• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2080ti cards failing ?

Soldato
If the gddr 6 is actually to blame what can nvidia really do about it? Do other manufacturers of this ram have higher thermal limits? Cooler redesign or ram speed downgrade?

Not a lot really. They could reduce the clocks but then people aren't getting what they paid for and it's still defective so might get worse over time. They should have used HBM2 :D

Caporegime
Not a lot really. They could reduce the clocks but then people aren't getting what they paid for and it's still defective so might get worse over time. They should have used HBM2 :D

Still baffles me why they went for such a restrictive cooler design, it's like they said to hell with component thermals and just made something that looked good instead. If you're gonna go for an axial design then do it right and make sure components under the heatsink can get direct air flow, theres 2 little slots for airflow in the vapour chamber and that's it.

They would have been better off going for a vented aluminium heatsink with heatpipes through it, that would let air get down to the pcb at least. And seriously..wise up on the amount of screws, it should not take around 50 screws to strip a card down when partner cards can be dismantled in under 10 screws,

Last edited:
Associate
Was yours overclocked
Nope. Stock GPU clocks at the time. Temperature reported by the card never breached the mid 70s.

It just got gradually worse over a week. I had one night between crashes (after updating my mobo BIOS and removing the CPU overclock) where it was working perfectly. I actually thought I'd sorted it! And then the next night it started artifacting and deteriorated.:(

Soldato
Nope. Stock GPU clocks at the time. Temperature reported by the card never breached the mid 70s.

It just got gradually worse over a week. I had one night between crashes (after updating my mobo BIOS and removing the CPU overclock) where it was working perfectly. I actually thought I'd sorted it! And then the next night it started artifacting and deteriorated.:(
Damn that sucks
Hope mine will be fine.last night I played about an hour of no man's Sky and was ok.

Soldato
No it not widespread.

If your 2080 Ti Founders Edition has serial number higher than 0323XXX like 0324XXX etc then you are fine, your card are not affected.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...ments-lets-see-how-many/post/5903907/#5903907

There's an excel doc people are adding to linked in that thread on page 5, and there are quite a few 324 serial numbers on there. As time goes on, we may see 325 etc. It depends how serious this problem is. A bit too early yet to say that no further cards will be affected.

Soldato
Still baffles me why they went for such a restrictive cooler design, it's like they said to hell with component thermals and just made something that looked good instead. If you're gonna go for an axial design then do it right and make sure components under the heatsink can get direct air flow, theres 2 little slots for airflow in the vapour chamber and that's it.

They would have been better off going for a vented aluminium heatsink with heatpipes through it, that would let air get down to the pcb at least. And seriously..wise up on the amount of screws, it should not take around 50 screws to strip a card down when partner cards can be dismantled in under 10 screws,

For the price they charge for the card, Nvidia should have used the aluminium heatsink, bang on the money there G.

Man of Honour
There's an excel doc people are adding to linked in that thread on page 5, and there are quite a few 324 serial numbers on there. As time goes on, we may see 325 etc. It depends how serious this problem is. A bit too early yet to say that no further cards will be affected.

Most of the 324s, etc. on there are marked as not a problem so far but a small number of people starting to report issues with them so might be just because it is a later batch that reports of them is only just starting, the batch is less problematic or not affected hard to say.

Certainly too early to say how widespread or not the issue is for certain.

Man of Honour
Isn’t it clocked at 14000Mhz out the box? That’s 14Ghz at default, and you’re running yours at 20Ghz?

Base clock multiplied by 8 - so he is running an effective 16GHz. The default base clock is something like 1750MHz.

Soldato
Quick update from last week, 15 from the 18 FE cards are fine and passed 24+ hour burn in testing, one card was DOA with no output at all, and testing with a DMM showed no volts, one card has a malformed/damaged fan which is a physical fault, and the final card is displaying issues as seen in this thread with strange artifacts/graphical glitches and it follows the card from system to system. The fault appeared after approximately 9 hours at 100% load, and now appears at every boot.

Needless to say the QA guys are not pleased with these FE cards, but since they were free issued by a customer we can't blame any of the suppliers. Pretty poor show in my opinion, essentially a 20% fault rate.

Associate
Quick update from last week, 15 from the 18 FE cards are fine and passed 24+ hour burn in testing, one card was DOA with no output at all, and testing with a DMM showed no volts, one card has a malformed/damaged fan which is a physical fault, and the final card is displaying issues as seen in this thread with strange artifacts/graphical glitches and it follows the card from system to system. The fault appeared after approximately 9 hours at 100% load, and now appears at every boot.

Needless to say the QA guys are not pleased with these FE cards, but since they were free issued by a customer we can't blame any of the suppliers. Pretty poor show in my opinion, essentially a 20% fault rate.
Closer to 16.6% isn't it?

Still bad.

Back
Top Bottom