• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Soldato
So what they've done is renamed everything (Titan Xp -> 2080 Ti, 1080 Ti -> 2080), added two new features (DLSS & ray tracing), and bumped the price up. Sad times.

This was supposed to be the generation that brought 2160p60 gaming to the masses but no, the barrier to entry is identical, unless of course DLSS becomes widespread, in which case "sort of" 2160p60 will probably be possible with an RTX 2070. That's not terribly helpful though given the 1080 Ti is currently cheaper and faster.

Err no. The 2080Ti is a replacement for the 1080Ti not the Titan Xp. There is no Titan in this lineup. If there was it would probably have the same number of cores enabled as the quadro RTX 8000 and have 24GB of GDDR6. The 2080 is a replacement for the 1080. The 2070 is an oddball as it's not a cut down 2080, doesn't support multi GPU and isn't as good as a 1080Ti. Prices are very high for each segment though.

Associate
As expected: overhyped, overpriced, and underperforming.

I was set to ditch my 980Ti but it looks like I'm sitting this gen out too.

Soldato
well for us only upgrade would be 2080ti . You expected to replace 1080ti with 2080 ?? You missed all leaked numbers and calculations from last 3 weeks ???
No i expected to replace my 1080ti with a 2080ti..... Plus... come on, speculation is speculation, i was waiting for actual benchmarks that are verified 100%.

Soldato
Unfortunately reviews are about what I expected. Exciting new technology, but performance progression in-line / below what we’ve come to expect, with prices that are bonkers high.

The 2080ti does indeed look impressive, but then it’s hundreds of pounds more than it’s predecessor, with zero launch titles to support the new technology.

I genuinely hope those who bought it are delighted with their purchase and enjoy them, as I’m sure they will. I feel most excited for people coming from 5 and 6 series cards; crazy performance jump.

Nothing from reviews has changed my mind yet, but there’s still time I guess. If the prices dropped down in-line with the 10 series I would probably bite, though I’ll likely wait for Navi and 7nm Turing. There’s no way I’m going to encourage prices like these by spending my hard earned spondoolies on them; PC gaming has had enough knocks recently, and I don’t really want to be a part of another one.

Last edited:
Associate
The spec sheet alone should have told everyone it wasn't worth it.

If they had released 2080 at the same price as 1080ti then there would be no discussion at all, but for all intents and purposes with the games available today and in the near future .... it's overpriced.

Permabanned
No i expected to replace my 1080ti with a 2080ti..... Plus... come on, speculation is speculation, i was waiting for actual benchmarks that are verified 100%.
Guess You not following rescent years. Them GPU benchmarks looked so poor that made them real. It's taht way around now. The crap ones turns out to be correct :D

It's like Vega all over again.... Benchmarks and leaks ware crap and... card was crap :D

Caporegime
It's the £££.

If the 2080 was £600 and the 2080ti £800 with a £450 2070 I think reviews would be a much more positive tone.

Agreed, Nvidia have just taken the **** with their pricing, the big selling point is ray tracing of which there are no games currently and the top end card is barely fast enough to run at proper PC resolutions.

It's not their fault there's currently no RT games obviously, but you're paying for something that is like a preview showcase for future tech and by the time those RT enabled games are in abundance this will be a dinosaur era card.

Associate
What an absolute disaster the 2000 series is, sold on the premise of ray tracing but not a single rtx game on launch and very few to come.
By time they do come the next gen will be out.

So we can only base it on how it runs todays games and its the ushal 25ish percent boost but like 70% more expensive.

So glad I bought my 1080ti last year for 625 quid, im genuinely glad there terrible priced as I don't need the temptation.

Associate
It's the £££.

If the 2080 was £600 and the 2080ti £800 with a £450 2070 I think reviews would be a much more positive tone.

Spot on. Sadly these chips are too big to support those price points though. The TU104 in the 2080 is a larger chip then the GP102 in the 1080ti/Titan xp for christ's sake! Add on the cost of GDDR6 and you have some expensive production costs and that's not even accounting for the fact that nvidia had to ask TSMC to make adjustments to their 16nm node specifically for these chips (thats what 12nm is). I doubt TSMC did that for free.

Back
Top Bottom