Nasty Gal ad banned over "underweight" model

Soldato
Pretty shocking that diabetes treatments accounts for 10% of the NHS budget.
and is increasing, yet we moan about a fat tax sugar tax and the likes, people clearly don't know what is good for them, and we either need too excluded prevenattable diseases from being free at the point of delivery, or starts charging in advance more for the items which cause it.

Soldato
They should have told the ASA where to go. If Nasty Gal was still run by Sophia Amoruso I suspect that is exactly what would have happened.

Soldato
The really skinny ones do look ill yea. But a land whale has no right criticising someone else's weight. The one in the AD isn't even THAT skinny. Even looks slightly toned.

The skinny one isn't going to get heart disease or diabetes (or any number of fat related problems). Then rely on the NHS to keep them alive at our expense, just because they couldn't stop eating KFC.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you really think that? Honestly? I worry..

If I breathe in you can see my ribs, which is exactly what she's doing. I'm slap bang in the middle of "healthy" BMI :confused: Seeing ribs /= anorexic.

With a healthy weight you should just about be able to see the sides of the rib cage. You shouldn't be able to see bone all over the body like some of the ultra skinny ones.

Last edited:
Caporegime
and is increasing, yet we moan about a fat tax sugar tax and the likes, people clearly don't know what is good for them, and we either need too excluded prevenattable diseases from being free at the point of delivery, or starts charging in advance more for the items which cause it.

We don't moan. Fat people and sjws do.

Caporegime
So, an advert showing a perfectly healthy model has been banned because she looked underweight, whereas it's perfectly ok for a morbidly obese "plus size model" to grace the cover of Cosmopolitan magazine? (Tess Halliday) :confused:

I don't understand the world we live in anymore... I give up. Just, no. :(

You all need to watch this to understand the mentality at play.

Soldato
Doesn't matter. "The Manchester-based online fashion retailer said the model was a UK size 8, with a body mass index (BMI) of 18.8, within the healthy weight range.".

"The Manchester-based online fashion retailer said the model was a UK size 8, with a body mass index (BMI) of 18.8, within the healthy weight range.".

"The Manchester-based online fashion retailer said the model was a UK size 8, with a body mass index (BMI) of 18.8, within the healthy weight range.".

Given the state of currently normalising fat heffers at the moment, I was very surprised to see one of these billboards near my house; https://www.prweek.com/article/1458...arch-uk-stands-anti-obesity-campaign-backlash Good on Cancer Research UK for telling it how it is. I've a right mind to donate to their cause.
Please. The bmi is fundimentaly flawed.

Soldato
Been saying for a long time, government should be pushing “healthy is sexy” not either end of the spectrum.

From my brief look at that article it seems like she has an athletic build? So you know... more healthy that the vast majority of people?

Soldato
OP
Please. The bmi is fundimentaly flawed.
So what? She's breathing in and arching her back. Anyone can look overly skinny doing that. It's a poor choice of shot to be included in the ad, but only because aesthetically her ribs are showing. You can look at pictures of super fit marathon runners and see their ribs...

Soldato
There is another side of this that isn't really getting discussed. Clothing IS getting bigger over time. Lots of people will be thinking they are maintaining their size but in reality their clothing is just getting bigger.

Soldato
Have to consider whether the Advertising Standards Asoociation are fit for purpose solely 22 votes to ban the advert, what kind of additional survey did they do of public opinion (Did an equal number of Sun readers disagree ?) can we get an advert banned - which one ?

looking at the ASA web-site eg these were not banned - bold faced lie first one ? lots of gems

Ad description
A TV ad for Eve Sleep, a mattress manufacturer, seen in July 2018, depicted a young woman who appeared to be pregnant. The ad began with the woman entering a pizza takeaway restaurant and being ushered to the front of a queue. It then cut to a scene showing the woman being given a seat on a crowded bus by an infirm, elderly man. Finally, the woman entered her home and removed a pillow from underneath her jumper before leaping onto the couch. The words 'HOW DOES SHE SLEEP AT NIGHT?' appeared on the screen followed by a scene of the young woman sleeping on an Eve mattress with the voice-over, "Nobody's perfect but you could have the perfect night's sleep thanks to our outrageously comfortable Eve mattresses".

Issue
The complainants challenged whether the portrayal of a woman benefitting from pretending to be pregnant was irresponsible and likely to cause serious or widespread offence.

Ad description
A poster ad for I Saw it First, a clothing brand, seen in June 2018 in various locations, featured the text “Ibiza x Demi Rose” and an image of a model wearing a sheer white dress without a bra.

Issue
The ASA received 24 complaints.

1. The complainants challenged whether the ad was offensive because the image of the model was overtly sexual and objectified women.

2. The complainants also challenged whether the ad was inappropriate for public display close to a school where it could be seen by children.

Soldato
I think she looks fine. My BMI is around 22 but I'd I was to arch my back like that and stick out my chest you would be able to see my cheat too. This is all ******** and the advert is completely fine in my opinion

Soldato
I've just shown the missus. She also agrees that there is nothing wrong with her figure. Its a shame that this advert has been banned by 22 votes..... Seems unreal that they will just shelve this advert that no doubt cost the company money and may even have an adverse affect on this young girls career!

Soldato
FFS, talk about going from one extreme to another......

Sounds like a size 8 model is quite reasonable compared to zero sized models a few years ago.

Don
Have to consider whether the Advertising Standards Asoociation are fit for purpose solely 22 votes to ban the advert, what kind of additional survey did they do of public opinion (Did an equal number of Sun readers disagree ?) can we get an advert banned - which one ?

looking at the ASA web-site eg these were not banned - bold faced lie first one ? lots of gems
It’s nothing to do with number of complaints, only one complaint is enough if an advert is deemed to not meet advertising rules.

Back
Top Bottom