• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
It's... rather more that the patch of ground "that matters" (if you're Intel) keeps getting smaller but the flag still gets stuck in it like it's all that matters.
currently it's single threaded 1080p gaming (as... much beyond that becomes rather less CPU dependant so AMD's "good enough" card comes into play, I'm not denying it's a definite win to Intel there currently).
At the point that goes though, I'm absolutely SURE there'll be the usual faces pointing at the new metric that "totally matters more than anything else" and that spot of ground will become the new "last bastion".

Hopefully mindshare will move enough with Zen2/Ryzen3 that Intel have little to shout about and instead have to humbly get on with actually competing.
Previous form says they'll reach into their pocket and pay folks to support them.

Oh, i'm in full agreement the new metric will be AVX 512. The laughing point on that metric though is that all the Intel fan boys avoid using and testing with anything that involves AVX like the plague anyway. If they did actually run stability tests using AVX, none of them would have a hope in hell's chance of running over 5Ghz 24/7 stable to begin with.

Soldato
You fail!...Oh, and before you try to school me on what Threadripper is or isn't, you probably should have checked my sig first!

Jesus Christ, if you want to interpret my comment as an attempt at "schooling" you, then please feel free to take my "fail" as a personal win and be on your merry little way back to your safe space. In the big boy world however, I genuinely forgot Threadripper had the Ryzen name because my brain was focussed on it being a cut-down EPYC construct. I naffed up; no big, no harm, no foul.

"schooling" :rolleyes: this place sometimes...

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Jesus Christ, if you want to interpret my comment as an attempt at "schooling" you, then please feel free to take my "fail" as a personal win and be on your merry little way back to your safe space. In the big boy world however, I genuinely forgot Threadripper had the Ryzen name because my brain was focussed on it being a cut-down EPYC construct. I naffed up; no big, no harm, no foul.

Haha - sorry for being harsh - reflecting on my comment I was a bit terse - apologies.

Merry Christmas!

Soldato

It's exactly what you get when you obnoxiously try to correct someone, but get it wrong yourself.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Still not sure if its 100% confirmed, but the full list is here, and it looks insane!

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/64104/amd-ryzen-9-3850x-zen-2-16c-32t-5-1ghz-499/index.html

3850x just sounds out of this world, ill be happy with the Ryzen 5 3600X as long as it lives upto the hype. 8c/16t should be more than enough for A LOT of people considering the fact that all this time the most we had was quad cores from intel with lower clockspeeds. If the 3600X alone is around double the performance of some of the high end 8th gen i7 chips, then we can all be very happy, and on paper, it almost seems like it has to be

Soldato
Still not sure if its 100% confirmed, but the full list is here, and it looks insane!

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/64104/amd-ryzen-9-3850x-zen-2-16c-32t-5-1ghz-499/index.html

3850x just sounds out of this world, ill be happy with the Ryzen 5 3600X as long as it lives upto the hype. 8c/16t should be more than enough for A LOT of people considering the fact that all this time the most we had was quad cores from intel with lower clockspeeds. If the 3600X alone is around double the performance of some of the high end 8th gen i7 chips, then we can all be very happy, and on paper, it almost seems like it has to be

Hope it's correct they will be beasts, wish I had the funds.

Soldato
The Ryzen 9 is what's sticking out like a weird sore thumb for me. To do a 16c/32t CPU that can boost to 5.1GHz will require 2 godlike chiplets. I would have thought that if AMD had 2 fully-functioning chiplets they'd whisk them away for EPYC Rome, because the margins are much, much higher than a Ryzen could ever hope to be.

But could it be that a chiplet that good is almost too good for EPYC? If a server part doesn't need to boost past 3GHz, is it a wasted opportunity to take a 4GHz+ part and just clock it down? But then in order for a 3850X to be an actual SKU in the Ryzen 3000 lineup that isn't charged as an exclusive halo product indicates that TSMC's 7nm yields are stupendous. Feels odd to think that the creme de la creme of chiplets is actually reserved for Ryzen, not EPYC. This is why it makes more sense to me that Ryzen would top out at 12, maybe 14 cores because they're using the silicon that didn't make it for the top-end EPYC.

We'll find out soon enough I guess.

Associate
The Ryzen 9 is what's sticking out like a weird sore thumb for me. To do a 16c/32t CPU that can boost to 5.1GHz will require 2 godlike chiplets. I would have thought that if AMD had 2 fully-functioning chiplets they'd whisk them away for EPYC Rome, because the margins are much, much higher than a Ryzen could ever hope to be.

But could it be that a chiplet that good is almost too good for EPYC? If a server part doesn't need to boost past 3GHz, is it a wasted opportunity to take a 4GHz+ part and just clock it down? But then in order for a 3850X to be an actual SKU in the Ryzen 3000 lineup that isn't charged as an exclusive halo product indicates that TSMC's 7nm yields are stupendous. Feels odd to think that the creme de la creme of chiplets is actually reserved for Ryzen, not EPYC. This is why it makes more sense to me that Ryzen would top out at 12, maybe 14 cores because they're using the silicon that didn't make it for the top-end EPYC.

Yeah it's an interesting conundrum, though watch AdoredTV's breakdown of the chiplet production at 7nm. The amount of low end chiplets will be very few according to the calculator used. That will result in a very high percentage with full 8c yield of varying power consumption and performance grades. Assuming EPYC is more focused on power consumption that outright highest frequency if they bin with that in mind EPYC would get the lowest power draw chiplets that reach a certain spec (say 3.5GHz or 4.0GHz) leaving the highest clocking ones for ThreadRipper and 3850X's for instance. It's a bit of a break from the Intel norm of mainstream gets **** silicon vs business getting premium silicon, but that was always a nonsense in the first place, just like their forced segregation of components with things like limited PCI-E lanes etc...

We can't know until release what the reality of it will be, though I'm really looking forward to it. If the max boost is 4.8GHz with a 10% IPC gain then it's still a very interesting product and still a direct challenge for Coffee Lake at the very top end of mainstream.

Soldato
...though watch AdoredTV's breakdown of the chiplet production at 7nm.

Yeah, that's what got me confuddled in the first place; those golden 8-core 4.5GHz chiplets would be up at the super-sweet end of the scale based on his discussion. But your point about power consumption is a good one; server parts would benefit more from the lowest power draw possible than outright clock speed. If a fully-functioning 8 core chiplet can do 3.5GHz at silly low volts then that's an EPYC chiplet, otherwise that's pegged for a Ryzen 9.

If the max boost is 4.8GHz with a 10% IPC gain then it's still a very interesting product and still a direct challenge for Coffee Lake at the very top end of mainstream.

That would probably even beat a Coffee Lake at all but 1080p 240Hz gaming.

Associate
If we assume that the specs here are correct, is anyone able to put those in perspective for a simple man like myself :D I'm currently looking at a i7 8700K (which will be duly OC'd) - what kind of performance bump might the Ryzen 7 provide over the 8700k (say at 1440p).

Caporegime

You do need to watch this to understand it.

But guys, massive pinch of salt, yeah? :) Ryzen 3000 will be good, good enough to give Intel nightmares but don't get your hopes up to much.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

If we assume that the specs here are correct, is anyone able to put those in perspective for a simple man like myself :D I'm currently looking at a i7 8700K (which will be duly OC'd) - what kind of performance bump might the Ryzen 7 provide over the 8700k (say at 1440p).

really hard to say until you have it in front of you and its tested. I mean take the Ryzen 5 2600x for example, on paper it has the same number of cores and threads and a higher clock speed than Intel's i7 8700 (at base) yet in the majority of benchmarks, the i7 performs better.

Back
Top Bottom