• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why do people chase 4K gaming?

Soldato
It will be 5+ years before we even see large micro-LED TV's at consumer prices. There is zero indications out there that micro-LED pixels will ever be small enough for PC monitor sized displays at 4K+ resolution.

While it's true MicroLEDs are not currently small enough to work at smaller screen sizes, it would be wrong to say there's no indication they won't ever be, especially given Apple are massively invested in MicroLED development. The timeframe for this is unknown of course, but they've got virtually limitless funds at their disposal, so it's really just a question of when, not if. Short of unforeseen insurmountable technical issues of course, but MicroLED has everything going for it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
While it's true MicroLEDs are not currently small enough to work at smaller screen sizes, it would be wrong to say there's no indication they won't ever be, especially given Apple are massively invested in MicroLED development. The timeframe for this is unknown of course, but they've got virtually limitless funds at their disposal, so it's really just a question of when, not if. Short of unforeseen insurmountable technical issues of course, but MicroLED has everything going for it.
Agreed. Last I looked they will start selling them next year in TVs, so i won’t be surprised to see them in monitors in 3 years time. Not in a huge rush anyway. Really happy with what I have.

Still not upgraded my plasma tv, so that will be next in a year or so together with a PS5 :)

Caporegime
OP
Agreed. Last I looked they will start selling them next year in TVs, so i won’t be surprised to see them in monitors in 3 years time. Not in a huge rush anyway. Really happy with what I have.

Still not upgraded my plasma tv, so that will be next in a year or so together with a PS5 :)

Wanted a 65” OLED this BF....nothing :(

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Black Friday mate :)
Heh. So obvious now that you say it. I kept thinking of best friend, but that made no sense, so I had to ask :p

Black Friday's are rubbish these days, so no surprise there mate. I am hoping 2019 OLED models have adaptive sync as I heard that they may start to be a thing on TV's soon? My plan is it get 2019 OLED once 2020 ones are about to come out. Usually they have heavy discounts around that time. Happy to have 1 year old model if I am paying around half price :D

Did your nephew buy a 4K monitor in the end then? As he was not that impressed by your monitor I have to say the boy clearly has an eye for detail and appreciates image quality, 1440p is so last decade now anyway :p;):D

Permabanned
When they release big TV's with 4k, HDR, good Adaptive sync support, a 100+ refresh rate & a Smart Hub I'll see what the reviewers think, If it's not good a good option I'll look for a decent high hz, adaptive sync, 4kUW (5160x2160?) monitor, 4kUltraWide isn't available yet so a good 38" 3840x1660 model with a 100+ refresh rate and good adaptive sync support might be the best option for me. Pricing will be the biggest obstacle as they're all bound to be stupidly expensive.

GD5O9ha.png

I've currently got a 3440x1440 freesync monitor and in the front room I've got a HDR TV but my Playstation isn't recognising it as HDR model for some reason, When I do upgrade again I'll do plenty of homework first.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok so i ran some benchmarks of AC Origins last night and it was maxing out my i7 2600k OCed to 4.6 and my 1080ti. At ultra high i get 48fps on the benchmark which is completely playable with a controller.

If i want 60fps i need to drop the res to 1440p and lower graphics settings to high... If i want 60fps at 4k i have to have a mix of medium and high. Now the point im making here is that if i run a mix of medium and high at 4k vs high at 1440p the 4k experience looks way better.

This is why i game at 4k and when you can experience both its no contest, higher resolution just looks better in regards to detail of the imagine even if you lower the textures.

Each to their own and i completely understand people sticking at 1440p for that performance vs settings sweet spot but in reality higher resolution just creates a crisper imagine and a crisper image just looks better.

Soldato
Wut... I think the conversation is around PC gaming. Not console. 60hz is old tech for PC gaming, I personally can't go back to 60hz, it's so choppy and horrible.
This is untrue. If you were an experienced gamer on the PC scene then you would understand that its all about a balancing act, you simply cant have it all with all the money in the world so you have to make allowances here and there. I for one am much happier to have a better looking imagine at a higher resolution than continue to game at a lower resolution to gather in over 120fps at all times. Drop the console comment because you are just as close to that experience with your lower resolution!

Soldato
Whilst it may be in part because i am not used to gaming over 60fps, i too would take 60fps and 4k over 1080p at 144fps.

I am no avid PvPer though so that is another thing too. To me 60fps is perfectly smooth... that said i do not know how players put up with the for instance 20-30fps in say, dead rising 3 that the standard xbox 1 offers, to me that IS unplayable so i guess to each their own.

I do remember playing Geoff Crammond's F1GP on an amiga 500 at 8fps if memory serves, and wing commander was just as bad so again, horses for courses.

VR however i am the opposite, framerate IS king for me in VR

Back
Top Bottom