Epic Games Store now open!

Soldato
Far more likely to result in higher prices.....

The publisher having direct control over the price, direct distribution and a limited library means prices are only going one way- UP.

Associate
And the end of the day, the most important thing for punters will be the prices. The few exclusives will help in the short-term, but the limited regional pricing they do currently will hurt. They'll miss out on a lot of sales from places like South America until they can get that sorted out. I am finding it funny that people are going to Ashen's steam forum to bring up issues with the devs.

Soldato
It's no surprise why more gaming companies are moving towards their own platforms for hosting their games, Valve's greed has pushed them in that direction.

I think Valve really needs to wake up and smell the coffee, it's early enough for them to make some drastic changes for it to not be so much of a problem. But if they don't react for a few years, they may find a steep uphill battle further down the line.

its a great thing. more that do this forces valve to stop being so greedy so more choice for us and better prices.

If Valve only charged one percent (despite having created this technology and developed the market), the likes of Ubisoft or EA would copy them because they want that one percent themselves.

If anything, prices won't get cheaper, they will stay the same so that the money that would have gone to Steam will go to EA, Ubi, or Epic. They just want the slice of pie that would have gone to Steam once Valve showed it could be done and could make a profit.

Caporegime
How will this result in better prices?

epic are on about selling other games not on their engine. so obviously to compete with steam they will have to sell cheaper to get business. the two will battle it out and epic need to grow the platform.so in other words they need to be cheaper to get bigger. so better prices for us. in turn valve unless no one changes will have to lower prices to compete if ...epic get enough business there way. by just sticking head in the sand and just buying from steam all the time because our games collections are there we are basically allowing them to overcharge us for games because your games collection is there.

Associate
epic are on about selling other games not on their engine. so obviously to compete with steam they will have to sell cheaper to get business. the two will battle it out and epic need to grow the platform.so in other words they need to be cheaper to get bigger. so better prices for us. in turn valve unless no one changes will have to lower prices to compete if ...epic get enough business there way. by just sticking head in the sand and just buying from steam all the time because our games collections are there we are basically allowing them to overcharge us for games because your games collection is there.

Currently the only game being sold on both the epic store and steam is Shadow Complex. It's £11 on steam and $15 on epic (a little under £14), and that difference gets even worse in other countries. Hopefully they'll get smart on that front but it's not a great start.

Soldato

But will there games be available outside the epic store or will you only be able to buy them there?
I don't 'just buy from Steam', in fact I rarely do. I buy games that run throigh Steam sure, but there are plenty of places to buy them and bargains to be had, plenty of competition there.

Caporegime
1 game give it chance just started not even kicked in yet. the game giveaways start in few days. it will take time to build up. look at steam and how long they have had to make it a big platform. 15 years maybe ? you cant expect something to rival that over night.

i just dont get why people are trying to kick the feet out from the company before its even started or being so negative makes no sense. competition = better prices. dont people want better choice, prices ?

Last edited:
Soldato
1 game give it chance just started not even kicked in yet. the game giveaways start in few days. it will take time to build up. look at steam and how long they have had to make it a big platform. 15 years maybe ? you cant expect something to rival that over night.

i just dont get why people are trying to kick the feet out from the company before its even started or being so negative makes no sense. competition = better prices. dont people want better choice, prices ?

I think the reasons are:
A - People don't want yet another launcher
B - Most people don't believe it will lead to better prices
C - The Epic launcher is awful at the moment

Sure, Steam as had 15 years to get where it is, but when you're playing catch up you don't get that long. That's why they have to buy customers with give aways and offer the Developers better rates, just to have any kind of hope, be interesting to see if it works out I guess.

Associate
It might have something to do with the fact I remember the physical install disc days but I don't really see any problem with different launchers/DRM platforms.
Even on the off chance I can't remember which one a certain game is on, they load up quickly enough so it doesn't take me long to work out.
Just my tuppence worth. :)

Last edited:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Steam has been working for 15 years.... At the very least the EPIC launcher should be just as good, if not better. The usual excuse of give it time, its new etc is just spin for a yet another platform to install so yet another publisher can get a slice off STEAM and generate revenue for themselves to say anything else is just stupid unless its for PR.........................for you new "not as good as steam platform"

Soldato
It might have something to do with the fact I remember the physical install disc days but I don't really see any problem with different launchers/DRM platforms.
Even on the off chance I can't remember which one a certain game is on, they load up quickly enough so it doesn't take me long to work out.
Just my tuppence worth. :)

It's a multitude of things really. For me, it's the awfully bloated clients that run like **** and have terrible interfaces. I'm not saying Steam is a saint, far from. But it's just got such a monopoly that other companies wanting to dip into the money pool is just annoying as it ends up consumers not bothering to buy the game if it's not on steam. I know the market is small, but my wife and I looked into building an itx gaming PC to put along side our consoles in the living room. The main reason we didn't was the different clients and the fuss it would take to swap out each time.

Associate
I'm used to waiting for my console to PC releases so I'll just wait for the timed exclusivity on the Epic store to end for any title I'm interested in and if any game stays exclusive there's not exactly a shortage of games launching each month I'll play instead. I also take umbrage at money hatting exclusivity of 3rd party titles for obvious reasons.

I'm far too invested in Steam and what services it offers, the fact the Epic store lacks any similar functionality at launch knowing what the competition offers is not exactly going to help them sell this proposition.

Back
Top Bottom