Anyone Using an Asus DSL-AC68U

Associate
I bought one a while back and it was shocking.

It disconnected from the internet daily.

Luckily I managed to send it back for a full refund.

I am now using a Netgear D6400 which is rock solid.

Suspended
Help Please.

Got the DSL-AC68U and I can set it up so that the DSL line is up and I can get stats such as line speed etc but it says its disconnected from the internet. When I first connected it the updated firmware was downloaded ok, so I think it was working. Now after the update I cannot get the internet access. Any help would be great, tried searching this thread but cannot find anything.

Soldato
I bought one a while back and it was shocking.

It disconnected from the internet daily.

Luckily I managed to send it back for a full refund.

I am now using a Netgear D6400 which is rock solid.

Same issue I had on my ex Asus AC68 , however I purchased a rock solid TP-LINK VR900 (best purchase I made this year, got to love the three year warranty it has, just like like Asus).

Soldato
Help Please.

Got the DSL-AC68U and I can set it up so that the DSL line is up and I can get stats such as line speed etc but it says its disconnected from the internet. When I first connected it the updated firmware was downloaded ok, so I think it was working. Now after the update I cannot get the internet access. Any help would be great, tried searching this thread but cannot find anything.

Double check all your router/modem settings are correct, try a hardware reset and see if that helps.

Associate
Hi All, new here but purchased a DSL-AC68U this weekend and have managed to get it setup on sky replacing the SR102. To be honest I wish I'd read the threads here first as I'd have probably gone for the netgear D7000 if I had!

Still, I've got the DSL-AC68U and looks like I might be stuck with it now due to pcworld's sealed and un-used returns policy.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice, the modem/router ran overnight for 7 hours with no recorded CRC's on the interface and U/D both on fasttrack. So far so good.

I have one issue which is basically exactly the same as described here...

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac68u-hostname-conflict.26264/

I have a Samsung smart TV which is producing the error below as Samsung seem to have given their smart hub the name "localhost", this doesn't appear anywhere on the TV and can't be changed. The biggest issue is that it seems when I try to stream from the smart TV (eg. Netflix) it starts ok, but then takes down the DSL-AC68U and causes a disconnect!

Aug 13 08:34:00 dnsmasq-dhcp[464]: not giving name localhost to the DHCP lease of 192.168.1.34 because the name exists in /etc/hosts with address 127.0.0

In the link above they talk about using the merlin firmware as a workaround but my understanding is that is just for the router version of this rather than the modem/router. Any ideas for a workaround?

Thanks for any help!

Associate
As an update to this and answering some of my own questions...

There is no merlin support for the DSL version of this router so that route is out. I haven't been able to find a way using the native firmware to allocate a new name when the TV requests its IP so looks like I am stuck with this issue.

As another option I'm considering taking this back to swap for the netgear D7000 as a lot of people seem to find the D7000 more stable when working with sky anyway.

Does anyone happen to know what name the netgear uses as its default host? Am I likely to have the same DHCP "localhost" conflict with the netgear?

Associate
I, like many, have had enough of the DSL-AC68U but would like to know the settings for using it in Router-Only mode. I have a Huawei HG612 and cannot get the DSL-AC68U to successfully connect to Sky's fibre broadband. I've read that Sky require username and password, which I've entered, but it doesnt work. If you have been successful in getting this setup working (for Sky Fibre), could you share your config?

Associate
I, like many, have had enough of the DSL-AC68U but would like to know the settings for using it in Router-Only mode. I have a Huawei HG612 and cannot get the DSL-AC68U to successfully connect to Sky's fibre broadband. I've read that Sky require username and password, which I've entered, but it doesnt work. If you have been successful in getting this setup working (for Sky Fibre), could you share your config?

The Sky Username/Password you need isn't the one from your account, it's the one that's hard-baked in to the Sky Hub or Sky Router. If that's the one you have done then ignore, but if not then that's why it isn't working. Have a look on google or youtube for "sky username password wireshark" and you should find some some guides that will help. Look for recent ones as I think the process has changed a little over time. It is not a simple process but it is possible.

Suspended
Help Please.

Still struggling with this. Could anyone please let me know their settings they have that are working with BT infinity. Please it's driving me mad!!

Associate
Hi Guys

I had this router for quite some time, and served me very well.

We recently had to take down the power to the socket on the ground floor to allow the electrician to do some work. We did not gracefully power off the router first, so power was stopped abruptly to the router.

Now when you power it on, its does not connect to the internet, the DSL light is lit, but no internet LED, no Wifi SSID's are broadcasted, and I have tried to use the restore / recovery software to update the firmware after putting the router into recovery mode with no avail.

No IP address to the router is provided, so I cant even ping it, physically connected a laptop to the router via Ethernet in or out of recovery mode does not let me communicate with it anyway.

Any ideas here?

Thanks

Soldato
Hi All, new here but purchased a DSL-AC68U this weekend and have managed to get it setup on sky replacing the SR102. To be honest I wish I'd read the threads here first as I'd have probably gone for the netgear D7000 if I had!

Still, I've got the DSL-AC68U and looks like I might be stuck with it now due to pcworld's sealed and un-used returns policy.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice, the modem/router ran overnight for 7 hours with no recorded CRC's on the interface and U/D both on fasttrack. So far so good.

I have one issue which is basically exactly the same as described here...

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac68u-hostname-conflict.26264/

I have a Samsung smart TV which is producing the error below as Samsung seem to have given their smart hub the name "localhost", this doesn't appear anywhere on the TV and can't be changed. The biggest issue is that it seems when I try to stream from the smart TV (eg. Netflix) it starts ok, but then takes down the DSL-AC68U and causes a disconnect!

Aug 13 08:34:00 dnsmasq-dhcp[464]: not giving name localhost to the DHCP lease of 192.168.1.34 because the name exists in /etc/hosts with address 127.0.0

In the link above they talk about using the merlin firmware as a workaround but my understanding is that is just for the router version of this rather than the modem/router. Any ideas for a workaround?

Thanks for any help!

Kinda strange you are having that issue with the Samsung TV as my Asus, when it was connected, worked fine. I haven't got it anymore as I binned it ages ago. I just used stock setting though and Netflix was ok.

Associate
I have samsung tv's , one of them is creating that error in the asus router,

Sep 26 16:05:17 dnsmasq-dhcp[444]: not giving name localhost to the DHCP lease of 192.168.1.34 because the name exists in /etc/hosts with address 127.0.0.1

it is working fine, no other issues, just that constant error message every 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I think we've probably established by now that the Asus is a flawed product, so spurious issues are unsurprising. That's why I got rid of mine early on when OC and Asus failed in their promises to support us..

Back
Top Bottom