Anyone Using an Asus DSL-AC68U

Associate
this dsl modem is an utter pile of crap, i wish i'd never layed my hands or even eyes on it. Anyhow, how does the ac88u compare to this being a broadcom ? Does it actually work without dropping connection?

Soldato
My personal approach was to go with an ECI/HG612 and buy a conventional router rather than a combined modem/router. I combined it with an AC56U as it had the same ram/Arm CPU as the AC68 and I use Unifi AP's for wifi.

Soldato
The ECI can run DDWRT, the HG612 has settings available when you connect to it, what exactly do you want to tweak/have access to and at what sort of level?

AIO devices combining modem, router/firewall and AP functions rarely do all three well. For example non of the AIO devices I've ever used have had great wifi (same house/position), that's an ASUS, BT HH5 and 6, SR101/102, TPlink, they all pale in comparison to the Unifi AP, even more so when it's deployed centrally. Most of them have other frustrating limitations such as user count (SR102), poor firewall options (BT HH's) and generally they just suck. If you split modem functions off, you have technically superior options such as DDWRT based firmwares for the ASUS (Merlin, Tomato etc.) or PfSense (they now do a single arm based box option) or things like the ERL/Microtik.

Without knowing exactly what you need, it's hard to recommend something specific.

Associate
Basically we have 5 people in the house and most are streaming or gaming at all times in the evening, so i want qos with decent flexibility in limiting bandwidth on all devices. I want to be able to port forward and dmz relatively easily . I like how the ac68u performs as a router its just is completely sucks at being a modem. I like to see my line stats, im prone to having line faults , plusnet/ bt have fixed 3 in the last 4 years, So i'd like to be able to spot high error counts , resets , loss of sync etc Also.

Soldato
this dsl modem is an utter pile of crap, i wish i'd never layed my hands or even eyes on it. Anyhow, how does the ac88u compare to this being a broadcom ? Does it actually work without dropping connection?

I don't know if you read all this thread but I had same issue as you on my ex Asus DSL-AC68 modem (dropping connection every few days even when just browsing which is no no for me and online gaming), so much so I replaced with with a Broadcom based chipset TP-Link VR900, best move I made, the thing is rock solid, to answer your question it should be miles better then the AC68, I've always had good luck with Broadcom based chipsets, so unless Asus mess it up you should be ok :) .

Associate
Hi all,
So after many firmware updates I decided to give this another try. Default settings still gave me massive instability, so then I started to play with them to try and see if I could determine what's causing me the instability. So far it's looking like the bit swapping was, the moment I disabled it I didn't get the massive CRC error spikes or loss of syncs within a few hours. The moment I re-enable it I seem to get the instability return.

I'm posting my results over at another forum however, so to save posting in multiple places if anyone wants to keep up with my findings then see the Kitz forum post I've made.

Soldato
Hmmmm

I've nabbed me a used one of these from the MM

Starting to think I may have made a mistake now after skim reading this thread lol.

Well, I'm on a Huawei cabinet, and I'm fairly close and have what I would call a good line, so the odds are in my favor there at least

I guess if I don't have much luck with it I can always just use it as a standalone router with my Openreach modem.

Associate
With the latest firmwares I have had no issues, whereas when it was released it wouldnt stay up for more than an hour or two. For me at least, its a rock solid bit of kit now with excellent wifi signal.

Good luck!

Soldato
Thanks, that gives me hope lol.

It would be great if the modem works well for me, if not, its not the end of the world if I have to use my old one I guess.

Improved wifi is the main reason I've got it. I'm part of the wired master race, but the boy has his PC in the lounge and gets terrible wifi connection that's really not suitable for even light online gaming. I've purchased 2 different wifi cards for it, so fingers crossed the router will finally sort it out and I can stop breaking out the 20m ethernet cable when he wants to play rocket league (which upsets the mrs)

Associate
but will ask me if i want to test the new 88u.so you can see where is the problem.

I'm an heavy gamer, I'd love to take an dsl-ac88u to test...
I'm pretty mad about this atm (on BT UK) , even if I could upgrade otherwise atm I wouldn't have faith something similar wouldn't happen again.
I saw on the Asus forum they seemed to think it was going to be fixed in upcoming firmware, and then on whatsyourrouter the discussion seemed to suggest that was unlikely, now this thread isn't very positive either :(

Soldato
I decided to use this in router only mode with a HG612 in the end. Couldn't be happier really. the WIFI is amazing. In the garden (where I smoke) I couldn't even get a signal with plusnet's router. Now, I get 43Mb/s / 5 bars :O

I know its not really acceptable that the modem is junk in these, but for the price I paid, I'm more than happy. I don't really mind having a 2 box solution, but yeah, it sucks for those who do and paid good money for a crappy solution :/

Associate
Hello there
Have had an DSL-AC68U for around 12 months now and worked a treat, no connection drop off in the last 39 days (approx steady 37mbs download speed, ISP is EE). Installed with the latest firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384_21128 and Trend signature software. Problem is with the PS4 for on-line gaming i.e. Fortnite , it frequently comes up intermittently with a network error, lost network. The PS4 is LAN connected but this occurs when I have tried it with WIFI connected. No other device in my house suffers connection problems ! Just wandering if this has something to do with QOS settings, trend signature protection settings or something else!
Connected my old Bright Box 2 router today and the problem has gone away, (this router is limited with settings etc) but works ok with the PS4.
PS4 has the latest firmware 5.56

Any ideas or what this could be ;););););););)
Thanks
Jonsey

Soldato
Hello there
Have had an DSL-AC68U for around 12 months now and worked a treat, no connection drop off in the last 39 days (approx steady 37mbs download speed, ISP is EE). Installed with the latest firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384_21128 and Trend signature software. Problem is with the PS4 for on-line gaming i.e. Fortnite , it frequently comes up intermittently with a network error, lost network. The PS4 is LAN connected but this occurs when I have tried it with WIFI connected. No other device in my house suffers connection problems ! Just wandering if this has something to do with QOS settings, trend signature protection settings or something else!
Connected my old Bright Box 2 router today and the problem has gone away, (this router is limited with settings etc) but works ok with the PS4.
PS4 has the latest firmware 5.56

Any ideas or what this could be ;););););););)
Thanks
Jonsey

Has the problem just started? Have you recently updated the firmware? Have you tried swapping LAN ports?

Associate
Hello there
I have tried different LAN ports and different cables but the problem is still there, but the strange thing is it happens with WIFI as well
It has being happening for around 6 weeks ago
Thanks

Soldato
Hello there
I have tried different LAN ports and different cables but the problem is still there, but the strange thing is it happens with WIFI as well
It has being happening for around 6 weeks ago
Thanks

Strange behaviour. Can you remember if it had a firmware update around then? If not, you may have to try a factory reset and setup again.
Edit: if you have changed any settings since before the issue began, try changing them back. There could be a bug somewhere.

Associate
Hello again
I updated the ASUS router on the 12th of July this year to the latest version of which is around 6 weeks ago. Have made no other settings changes at all. Might be worth going back to the older ASUS firmware perhaps?
Thanks again:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom