Oculus Rift

Soldato
With a three sensor setup you may have to ignore the Oculus App if it complains about sensor positioning as it can be picky, and generally works ok anyway.

Soldato
I found 2 up high and diagonal was almost flawless, though there was the ocassional little flutter depending on what I was doing.
Using a gun stock seemd to expose those little flutters more than anything else due to the hands being fairly close together. Adding a 3rd sensor cleared that up.

So yeah, two is good if you position them right. Three is better.

Soldato
I found 2 up high and diagonal was almost flawless, though there was the ocassional little flutter depending on what I was doing.
Using a gun stock seemd to expose those little flutters more than anything else due to the hands being fairly close together. Adding a 3rd sensor cleared that up.

So yeah, two is good if you position them right. Three is better.

Cheers UP.

I plan to have two at table level and the third in the corner at shoulder level, possibly up high.

Lets say for the sake of argument I positioned the sensor up high and then removed it.
And then when I came to use the Rift again, I put the sensor up high in the same position once more.
Do I have to recalibrate each time? Even though I put it in the same as last time?

Soldato
That should be ok, but I'd recommend having at least 2 above head level and angled down using wall mounts.
You should ideally recalibrate, although you might get away with not doing it. Guess you'll just have to see how it goes.

Soldato
That should be ok, but I'd recommend having at least 2 above head level and angled down using wall mounts.
You should ideally recalibrate, although you might get away with not doing it. Guess you'll just have to see how it goes.

Ok but doesnt there need to be some at certain levels with each other? E.g as I have described above with two on table 1m apart?
Or can they reallly be dotted around a room irrespective of distance apart and height?

Soldato
I don't know how important that is, but my example would've had the two mounted ones at the same level.
Some like to have them at various levels to cover blind spots. A couple high with one or two low for example.

Two front sensors at 1m apart is pretty narrow. Is your playspace fairly small, or is that just the only practical location for them?
Are you able to wall mount? You don't need to drill anything and can use things like 3m command strips that shouldn't damage paint/wallpaper.

Soldato
Well observed. Yes its a relatively smallish area, but actually just big enough to move around.
I have the two sensors on stands either side of my 35" monitor.

I have these which I previously used to mount around the room. I suppose I could still use them to mount two sensors high.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OOJMZ9C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Honestly speaking with 2 sensors I do get pretty good performance but its only when I turn my back to the sensors do they loose the signal to the hand controllers.

I think having the 3rd one on the opposite side of the room high up should hopefully solve this.

But I guess I will need to do some trial and error.

What are these command strips you mentioned?

Soldato
If you hadn't already ordered a 3rd sensor, I'd tell you to try one front and rear up high in opposite corners, since it's a relatively small area.
Command strips are kind of like sticklebrick velcro and used with this kind of thing. I could probably print you a couple if you really wanted.

You're probably fine with your planned setup :)

Soldato
Thanks UP thats nice of you.
Actually I am not short on areas where I can mount a the sensor higher.
The limitiation of mounting a second sensor currently are an extension cable for the second sensor. Ideally need another meter or so at the very least.

Soldato
Cheers fella. Could you get me the links to both? If you have tried and tested then Im willing to get them.

I guess there isnt a combined HDMI/USB cable?

Hi, sorry for late reply. Here are the two cables I used, put them in google and you should find them. If you need longer just look for longer version of the same ones.

UGREEN 10142 2 m HDMI HDMI Black Cable HDMI – HDMI Cables (2 m, HDMI Type A (Standard), HDMI Type A (Standard), 3d, 10.2 Gbit/s, Black)

UGREEN 10373 USB Extension Lead Extender Cable for Oculus Rift, PS VR, HTC VIVE etc Black 2m

Soldato
Perfect thanks bud.
And can I ask what are you using to suspend the cables of the Rift?

Yes, no problem. I am using the following :-

MIDWEC 6 Packs Cable Management for Oculus Rift Headset.

With a little bit of thought and effort you can suspend the cables so well that you won't even know they are there. I have complete freedom of movement in my play area and don't have to worry about getting tangled in the cables. Actually, it's very easy to install if you have a high ceilings, it needs more thinking if you have low ceilings. The higher the ceiling the less you have to worry about where you put the retractors.

Soldato
S
Hi, sorry for late reply. Here are the two cables I used, put them in google and you should find them. If you need longer just look for longer version of the same ones.

UGREEN 10142 2 m HDMI HDMI Black Cable HDMI – HDMI Cables (2 m, HDMI Type A (Standard), HDMI Type A (Standard), 3d, 10.2 Gbit/s, Black)

UGREEN 10373 USB Extension Lead Extender Cable for Oculus Rift, PS VR, HTC VIVE etc Black 2m

Sorry just another question bud :)

Can I get a longer cable? At what point does it begin to impact the USB and HDMI signal?

Soldato
Ok cheers bud.
Ive ordered the 2m HDMI and USB.
Also ordered the hooks, (those same make melmac are coming in at £84! but found similar ones for £20.... didn't realise how expensive they would be...)

And I just thought about the second sensor being high above.
The other reason I wanted the sensors on the same level infront of my monitor is because I want to get back into some Elite and other types of games that needs me sitting down.

Will know more tomorrow once all setup :)

Soldato
Ok cheers bud.
Ive ordered the 2m HDMI and USB.
Also ordered the hooks, (those same make melmac are coming in at £84! but found similar ones for £20.... didn't realise how expensive they would be...)

And I just thought about the second sensor being high above.
The other reason I wanted the sensors on the same level infront of my monitor is because I want to get back into some Elite and other types of games that needs me sitting down.

Will know more tomorrow once all setup :)

£84!! I only paid £21 or something like that.

I presume your desk is against the wall where you are putting two of the sensors? If so then the sensors at a high angle has you covered for both seated and standing games.

Back
Top Bottom