Petrol

Soldato
So the ethanol content boosts the octane rating but the additives differ and these can clean the engine better than others.

I wonder what the additives consist of? Any petrol is an excellent cleaner an I'm sure most of us have used it for cleaning.

Soldato
I'm confused - what are you comparing that only costs you 3p / L more (1.50 increase over 50l tank) ?
... as remarked vpower premium is 15p/L, are you comparing momentum & vpower ???
I'm going off vpower (which is what I use) and the cost saving of paying more for fuel vs increased mpg. I hope that makes sense. I can understand if you get 40+ mpg but on powerful cars that ain't going to happen.

Edit I'm sure where I fill up there's only about 10p a litre difference between regular and premium.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm going off vpower (which is what I use) and the cost saving of paying more for fuel vs increased mpg. I hope that makes sense. I can understand if you get 40+ mpg but on powerful cars that ain't going to happen.

Edit I'm sure where I fill up there's only about 10p a litre difference between regular and premium.

40+mpg can and does happen on "powerful" cars. I've seen as much as 45mpg on a steady 70mph motorway run in my 300bhp MX5, pretty sure @Havana_UK got some pretty impressive economy from his M135i too

Soldato
My M135i regularly gets 50-55mpg in eco on 50mph roadwork motorway... (which seems to be more and more of the motorway network whenever I try to go anywhere).
I'm talking the next level up 400hp powerful, and 50mph average is not what I meant. If you are driving them as intended you won't be getting good economy, (and TBH im sceptical that and m135 gets better mpg than my wife's old 1.4 fiesta). Quite impressive with the mx5 though as I thought with a supercharge you end up sacrificing economy all the time (which ] guess it has done).

Soldato
OK if the vpower is 1.40 and normal 1.30 and mpg 20->22 so 10 % increase then 22/20 * 1.3/1.4 * £70Vfill-up would have cost 71.50 for a normal tank
and would loose a pound with a 15p increase difference ... but the detergents would probably still justify it.

curious that none of these dam petrol stations web publish their v/momentum/premium prices ... I'll have to do a drive past (2 mile delta trip would still be quids in)

Associate
I'm talking the next level up 400hp powerful, and 50mph average is not what I meant. If you are driving them as intended you won't be getting good economy, (and TBH im sceptical that and m135 gets better mpg than my wife's old 1.4 fiesta). Quite impressive with the mx5 though as I thought with a supercharge you end up sacrificing economy all the time (which ] guess it has done).
8th gear at tick over and it sits at 50mph - thus why it's occasionally better mpg than a 1.4 fiesta. yeah, that's not how to typically drive the car, but I was just confirming the previous post suggesting 40+mpg should be do-able with a M135i. get off the motorway and into sport and soon in the teens. tbh, my combined mpg with a lot of stop-start commuting is about 27-28mpg, which is v similar to my previous NC 2.0 mx5 and a hell of a lot better than my 6mps prior to that - so, in my eyes it's great mpg for a 326 brake hatchback. As to whether the majority would deem it "powerful" is a different debate

Soldato
OK if the vpower is 1.40 and normal 1.30 and mpg 20->22 so 10 % increase then 22/20 * 1.3/1.4 * £70Vfill-up would have cost 71.50 for a normal tank
and would loose a pound with a 15p increase difference ... but the detergents would probably still justify it.

curious that none of these dam petrol stations web publish their v/momentum/premium prices ... I'll have to do a drive past (2 mile delta trip would still be quids in)

Momentum is always 5p more than the normal fuel. You normally find the momentum price is actually lower than a shells standard fuel price.

Then she'll add anything between 10-18p per L onto their standard price for Vpower.

Today I thought about filling up, I happened to drive a new way home and found a localised shell garage. ApprochAppr it I noticed the standard fuel price was £1.34 Per L.

Their Vpower was £1.49 Per L.

I then went to my local Tesco which was 5miles out of my way... And it was £1.29 for Momentum.....

There is a clear reason why I fill my car with Momentum lol

Soldato
8th gear at tick over and it sits at 50mph - thus why it's occasionally better mpg than a 1.4 fiesta. yeah, that's not how to typically drive the car, but I was just confirming the previous post suggesting 40+mpg should be do-able with a M135i. get off the motorway and into sport and soon in the teens. tbh, my combined mpg with a lot of stop-start commuting is about 27-28mpg, which is v similar to my previous NC 2.0 mx5 and a hell of a lot better than my 6mps prior to that - so, in my eyes it's great mpg for a 326 brake hatchback. As to whether the majority would deem it "powerful" is a different debate
Fair enough i was going to ask if you were sure it wasn't a 116d with an m badge on it:D. TBH that shows the whole issue with 'official' mpg figures, yea with turbos if you cruise its good as the engine is smaller, but as soon as you press on i would guess its not that different to a larger N/A engine with a similar amount of power. And as the other guy said, i did try looking at websites and found the same, at least drive a 4.0litre V8 means i never have to wait long to visit the petrol station:p.

Soldato
40+mpg can and does happen on "powerful" cars. I've seen as much as 45mpg on a steady 70mph motorway run in my 300bhp MX5, pretty sure @Havana_UK got some pretty impressive economy from his M135i too
The best I saw, door to door, from the M135i was 44.4mpg (Leeds to Milton Keynes). Over 72k miles in 2 1/2 years I averaged 34.3mpg from it, and that included 2 track days and 2 trips to Germany including 8 laps of the Nurburgring. In the M3 I've averaged 29.1mpg over 18k miles so far, and that also includes 2 trips to Germany, one of which also included 8 laps of the Ring.

Driven gently a high capacity, high powered car can achieve very good economy purely because the engine is under very little load. This was demonstrated to some extent when Top Gear did the race between the Prius and the M3, where they drove the Prius as fast as they could around the track and just kept up with it in the M3, with the M3 using less fuel than the Prius.

Caporegime
Apart from an M3 V8 which is crap on fuel however you drive it.

It’s turbos that make the difference. Huge amount of efficiency gain on cruising speeds.

Soldato

It’s turbos that make the difference. Huge amount of efficiency gain on cruising speeds.
Yea it's quite a bit lower than I thought it would be. My old 911 which was a 3.6 litre twin turbo and 420 HP got low 30s on the motorway but that was basically just idling.

Soldato

Heh I'd say it's the other way round when cruising with turbos. Staying OFF the turbo when cruising will give better MPG.

Back
Top Bottom