**** The Official Google Pixel 3 Thread ****

Associate
I understood the point you were making and I agree with you. you mean why couldn't the pixel 3 do something similar to the mi mix. I assumed the next point against this was going to be people not wanting the camera and sensor at the bottom of the phone, so wondered why phones couldn't have a forehead instead of a chin?

Mobster
Soldato
I understood the point you were making and I agree with you. you mean why couldn't the pixel 3 do something similar to the mi mix. I assumed the next point against this was going to be people not wanting the camera and sensor at the bottom of the phone, so wondered why phones couldn't have a forehead instead of a chin?

Well I think they could.

The thing that’s so stupid about it on the Pixel 3 XL is you literally gain no actual benefit from the notch because no apps take advantage of it. You don’t actually gain any practical screen real estate so the majority of the time you end up with a normal display anyway.

I really don’t think Google would have sold fewer units if they sold it with the notch disabled by default to be quite honest.

As Samsung has demonstrated it can be done well without a notch and the speakers can still sound good.

If Google wants to compete with the iPhone on pricing they need to compete with it. Otherwise they should stop pretending.

I say this of course having pre-ordered a Pixel 3 :p

Do we have any idea on sales numbers for the 2/2 XL? I don’t think I ever saw one in the wild but I wonder if it now being on every carrier will make a difference. They surely must have seen a benefit to now all be carrying it I would have thought.

Soldato
I understand the point gigabit is making. Apple's design decision is sound. The rest are not. Case in point regarding the front speakers. Good design is how they've done it on the smaller pixel 3. You can guarantee all these notches appeared because apple did it. Yeah ok you move the notifications up a bit, but that doesn't make it a sound design choice.

I would however be happy if they properly blacked it out. That would be good. They could even get really clever and have a slight transparent effect when scrolling up as though it's moving underneath it.

Regarding the chins. Well yes it houses the speaker, but nobody other than apple can get bendy panels due to the sheer numbers they order so the chin would be there anyway. Front speakers are great tho.

We'll see next year with the pixel 4 now the ex HTC staff are running the show. I bet you anything it won't look like the XL.

If I were a betting man, I'd say the galaxy S10 won't have a notch....just super thin bezels. But it has silly curved edges so.......

I'm just pleased the smaller pixel 3 exists as I love it

First world problems eh?

Last edited:
Precisely so one wonders why Google bothered.

I don’t think that FPT YouTube guy was wrong when he said they were basically releasing this as that was all they had, then sacking that team and starting afresh next year. I think the Pixel 4 might be something special.

i've thought this for the last 2 years. every time i'm disappointed thinking ah well next year will be the one.

Associate
My 3 app lets me register my interest with more info to come tomorrow. £54/m for an XL with unlimited data and £99 upfront doesn't seem too bad?

Mobster
Soldato
I understand the point gigabit is making. Apple's design decision is sound. The rest are not. Case in point regarding the front speakers. Good design is how they've done it on the smaller pixel 3. You can guarantee all these notches appeared because apple did it. Yeah ok you move the notifications up a bit, but that doesn't make it a sound design choice.

I would however be happy if they properly blacked it out. That would be good. They could even get really clever and have a slight transparent effect when scrolling up as though it's moving underneath it.

We'll see next year with the pixel 4 now the ex HTC staff are running the show. I bet you anything it won't look like the XL.

If I were a betting man, I'd say the galaxy S10 won't have a notch....just super thin bezels. But it has silly curved edges so.......

I'm just pleased the smaller pixel 3 exists as I love it

First world problems eh?

Supposedly Samsung are releasing a flat version of the S10. I absolutely detest the curves on the S9.

Did you completely miss the point about the space?

i think you've missed the point.

lets look at the pixel 3 standard. it has a chin and a forehead. no one is complaining that it's pointless and not needed.

now let's look at how they could better use the same design. a very simple idea would be to add a bit of extra screen into the foreheard to allow the notifications to be higher up and give a bit more screen space.

ugly and really a waste of time imo, just as on the apple X it's the same as no one really needs that extra space, however it does have a purpose and does better use the empty space. just because there's another better way, doesn't mean it's pointless. no one is moaning about the wasted space on the pixel 3 with the forehead and chin doing nothing. but as soon as the 3 xl better uses the forehead, everyone goes out of their mind.

if the notch has been half the size, i'd say a lot more people would be happy. on the 3 xl, the notch is so big, that the notifications section is now taller than normal. look at the below image you can see the gap above the time is better on the xl than the standard, that's how big the fugly notch is.

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F860926%2F6faaa4fb-4a27-4e17-acc6-d12cab1e8b41.jpg

Soldato
This most certainly is not the case on the Google Pixel 3, nor the OnePlus 6, nor the Huawei P20, none of them have screens that curve back on themselves and none of them have screens that go to the bottom edge, they all have a massive chin. leaving the purpose of a notch pointless.

I'm happy with the display on my Note 9 not curving back on itself as the screen is a better experience both aesthetically and visually for me :)

"Dude my iPhone X screen curves back on itself that's awesome right?" said no-one ever.

Associate
If they had done the ears black like in an earlier post and kept the notifications where they are, that would have looked quite cool actually.

Doing the ears black but moving the whole status bar down into the main screen is a bit lame really.

The standard Pixel 3 looks by far the better buy to me, and I say that as a 2XL owner.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Also watching a video on the 3XL. At least on the 2XL the notifications disappear. A much better way to do it, IMO, and far less wasted space.

gay4lxs.jpg[img]

Back
Top Bottom