LG 34GK950G, 3440x1440, G-Sync, 120Hz

Soldato
A normal software calibration and creation of an ICC profile won't alter the monitors colour space i'm afraid. The only way to do that would be if the calibration was capable of dictating the colour space directly and enforcing that on the display. That is often possible on screens with hardware calibration, where you can not only calibrate things like the gamma and white point, but also alter the target colour space. On the 950G it will always output a DCI-P3 colour space. On the F model you can emulate a smaller sRGB colour space using the OSD preset mode if you want.

As you've said as well, ICC profiles are generally ignored (or very difficult to use) for things like games and multimedia as well. Although in those cases it's often not really about being "accurate" and more about obtaining an image that looks and feels right to you for your preferences, particular content, ambient lighting conditions etc

But how have you got a colour DE of 0.4 with max DE of 1? Is your calibration section to DCIP3?

I agree with that you said about DCIP3 having good colours, with HDR content, where the content is also DCIP3, but with SRGB / REC709 content, using DCIP3 does not look great in my opinion, Problem is about 99% of content on PC is not HDR. I am sure some people would like it, for example about 90% of people probably have over saturated colours on their TV's.

Man of Honour
But how have you got a colour DE of 0.4 with max DE of 1? Is your calibration section to DCIP3?

I agree with that you said about DCIP3 having good colours, with HDR content, where the content is also DCIP3, but with SRGB / REC709 content, using DCIP3 does not look great in my opinion, Problem is about 99% of content on PC is not HDR. I am sure some people would like it, for example about 90% of people probably have over saturated colours on their TV's.

the measurement in the calibration section is a validation of the profile, as opposed to comparing them against sRGB as a reference. So assuming a DCI-P3 colour space, the colours being shown on the monitor are close to their intended colours, if that makes sense

if you look at the default setup section then in that case it is comparing the monitor colours being shown against the sRGB reference (as it doesnt have a profile to compare it against yet), which is why the dE is so massively high - and hard to draw conclusions on when it's a wide gamut screen.

like you say, a lot of people are very happy and prefer their more saturated wide gamut displays and TV's which i expect to be the same situation here.

Soldato
the measurement in the calibration section is a validation of the profile, as opposed to comparing them against sRGB as a reference. So assuming a DCI-P3 colour space, the colours being shown on the monitor are close to their intended colours, if that makes sense

like you say, a lot of people are very happy and prefer their more saturated wide gamut displays and TV's which i expect to be the same situation here.

So in your calibration section the DE errors of 0.4 max 1, are for the DCIP3 colour space? For example if you set the calibration report to SRGB, the DE errors would be a lot higher? Are the default measurements in your review also for the DCIP3 colour space?

I am confused now, in the little box at the top of the picture, it says "SRGB", so how could you get a DE error of 0.4, if the ICC profile cannot move the colours to the correct places for SRGB?

Or the monitors colour space is DCIP3, but it comes out of the box calibrated reasonably close to SRGB? I am very confused about the colours on the monitor haha. For example a TV would just switch colour space depending on content.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure how much of a difference the OSD controls can make to it, I don't think LG have much in the way of options with colours etc. But for people thinking "no problem I will just calibrate it using an ICC profile", I can tell you now that ICC profiles are a nightmare with anything other than desktop or some apps like photoshop etc.

For example with a HDR TV, lets say it has 99% DCIP3, it will detect the content and switch the colour space, so if you have REC709 content it will just restrict the colours to that, from what I understand here, the LG would basically be like having a HDR TV but permanently set to native colour, which would display everything very over saturated. Or have LG made the default colours somewhere between SRGB and DCIP3? If the monitor is full DCIP3 all of the time, I don't think I would be happy with it, I am sure other people would like that though.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So in your calibration section the DE errors of 0.4 max 1, are for the DCIP3 colour space? For example if you set the calibration report to SRGB, the DE errors would be a lot higher? Are the default measurements in your review also for the DCIP3 colour space?

I am confused now, in the little box at the top of the picture, it says "SRGB", so how could you get a DE error of 0.4, if the ICC profile cannot move the colours to the correct places for SRGB?

Or the monitors colour space is DCIP3, but it comes out of the box calibrated reasonably close to SRGB? I am very confused about the colours on the monitor haha. For example a TV would just switch colour space depending on content.

it's a tricky one to get your head around, and measuring wide gamut screens using these methods is a bit tricky. let's assume we are talking about the 950G model here by the way which always operates with a DCI-P3 colour space from the backlight, with no way to restrict that to a smaller colour space.

The default measurements out of the box using the colorimeter + LaCie software measures a few different areas, some of which you can consider as normal, and some which are more tricky. The CIE digram on the left measures the colour space in a 2D triangle view, relative to either the sRGB colour space area, the Adobe RGB colour space area, or ISOcoated colour space area, depending on which option you tick at the top. that selection of sRGB vs Adobe RGB there has absolutely no bearing on any other measurement or consideration of the measurements, it literally just changes the red triangle drawn on the diagram to show you what the sRGB or Adobe RGB triangle would look like in a 2D view, compared with the black triangle representing the monitors measured colour space.

Then the gamma and white point (ie colour temperature) are measured and are not impacted by the gamut of the screen as such. likewise with the separate measurement for brightness, black point and therefore contrast ratio

The dE section is where it gets a bit messy on wide gamut screens. running the "validation" part of the LaCie software at default screen settings where an ICC profile is NOT being used or active, will assume that you are comparing the measured colours of the screen against the sRGB colour space by default. For a normal gamut screen that is fine, as it assumes you are wanting to measure the colours against the sRGB reference, and so a low dE is ideal there. For a wide gamut screen it is however comparing the colours shown on the screen (which will be more saturated than sRGB) and comparing them against an sRGB reference (as the software knows no better than to assume it's sRGB) and so you end up with very high dE. it's hard to therefore draw any conclusions about the "accuracy" of the colours here, as the displayed colours are not being compared with a fair reference point. i must look in to whether there's a better way to compare the default performance against a different reference point than the default sRGB actually, there might well be either through the LaCie software or some other means. we continue to use the LaCie software as it's simple to understand and follow throughout all our reviews, although it is quite old now and doesn't have a massive amount of flexibility for other new things.

for a calibration then, a profile is created which will tell the graphics card how to display the intended colours. Sorry if i confused this point before, but it should be possible to calibrate a screen for certain reference spaces such as sRGB if you have the right software, use the right settings and have a suitable calibration device that can accurately measure wide gamut backlights. If that ICC profile is used within a colour managed application then it should result in the correct shade being displayed on the screen as intended. however as you've rightly said, getting an ICC profile working with a lot of applications and software (especially games and multimedia) is very tricky so isn't a very useful solution in a lot of cases.

EDIT: I need to experiment with the LaCie software a bit more in terms of whether it can be reliably used to calibrate to an sRGB reference, but actually i believe by default that would be its assumption unless you use a different reference profile within the software. i will need to test this more next time i have a wide gamut screen with me, along with the "default setup" measurements to see if it's possible to more fairly compare them to their target like DCI-P3

crux of it is that if you have the right software/device, you should be able to calibrate a wide gamut screen to show sRGB colours correctly but only within colour managed applications and workflows. but it's going to be tricky to achieve

Last edited:
Associate
Apologies.

At a competitor you will be able to buy the 950 for £1350.

So there will be other retailers in UK that have the 950G. For a crazy price apperently but still.

Associate
Apologies.

At a competitor you will be able to buy the 950 for £1350.

So there will be other retailers in UK that have the 950G. For a crazy price apperently but still.

So OCUK have the UK launch Exclusive, and that will last into 2019 - why would you buy elsewhere for £1350 when you can buy from OCUK at £1100?

Other retailers in the UK will have the 950G, but not till Jan 2019 at the earliest

Associate
So OCUK have the UK launch Exclusive, and that will last into 2019 - why would you buy elsewhere for £1350 when you can buy from OCUK at £1100?

Other retailers in the UK will have the 950G, but not till Jan 2019 at the earliest
Thanks for the clarification.
For that price they could have just bought the monitors from OCUK and sell them with a larger margin than most retailers would normally get.

I don't think anyone would buy for that price unless stock would run out here and was in stock there I guess. Good to know that they won't be in stock there until January.

I still found it worth mentioning for everyone in this thread.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the clarification.
For that price they could have just bought the monitors from OCUK and sold them with a larger margin then most retailers would normally get.

I don't think anyone would buy for that price unless stock would run out here and was in stock there I guess. Good to know that they won't be in stock there until January.

I still found it worth mentioning for everyone in this thread.

Yea , because that No swearing please! people who pre-order monitors from this forum do not get units before jan as they bought them all :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Yea , because that No swearing please! people who pre-order monitors from this forum do not get units before jan as they bought them all :mad:
I meant hypothetically. They are not in stock now and as Daniel said probably won't be until January.

Associate
I meant hypothetically. They are not in stock now and as Daniel said probably won't be until January.
Yea but how do U know? There is no limit of units to pre order per person . Thay mey pre order let's say 20 units ? And No swearing please! all left fou us .

Associate
has anyone had any experience with returning monitors to overclockers for a refund? say if the monitor has unacceptable amount of glow, or dead pixels or yellow tint or whatever. Do they pay for shipping too? coz sending the monitor from where i live would cost me a LOT of money

Associate
has anyone had any experience with returning monitors to overclockers for a refund? say if the monitor has unacceptable amount of glow, or dead pixels or yellow tint or whatever. Do they pay for shipping too? coz sending the monitor from where i live would cost me a LOT of money

I think the policy here is you cover the cost of return. /shrug

From the overclockers.co.uk returns page:
"Unfortunately we cannot cover all unforeseeable costs and you will have to pay for the return of any unwanted goods you are returning. Please package the goods properly and ship them in a separate outer box, including all packaging, cables, manuals, drivers and protective bags, however small."

Associate
I think the policy here is you cover the cost of return. /shrug

From the overclockers.co.uk returns page:
"Unfortunately we cannot cover all unforeseeable costs and you will have to pay for the return of any unwanted goods you are returning. Please package the goods properly and ship them in a separate outer box, including all packaging, cables, manuals, drivers and protective bags, however small."

7. Effects of Cancellation
7.1 If you cancel this contract, we will reimburse to you all payments received from you, including the costs of delivery https://www.overclockers.co.uk/terms-and-conditions

not really "shrug" man. its serious to me, because no other shop does this. every shop orders their couriers to your doorstep. its a small amount to pay for them, but it would cost me around 100 euros to send back a box like a monitor back to uk

Associate
7. Effects of Cancellation
7.1 If you cancel this contract, we will reimburse to you all payments received from you, including the costs of delivery https://www.overclockers.co.uk/terms-and-conditions

not really "shrug" man. its serious to me, because no other shop does this. every shop orders their couriers to your doorstep. its a small amount to pay for them, but it would cost me around 100 euros to send back a box like a monitor back to uk

I meant "shrug" as in I dunno much about it - ie. how the policy is applied and whether they are strict about it - but seems like this is the policy. Just trying to help you find the information you wanted.

Soldato

If the monitor is faulty, or not fit for purpose then they have to pay for the return postage or arrange collection. Assuming you are in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom