• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Err no. The 2080Ti is a replacement for the 1080Ti not the Titan Xp. There is no Titan in this lineup. If there was it would probably have the same number of cores enabled as the quadro RTX 8000 and have 24GB of GDDR6. The 2080 is a replacement for the 1080. The 2070 is an oddball as it's not a cut down 2080, doesn't support multi GPU and isn't as good as a 1080Ti. Prices are very high for each segment though.
You might be right in terms of specs and market segments but I'm thinking more in terms of performance and price, where I believe you can't rationally call a 2080 Ti a "replacement" for a 1080 Ti. For the same cash I can get either a 1080 Ti or a 2070. I know which one I'd buy.

Fascinating, so the new RTX 2080 is almost exactly equivalent to 1080ti - and Paladine told us all that the regular 2080 is light years ahead of 1080ti :D

Last time I saw him he was having a pop at me for disparaging the 20 series. I think some people just got their hopes too high and didn’t like people knocking the cards.

I’m sure people who bought them will enjoy them, but a lot of us saw this coming. It’s the prices that really kill it, they’re obscene, without a performance leap to justify them.

Hopefully those dissatisfied get a chance to cancel, and those who’re happy get to enjoy their cards as soon as possible.

You might be right in terms of specs and market segments but I'm thinking more in terms of performance and price, where I believe you can't rationally call a 2080 Ti a "replacement" for a 1080 Ti. For the same cash I can get either a 1080 Ti or a 2070. I know which one I'd buy.

Yep

Considering the Titan X Maxwell was £900 in 2015 and was the flagship GPU, and the 980Ti was about £699 a few months later - The 2080Ti certainly looks poor value.

Last time I saw him he was having a pop at me for disparaging the 20 series. I think some people just got their hopes too high and didn’t like people knocking the cards.

I’m sure people who bought them will enjoy them, but most of us saw this coming. It’s the prices that really kill it, they’re obscene, without a performance leap to justify them.

Hopefully those dissatisfied get a chance to cancel, and those who’re happy get to enjoy their cards as soon as possible.
I think he just wanted to be better than all of us, and was hoping the 20 series would elevate himself to a god like level! (What with giving away houses for free as well) :p

Yep

Considering the Titan X Maxwell was £900 in 2015 and was the flagship GPU, and the 980Ti was about £699 a few months later - The 2080Ti certainly looks poor value.
I think I can distil GamersNexus' RTX 2080 review down to the following sentence: "The FE 2080 is a hotter-running, more expensive AIB 1080 Ti."

As I thought - Jay summed it up.

Each generation has been 25% more performance for the same cost as the previous generation until you hit the 10 series and now taking it to a new level the 20 series 25% performance for 70% cost increase.... yeah right. So glad I bought my 1080ti.

It's the £££.

If the 2080 was £600 and the 2080ti £800 with a £450 2070 I think reviews would be a much more positive tone.

Not really, the value of the pound tanked just before the 1070/80s came out. I think this is more down to the cards being on the same process node, having a larger transistor count, more power demands and more expensive cooling that the previous round. If they have been on a new process node I'd expect them to have been cheaper (maybe £900 for the Ti, £650 for the 2080 and £500 for the 1070). If the boards and chips are ~£100 more expensive compared to the previous round, then Nvidia want to keep the same margins on them (Probably ~100% I expect), and you then VAT the total, I think you get close to these price increases sadly. The $ prices were actually higher than the £ prices numerically for once, so it's not the value of the £.

The 1080Ti was nearly £800 on release day IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom