Anova Precision Cooker - cook sous vide with your iPhone.

Soldato
So away for the week and the sous vide being used a few times. Did some lovely apples with cinnamon this evening which then got thickened up and used as a crumble. Absolutely spot on!

And now got my second ever bunch of carnitas on the go!

Soldato
Apples for crumbles/pies 71c off the top of my head with some cinnamon and brown sugar. Then quick thicken up and chuck into the dish you want to finish.

Serious eats honey glazed carrots are also very good.

Soldato
Alright guys. So I’m cooking a fairly simple roasting joint of beef from M&S this evening. Essentially doing a roast but going to sous vide the meat then brown it off.

My question is how would you recommend making a gravy? I’m debating doing more of a red wine jus but also unsure where to go with that. Any pointers/ideas? :)

Man of Honour
Alright guys. So I’m cooking a fairly simple roasting joint of beef from M&S this evening. Essentially doing a roast but going to sous vide the meat then brown it off.

My question is how would you recommend making a gravy? I’m debating doing more of a red wine jus but also unsure where to go with that. Any pointers/ideas? :)

We use the liquid from the sous vide bag in a pan, and just treat it like normal really. It's a different flavour than normal roast gravy, but still tasty.

Soldato
We use the liquid from the sous vide bag in a pan, and just treat it like normal really. It's a different flavour than normal roast gravy, but still tasty.
Thanks, I thikn I'll try doing a quick pan sauce with a glass of red wine, butter etc. But the bag juices (mmm bag juices :p) will probably help so I'll save those. It's not mainly bloody though is it? :confused:

Associate
Just ordered one but got carried away and forgot to put the discount code on.

Spoke to a customer support member and they've said they will refund the difference.

Excited to have a go with it.

What bags do people use?

Soldato
My brother is really keen to get one. But his wife is convinced that cooking food in plastic is a terrible idea as 'the plastic gets into your food'.

She is a trained nurse so any links to proper medical research showing that using food grade plastics is safe would be amazing. I've googled it and not managed to find anything from a reputable source.

Associate
I did beetroot, red and rainbow, 85C for 1 hour and then finished in a little bit of butter on a hot pan.

To say they were sensational would be an understatement.

same with the carrots.

These were from our allotment so were probably a bit nicer than shop bought but will try with shop beets this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom