• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Associate
Look nicer, run quicker.
'I think that DLSS thing is going to make these over the next couple of months go from being alright to mind blowing because it is 40% to 50 % difference and that could even grow when the deep learning stuff gets its teeth into things' Tiny Tom Logan

Last edited:
Soldato
Not really, the value of the pound tanked just before the 1070/80s came out. I think this is more down to the cards being on the same process node, having a larger transistor count, more power demands and more expensive cooling that the previous round. If they have been on a new process node I'd expect them to have been cheaper (maybe £900 for the Ti, £650 for the 2080 and £500 for the 1070). If the boards and chips are ~£100 more expensive compared to the previous round, then Nvidia want to keep the same margins on them (Probably ~100% I expect), and you then VAT the total, I think you get close to these price increases sadly. The $ prices were actually higher than the £ prices numerically for once, so it's not the value of the £.

The 1080Ti was nearly £800 on release day IIRC.

Do you mean markup rather than margin mate?

I think this is down to more silicon and Nvidia being very greedy, the latter being the dominant cause.

Soldato
Do you mean markup rather than margin mate?

I think this is down to more silicon and Nvidia being very greedy, the latter being the dominant cause.

Same thing (I thought, but I'm not in finance). If it costs them $500 to manufacture I'd expect them to be looking for 100% markup/margin.

Associate
the only game i wanted to see benchies for was GTA 5, and the 2080 is ~5% slower than the 1080ti according to gamersnexus
Hardware Unboxed says meanwhile a 37% higher average for the 2080ti over the 1080ti in GTAV at 4k and the 2080 3% worse.
The 2080 is a hard sell at the moment. I'm hearing the memory bandwidth on the 2080 may be holding it back in some situations. It outdoes the 1080ti a little in as many games as it does worse.

Last edited:
Soldato
Back
Top Bottom