F1 2019 - Teams and Drivers - Who goes where?!

Man of Honour
Will be interesting to see if Vettel can beat Leclerc consistently.

Be funny if Leclerc ends up winning the title in his first year there. Definitely possible if Ferrari maintain this level of competitiveness.

Soldato
I just cannot see Longbow Finance releasing any of their ownership of Sauber to a driver. For starters, there's no need, they could just have another driver. Secondly, if they do want to exit the ownership in the future then that just complicates things and makes it a less attractive purchase. Longbow are Swedish through and through, with a bit of Swiss - not Finnish. It doesn't make any sense.

Soldato
This got posted to Reddit considering silly season being in full force:

gqeiq4b3nll11.png

Soldato
How do you know that? F1 wouldn't let a team like F1 drop off the grid.

Do you think it's ok for a below average driver's wealthy dad to come in, buy a team, boot out one of F1's up-and-coming talents for their son?

Man of Honour
Vettel must be shedding a few tears behind closed doors. Mercedes have finally started using Bottas as a true rear gunner and meanwhile at Ferrari, the team who have classically used team orders the most, Kimi is now out for himself. It also adds fuel to what many thought at Monza, Kimi was already aware of the situation and team orders are out the window. It could cost Vettel. At the very least it adds pressure.

Soldato
Isnt F1 pretty founded on poeple that could pay there way in to get cars etc?
Yeah but this is slightly different. When has a driver’s dad come in and bought a team so his son can have a drive at a better team? He clearly didn’t buy the team to be successful because if he did he wouldn’t be swapping his best driver for his below-average son.

Caporegime
Yeah but this is slightly different. When has a driver’s dad come in and bought a team so his son can have a drive at a better team? He clearly didn’t buy the team to be successful because if he did he wouldn’t be swapping his best driver for his below-average son.

Best driver? Isn't Perez staying and Ocon going?

I'm not sure why you think Stroll is that bad, his record prior to F1 is solid, he's done okay in a mediocre team. In his first season he was the only driver not in a top three car to take a podium. He wouldn't be a candidate for promotion without his dad's money but he's doing as well as can be expected in the car he's driving.

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
I have my reservations about Stroll, but i don't think he is that bad. His racing record in f3 and other series is not bad before f1.

His F3 record is the same almost as Hamilton, 5th in first year, winning dominantly second year, but he skipped up to F1 much earlier due to the way things are run nowerdays! (Max for example)

Technically, Stroll did better than Max also, as he actually won the F3 championship for a start. Although Max did better in his first year.

He is not as bad as people make out, hot headed, maybe, entitled, perhaps, but rubbish? I don't think so!

*edit*
@Mr Jack beat me to it!

I'm not sure why you think Stroll is that bad, his record prior to F1 is solid, he's done okay in a mediocre team. In his first season he was the only driver not in a top three car to take a podium. He wouldn't be a candidate for promotion without his dad's money but he's doing as well as can be expected in the car he's driving.

Soldato

It's not happened in recent memory but we've had teams enter to run specific drivers. David Purley ran a team financed by the family business (LEC Refrigerators) in the 70s. There were number in the 89-91 period when the entry list exploded and media coverage was more muted. Most were with terrible teams that usually didn't make it onto the starting grid.

More recently we've have sponsors bankrolling/investing in teams who run certain drivers. Diniz and Maldonardo are prime candidates. With a bit of extension you can include Perez. Even Alonso brought considerable sponsorship from Santander a few years ago...

I've some reservations about Stroll, but he's got some talent. You don't fluke a podium at Baku.

Caporegime

If Mick finishes the F3 season in the same sort of form he's in at the moment he'll beat Ticktum to the title. And get enough points for his Superlicence. Unlike Ticktum who, even if he wins the F3 title won't have enough. Mick has said though that he wants a season in F2 at least. I wouldn't like Mick in F1, because he'd get never ending questions about his Dad and journalists trying to trip him up into saying things that haven't been released to the press.

Back
Top Bottom