Bohemian Rhapsody

Soldato
Watched Thursday, thought it was 10/10 best film I’ve seen this year, yet it’s been panned by critics, apparently it would have been better to see an 18 rated film with lots of unnecessary gay clubs with Freddie doing all sorts. My kids love Queen, they loved the film they don’t need to know all the ins and outs of his private life.

Soldato
I really enjoyed it too. From what I've read, this film is a "watered down" story, his private life being a lot "racier" that the film shows - but that in no way detracts from the film at all. I'd far rather that was implied than see on the screen anyway.
Music of course made the film, but it was well cast, well acted - yer, one of my favourites of the year.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Watched Thursday, thought it was 10/10 best film I’ve seen this year, yet it’s been panned by critics, apparently it would have been better to see an 18 rated film with lots of unnecessary gay clubs with Freddie doing all sorts. My kids love Queen, they loved the film they don’t need to know all the ins and outs of his private life.

Totally agree it was enough to imply certain scenes without going too far for the sake of it, some critics didn't like this and panned it labelling the story as inaccurate.

Associate
Just got back from the Cinema, really enjoyed the film. Pretty much worth it for the last 25 minutes alone! Thought Rami was great in it, some of the shots were actually quite un-nervingly similar (there was one with dim lights and Freddie was wearing sunglasses and may as well of been him!)

Anyone debating to go and remotely enjoys queen songs/rock music, please ignore the critics viewpoint. Definitely worth seeing in the Cinema too rather then waiting for home release (unless you have very placid neighbours and a beefy sound system!!).

Associate
I watched and really enjoyed this film, thought I'd google the reviews thinking it would be getting high scores but wow it's below average. I understand some of their points about lack of backstory with his family, but the film is quite long so there obviously had to be cuts in some areas.

Associate
I saw the movie on Thursday last week and I absolutely loved it. Was way to young to been able to see Queen live (I was 3 when they had that amazing gig at Wembley in 1986....) but so wish I could have seen them in their prime. Really amazing movie, great acting and just a wonderful movie.

Associate
My wife and I loved it! They definitely took a few liberties for the sake of the story (such as the timing of Freddie's diagnosis and telling the band being brought forward a few years) but it was probably our favourite movie of the year so far. We had just watched A Star is Born the previous weekend, and while we really enjoyed that too and it's getting better reviews from critics, we preferred Bohemian Rhapsody. Definitely one to see on a big screen and turned up loud!

Associate
I really enjoyed it too. From what I've read, this film is a "watered down" story, his private life being a lot "racier" that the film shows - but that in no way detracts from the film at all. I'd far rather that was implied than see on the screen anyway.
Music of course made the film, but it was well cast, well acted - yer, one of my favourites of the year.

I don't think they needed to go further into Mercury's private life, they gave a fair amount of nods towards his homosexuality without it intruding to much on the musical side of the movie. Personally I think it is a good mix of private life and musical side in the movie.

Man of Honour
My local cinema is pretty much booked solid for the next week. Only a few seats left for each day, usually right at the front. Other half only able to get out of work early one day this week, so booked in for Thursday. Did it last week so got decent seats too. ;)

Soldato
Saw it tonight.

I agree with a lot of the critics to be honest. The movie is fun to watch. It's great fan service. But it's a pretty tame "by the numbers" biopic that's fortunate to benefit from a great performance by Rami Malek in the lead role.

I had a good time watching it. But it has more in common with "The Greatest Showman" than "Ray" or "Walk The Line". It wasn't made for the critics. It was made to give the fans a good time. No doubt a Freddie Mercury biopic will be made, warts and all, one day (though I doubt it'll happen while the rest of the band live).

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

The fiancée and I went to see it last night. Unfortunately the 7pm showing was sold out so we went for food and came back at 9pm.

30 minutes of trailers and adverts could not ruin this film, it was very well done.

I’ve got every Queen album and have seen Live Aid more times than I can remember but I still had goosebumps at the call and response audience interaction bit.

If you like Queen and you haven’t seen this in the cinema with the volume cranked, you’ve already made a mistake.

9.5/10

Man of Honour
Wow...

Genuinely surprised by how good that was. I can see why the critics seem to be less than enthusiastic about it, but I really don't care about them. Ok, it's not entirely accurate but overall, and it's really a of a bit sugar coated version of Freddie's life, but I really enjoyed it. All 4 of the guys who play the members of Queen are excellent. Freddie and Brian are the standouts though. At points, I forgot that it wasn't Freddie on the screen. Rami Malek is that good. Mike Myers caused a few laughs with his role,

The music is as expected, excellent. They got the roar of Wembley Stadium sounding about right as well which is fantastic. Also the cinema I went too has recently had an audio upgrade and the volume was certainly adequate. ;)

But the bit that surprised me most was that a large percentage of the audience cheered and applauded at the end of the movie... Never actually had that happen before.

I'm off to see it with a friend next week at the BFI Imax. Can't wait. :D

Soldato
I'm off to see it with a friend next week at the BFI Imax. Can't wait. :D

You'd be much better off going to the laser IMAX at Cineworld Leicester Square. The screen is almost as big, the sound system kicks ass and the seats are much more comfortable. Also, it's not likely to be rammed like the BFI generally is. I don't get the appeal of that place at all.

Man of Honour
You'd be much better off going to the laser IMAX at Cineworld Leicester Square. The screen is almost as big, the sound system kicks ass and the seats are much more comfortable. Also, it's not likely to be rammed like the BFI generally is. I don't get the appeal of that place at all.

Free tickets. ;)

Associate
Anyone interested in queen, There is a tribute band called the The bohemians, if there close to where you live go see them, i have seen them 3 times on a cruise ship, some certain songs they play if you close your eyes and listen they sound identical to queen so unreal :)

He played some of the good songs and some others like who wants to live forever for example in a special show on another day was brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom