Petrol

Soldato
Are there any car 'systems' that will give you mpg telemetry overlayed on a journey map (like hrm on a smartwatch!)
so you can see what happened when you were a few length back on an artic say, inclines, or, are thinking of joining the hypermiler club. ?

Associate
News has just reported the autumn budget could see rises of up to 8 pence per litre. Queue the usual supermarket price wars where if you spend £50 in store get 8 pence off every litre.

nam

nam

Soldato
Strange i have never filled up my S4 with anything but unleaded as advised by Audi , where as i had a Golf R previously and always was Super Unleaded. Not sure if the extra gains are noticeable though

Soldato
You realise you are arguing with Simon, who has worked in the oil and fuel business for decades? I trust him more than your anecdotal evidence.

For reference, 99Momentum doesnt have additives. It is 95RON with additional ethanol to boost the RON, it is not a superior fuel at all.

V-Power and Ultimate, you are right.

As someone else said, of course M99 has additives. Tesco and Greenergy are both pretty clear about that. M99 is not '95 RON with added ethanol to boost the RON' as both their 95 and 99 RON fuels are ~5% ethanol, which is the legal maximum. Quite where you get these nuggets, I'm unsure. Perhaps you're confusing its listed oxygenates content (including methanol)?

As for not being a superior fuel 'at all', what exactly are you measuring? Tesco's M99 tends to have a better/higher MON than Shell VPower, according to both companies' respective spec sheets. The same spec sheet, incidentally, that also shows V-Power's 'typical value' for ethanol is... *drum roll*... ~5%.

As an aside, is @Simon the Simon from Harvest Energy?

V-Power and Momentum 99 come from two different refineries and are unique to those refineries, so different base stocks. M99 has always been 5% ethanol, whilst V-Power and its predecessors has always listed up to 5% on their spec list so it isn't known exactly how much is present.

Which refineries? The only refinery in the UK producing 99 RON base fuel is Essar Stanlow. This is the basis for Shell V-Power (unless they're temporarily barging in V-Power fuel from Rotterdam during shortages), and also Momentum 99, Costco 99, Essar 99 and Gulf 99 Endurance. As I said above, Shell list the 'typical' ethanol value for V-Power as 5%, with a range between 0% to 5%.

ETA: As for 'different base stocks', the base stocks will differ hour to hour and day to day even in the same refinery. That's what happens when you're relying on using natural resources dug out of the ground in different places.

Going back to my test of using higher RON. Seemingly after 2 weeks I am back to no discernable difference in MPG, so my suspicion is the car has now learned and adjusted to this. I am using some more to see how it goes over a month or so.

What i do expect is that when I drop back to regular it will initially feel worse, based on the opposite effect taking place.

I will probably still use premium at times, and I do still think it seems to provide a little more torque at lower revs, but seems no diff at high revs, nor smoother (but only 7.5k miles on car)

Soldato
Which refineries? The only refinery in the UK producing 99 RON base fuel is Essar Stanlow. This is the basis for Shell V-Power (unless they're temporarily barging in V-Power fuel from Rotterdam during shortages), and also Momentum 99, Costco 99, Essar 99 and Gulf 99 Endurance. As I said above, Shell list the 'typical' ethanol value for V-Power as 5%, with a range between 0% to 5%.
FWIW does that refinery( fractional-distillation part ) just produce 95 though, and the ethanol blending is just a final 'easy' mixing in, to raise it to 99, as is adding the detergent package;
the 95 from that refinery could be distributed as regular (which, if any, garages, that have 95 w/o corrosive ethanol ?)

ETA: As for 'different base stocks', the base stocks will differ hour to hour and day to day even in the same refinery. That's what happens when you're relying on using natural resources dug out of the ground in different places.
do you mean there might be a discernible difference for the consumer ? doesn't the fractional distillation normalise it. ?

So updating after a month now. Having stuck rigidly to premium fuels for a month, and now almost a week of normal, i am happy to conclude that for a newish Audi TFSi the results :

Premium do seem to feel like they give a little more torque at lower revs, as I mentioned before seem to end up going slightly faster but without trying. Definately no noticeable difference at high revs/full throttle. Although to stand out this would have to be remarkable so I am not surprised that if there is any difference it would not be noticable.

MPG now the surprise. It made zero detectable difference over 4 full tanks of premium fuels. A few times the on board seemed to record high MPG figures, but come fill up the amounts used were exactly the same as any other week. Nothing detectable as an improvement. My car has just covered 8k. The MPG seemed to go up in the summer but seems to have remained at this now. Probably as up to mid summer the engine was not fully run in.

My car usage is probably fairly unique. I basically use my car for work, and a weekly shopping trip. We use the others halves company car for the rest as the other trips tend to be places like wickes, the allotment, which the tt isnt that well suited for ;)
So my weekly mileage varies by around 5 miles it seems. Same route every day at the same time, give or take 10-15 minutes or so. As around 2/3 is cross country is also pretty much traffic free and the bits that aren't cross country are also pretty consistent in some urban estate/town driving in a relatively uncongested area.

Back
Top Bottom