Oculus Rift

Soldato
I got a Rift over the weekend and I have to say first impression is disappointment. I got a voucher as a bonus from work so only spent £150 of my own money on it which is the only reason I'm keeping it tbh. Everything is just such low quality and blurry, admittedly in game when you are involved it's less noticeable but out of game it's just so jarring (virtual desktop, the home lobby, Oculus menus, SteamVR, anything with text). I feel like I must be doing something wrong since all I hear are rave reviews on how immersive it is. I have had a blast with Robo Recall, but even with the only graphic setting set to 2.0 it's still blur city :(

Are there any basic guides or steps to get the best out of the device? (I'll be trying the 'how to put it on properly' steps from earlier in the thread) I really want to love this thing but it's tough going at the moment.

Not everybody can get over the resolution. Which really sucks for those people. Text is an issue but certainly not as bad as what you seem to be experiencing. All I can recommend is that you do what you are doing and try the proper fitting guide that I wrote earlier in this thread. Also download Oculus tray tool and set the supersampling rate to 1.2 to 1.6 depending on what GPU you have. What GPU do you have BTW?

Associate
Not everybody can get over the resolution. Which really sucks for those people. Text is an issue but certainly not as bad as what you seem to be experiencing. All I can recommend is that you do what you are doing and try the proper fitting guide that I wrote earlier in this thread. Also download Oculus tray tool and set the supersampling rate to 1.2 to 1.6 depending on what GPU you have. What GPU do you have BTW?

Thanks I'll try the tray tool, sounds like supersampling could help me out. I have a Sapphire Vega64 Nitro so it should be OK for some supersampling, my normal monitor is 3440x1440 ultrawide which it handles well. The other thing I didn't mention is that even after cleaning the lenses, 100% sure there's nothing on them, it still looks like I'm viewing everything through a dirty window, very infuriating!

Soldato
Thanks I'll try the tray tool, sounds like supersampling could help me out. I have a Sapphire Vega64 Nitro so it should be OK for some supersampling, my normal monitor is 3440x1440 ultrawide which it handles well. The other thing I didn't mention is that even after cleaning the lenses, 100% sure there's nothing on them, it still looks like I'm viewing everything through a dirty window, very infuriating!
I think you might be describing the screen door effect, which is you seeing the pixel structure of the displays. Nothing you can do about that...

Robo Recall is one of the better looking games. If you had that with the ingame pixel density slider at 2 and everything else maxed out and you're still not reasonably happy, then I guess you're either going to have to learn to live with it, or perhaps skip this gen.

Soldato

Might take a few days for you to get used them? The Vega 64 should be able to handle 1.4 SS.

Soldato

Try turning SPUD off, you might find it helps.

• 1- Disable OVRService from Task manager (Services tab)
  • 2- Open Regedit.exe and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software
  • 3- Right click on the Software folder > New > Key and name the new folder "Oculus"
  • 4- Right click on the Oculus folder > New > DWORD 32bit Value and name it UseSpud
  • 5- Set the value to 0
  • 6- Start OVRService again and put on your headset
  • 7- (Probably) be amazed at how everything looks clean and black
If it doesn't work for you or don't like it just delete the UseSpud file from Regedit and reboot

Soldato
Well... I made that harder than it needed to be! Cheers UP.

Watching some Youtube videos of the sensor show that the extension cable that it comes the sensor is a USB 2.0 one?

Does that sound right? I was hoping it would be USB 3.0?

Associate
I think with ththr sensors they recommend the third (rear) to be only usb 2 for bandwidth balancing reasons. It won't be detrimental though

Soldato
Ah that so? Ok sounds good. Thanks Slam.

E: Sweet. Ordered :)

Are there any guides about how to mount the third senor?

Im not really thinking about having it high in the air, but perhaps at shoulder level attached to another piece of equipment....

Last edited:
Soldato
Spud? What that?:)

It's a system oculus uses in an attempt to balance the difference between OLED panels and to reduce black smear (OLED pixels are apparently slow at switching from the off position to on so the software stops them from going to full off) from what I understand, but in some cases it causes an effect that leaves the rift with a 'dirty' layer over the image. It can be very distracting and massively reduces any chance of immersion, it certainly made a massive difference for me.

Lots of discussion about it here: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/6tca7t/why_you_may_need_to_disable_spud_oled_mura/

Associate
Ah that so? Ok sounds good. Thanks Slam.

E: Sweet. Ordered :)

Are there any guides about how to mount the third senor?

Im not really thinking about having it high in the air, but perhaps at shoulder level attached to another piece of equipment....

Mounting the sensors higher up is generally better but you may find that shoulder height in your space is plenty good enough.

Sensor setup guide from Oculus:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-roomscale-tips-for-setting-up-a-killer-vr-room/

Soldato
Sorry another question :)

Thinking of extending the Rift cabling also, what would I need for this? Is there any HDMI/USB combo recommended?

I don't have the exact cable name at hand at the moment, but I used Ugreen HDMI and USB 3 cable extensions without any issues.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom