**** The Official Google Pixel 3 Thread ****

Associate
I went to a CPW in Telford today to have a look at both devices. I didn't take much time with the P3 as I already know it's too small for me but it felt nice in the hand.

The 3XL was also nice, felt well made and the screen (on both) looked great, with no sign of a blue tint from the brief time I had with it. My usage was a bit limited as it had no internet connection and the installed apps were few. I wanted to test a browser and maps to see how they perform with the notch but I wasn't able to.

The notch. You know what, if it had a real function, and by that I mean like hiding the face reading biometrics like the latest iPhones, then I would be ok with it. In general operation although it's oversized it's almost ok as it didn't interrupt the majority of the screen I just kept going back to "why?" I don't really have a good answer to that, and that's where I currently sit till I see a review of it in use with a selection of apps to see how I feel about it in general use.

Associate
With notch off I thought it will add black bar, but still use sides of the speaker, not switch it off completely lol its oled screen so it should be easy

Soldato
The notch. You know what, if it had a real function, and by that I mean like hiding the face reading biometrics like the latest iPhones, then I would be ok with it.

Again, can someone please explain this to me. Because none of them are face scanning biometrics, they don't count? I don't get it? The iPhone has more in it's notch than just face scanning biometrics?

**EDIT** Oh and one thing I'm interested about is the 40% louder speakers. The 2 XL's speakers were quite good already, so very interested in how the 3 XL will sound.

Mobster
Soldato
Again, can someone please explain this to me. Because none of them are face scanning biometrics, they don't count? I don't get it? The iPhone has more in it's notch than just face scanning biometrics?

**EDIT** Oh and one thing I'm interested about is the 40% louder speakers. The 2 XL's speakers were quite good already, so very interested in how the 3 XL will sound.

Your posts really are tiring.

I've already explained why the iPhone is unique and how every Android phone isn't, the notch is unneeded when they all have a massive chin.

Your posts really are tiring.

I've already explained why the iPhone is unique and how every Android phone isn't, the notch is unneeded when they all have a massive chin.

huh? there's nothing wrong with this post, as tbh if you feel you answered it already, it was a very very poor answer, that has still left andy, and myself, and i'm sure others, still wondering what the answer is.

to be clear as it seems you're not getting it.

people say it is needed on the X but not on pixel 3. they say it's needed as the X has face scanning, while the pixel 3 has a chin. so what? how do that solve the very clear issue of where to store 2 front facing cameras and a speaker?

you're not at all clear with your answer.

Mobster
Soldato
huh? there's nothing wrong with this post, as tbh if you feel you answered it already, it was a very very poor answer, that has still left andy, and myself, and i'm sure others, still wondering what the answer is.

to be clear as it seems you're not getting it.

people say it is needed on the X but not on pixel 3. they say it's needed as the X has face scanning, while the pixel 3 has a chin. so what? how do that solve the very clear issue of where to store 2 front facing cameras and a speaker?

you're not at all clear with your answer.

Let's try again.

The iPhone X/XS are unique. They have an OLED display that goes to the top and bottom corners, with barely any chin. The OLED display actually curves back on itself in order to go aall the way to the bottom edge. Because of this, Apple had nowhere to put the camera, speaker and technology for Face ID, there was no more space.

This most certainly is not the case on the Google Pixel 3, nor the OnePlus 6, nor the Huawei P20, none of them have screens that curve back on themselves and none of them have screens that go to the bottom edge, they all have a massive chin. leaving the purpose of a notch pointless.

Back
Top Bottom