Is anti-Veganism discriminatory . . .

Soldato
there have been very good studies that show if we didn't start eating cooked meat then humans wouldn't have evolved into the intelligent species we are today. Sure, it doesn't mean we have to continue to do so, but given a choice between a vegan and evolution i know what i will choose.
So much lol right there, chicken oriental academics?

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
there have been very good studies that show if we didn't start eating cooked meat then humans wouldn't have evolved into the intelligent species we are today.
Sure, it doesn't mean we have to continue to do so, but given a choice between a vegan and evolution i know what i will choose.
And these "very good studies" are . . . ?
When you mention "intelligent species" are you referring to humans?

As a matter of interest, what exactly is it that you ingest / inhale that has led to this fanciful nonsense?

Soldato
Does this mean I might get hounded on the internet by the inevitable ******* hashtag brigade and thrown before the courts because I used to cook meat for my girlfriend at the time? She was a vegetarian, and then a vegan, and I used to tell her it was fake meat or that Beanfeast crap.

How screwed am I?

According the people who did this probably yes.

no we don't.

Great examples. Are you suggesting you don't get protein from dog meat? You don't eat dogs because you love them and they're part of your family.

Its a cultural thing they eat dogs in korea and china and they get a lot of flak for it from western countries. Personally I could eat dog.

As a matter of interest, what exactly is it that you ingest / inhale that has led to this fanciful nonsense?

Its called the "Expensive Tissue Hyposthesis" that the ingesting of high quality fat and protein rich food lead to the development of the human brain that would not have occurred if if our ancestors had stuck to a rigid vegetarian diet. There simply isn't the nutritional availability for it in raw vegetable matter brains are very expensive organs to develop and maintain at least 25% of raw energy is consumed by the brain despite being a relatively small amount of body mass.

hhttp://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0100-84551997000100023

Last edited:
Soldato
So.... we need to kill off a couple billion people so that there are enough animals for everyone to hunt and feed off naturally....? :)
I'm sure we'll invent several new diseases or strains that achieve this anyway... and the rest will work themselves to death once Amazon gets a little bigger.

Added bonus - The roads will have far fewer traffic jams!

Don't worry once antibiotics start to fail the old diseases will kick back in.

Caporegime
Veganism is of course a philosophy, the central principal behind it an ethical one of not wanting to cause suffering to animals.

Not sure that should make it a protected characteristic anymore than I believe religion should be one though.

it's okay to breed plants/vegetables/crops just to be harvested and eaten though?

This is just absurd, plants obviously cannot experience suffering...

Last edited:
Soldato

a paper has already been quoted but there are multiple studies and i remember a good one in Nature just a few years ago.
The major brain expansion of the hominids is something that has been researched extensively because it is quite unusual. The sudden change in available good quality protein is the main theory at the moment as far as i know, and those proteins came from cooking our meat. Herbivores have never evolved large brains.

Soldato
Veganism is of course a philosophy, the central principal behind it an ethical one of not wanting to cause suffering to animals.

Not sure that should make it a protected characteristic anymore than I believe religion should be one though.

This is just absurd, plants obviously cannot experience suffering...

If your goal is to stop animal suffering, the ultimate goal would be the extinction of all animal life.

It's a safe bet that most live stock (In the UK at least) will experience less suffering during their life span than one in the wild.

Caporegime
If your goal is to stop animal suffering, the ultimate goal would be the extinction of all animal life.

It's a safe bet that most live stock (In the UK at least) will experience less suffering during their life span than one in the wild.

The extinction of all animal life is hardly practical and killing is a form of suffering that vegans are trying to avoid.

Whether livestock fare better than in the wild is neither here nor there really, though I'm not sure that battery chickens are better off than they are in the wild...

Associate
The human species evolved over 10s of thousands of years eating meat, we got even healthier when we started cooking it first as well.

The species we evolved from would have eat meat. Like chimps do.
We also evolved to sometimes have a desire to kill individuals who are behaving in a way we don't like but doing so is generally frowned upon.
Because we have a trait borne through our evolution doesn't necessarily make it a trait that should be indulged.
Human beings are omnivorous and adaptable.

Last edited:
Soldato
though I'm not sure that battery chickens are better off than they are in the wild...

Battery farming was banned 6 years ago by the EU and I believe specifically in the UK several years ago. The only ones available now are imported from outside of the EU.

The species we evolved from would have eat meat. Like chimps do.
We also evolved to sometimes have a desire to kill individuals who are behaving in a way we don't like but doing so is generally frowned upon.
Because we have a trait borne through our evolution doesn't necessarily make it a trait that should be indulged.
Human beings are omnivorous and adaptable.

Killing an animal for food and killing a human for behaving badly are not even remotely comparable.

Associate
I'm a veggie and have been for 18 months now.i stopped eating meat as I felt like a hypocrite saying I love all animals .. but then I'd eat some of them. So for me it was for the animals and I literally do not miss meat or fish whatsoever.

It does annoy me though when people kick up a fuss over dogs being eaten or something... So you'll happy eat a pig or lamb but if a dog is killed and eaten.. no no no that's wrong..

Soldato
I'm a veggie and have been for 18 months now.i stopped eating meat as I felt like a hypocrite saying I love all animals .. but then I'd eat some of them. So for me it was for the animals and I literally do not miss meat or fish whatsoever.

It does annoy me though when people kick up a fuss over dogs being eaten or something... So you'll happy eat a pig or lamb but if a dog is killed and eaten.. no no no that's wrong..
Yep agree with this I started off just eating fish but realised how rediculas this was 4 years now and I've reached a point where I find adverts of meat on TV quite disturbing I would happily welcome a. Ban on these

Soldato
Battery farming was banned 6 years ago by the EU and I believe specifically in the UK several years ago. The only ones available now are imported from outside of the EU.

The meat industry is famous for failing to meet fairly poor ethics and hygiene standards. Battery farming may be banned but the environments they are brought up in barely keep to the already quite low minimal standard.

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/ce1e...at&fit=max&s=d413a56a85649c083f905e91f8f471a4

Associate
Killing an animal for food and killing a human for behaving badly are not even remotely comparable.

Ok. So what about killing an animal for food or killing a human for food? Tell me what the difference is there. No different to a big cat killing another big cat for food, or any other of hundreds of examples.

Back
Top Bottom