A Scania HGV "review" - 10 years after the last one!

The trick I find is to pay as much attention to the mirrors as you can but above all be aware of what’s around you before it gets to your blind spot and always assume something is already in said blind spot prior to manoeuvres.

Such a shame that so many do not use this driving everthing. Its what I do when driving so I know without even looking what car is by my side (each side potentially). yet seemingly for many drivers they have no idea whats going on around them and are "surprised" when they find something there.
Probably the worst candidates are outside lane nazis who never have time to check their mirrors as they are driving so close to the car in front. Probably the self same declared good drivers ;)

Soldato
You said that the lorry is much better than it used to be... Do the trailers "get better" or develop over the years or are they pretty 'dumb' and just a long lump of metal with some wheels at the end? Like you say the handling is much improved etc do trailers get better?

Also how is it / lorries in general in the snow? I would have thought not great as so much tyre is in contact with the ground it would snow-plane?

Soldato
Lovely piece of kit.

My dad was a driver for many years and used to take me along whenever he could. Eventually he got his international CPC and turned to transport management. He ran a modest fleet of around 50 units and 150 trailers, but only Scania really got his juices flowing.

I remember him saying once "there's no such thing as a hill when you're driving a Scania".

Man of Honour
You said that the lorry is much better than it used to be... Do the trailers "get better" or develop over the years or are they pretty 'dumb' and just a long lump of metal with some wheels at the end? Like you say the handling is much improved etc do trailers get better?

Also how is it / lorries in general in the snow? I would have thought not great as so much tyre is in contact with the ground it would snow-plane?
Trailers do get better. The walls of our European Krone ones are made of some groovy honeycomb translucent polymer and our Cartwright ones are streamlined for fuel saving.

Caporegime
OP
seemingly for many drivers they have no idea whats going on around them and are "surprised" when they find something there.
So true, I’ve had a few incidents over the years where I’ve literally watched a car along side my trailer start to indicate, move over and then turn their head in surprise as they hear the bang of them driving into the side of the trailer! Unbelievable but it happens , I’d say at least once a day I’ll blast my horn to warn the guy who’s in my mirror view i.e. the majority of my rig is ahead of him and you’d think clearly visible yet the indicator comes on as they start moving into my lane.

Blinkered driver syndrome!

The trailers have improved massively too over the years, I notice the difference because we’ve got a few old ones, circa 2003 so not ancient but old enough and a few 2018 built ones, the difference is striking.

Older ones tend to have early incarnations of ABS which won’t “talk” to the ABS computer in the tractor properly, the ABS still works but the brakes tend to snatch - especially when lightly loaded or empty - which gets tiresome, you can certainly feel a heavily loaded older trailer starting to get brake fade (many have drum brakes) on a hilly route.

The newer ones have ESP (Electronic stability), ABS, adjustable air suspension, disc brakes and are generally lighter in unladen weight, the electronics talk properly to the tractor and the whole combination is very much more stable, especially on bends.

As for snow, touch wood, I’m yet to get stuck out on the road, I remember one year waking up and being unable to get out of a lay-by near Inverness because a snow plough had been past during the night and blocked the exit with heaps of snow and in addition my trailer had become a large snow drift, went back to bed, the snowplough crew came back after rush hour and got me and the other trucks out by clearing the lay-by. :D

In terms of driving in snow, we just crack on, you still get your deliveries!

You just have to be extremely careful of jack-knifing especially on bends and under braking and the golden rule is don’t stop unless you have to, more often than not it’s car drivers blocking the road that hold you up rather than the truck itself, you can transfer more weight onto the drive axle to help with traction, we’ve got diff locks and a lot of gears to choose from which helps greatly. :)

My dad was a trucker and driver of ridiculously big plant, so ever since seeing his work vehicles I've always loved HGV cabins. Loads of buttons and things, like a spaceship!

Questions:
- Where's the CB radio and what's your handle? Having a truck without one just doesn't seem right!
- What extras do you have in the bunk? Do you still get a TV?
- Can I have a go in it? :D

Many larger ships have emergency stopping distances of 2-3 miles, and the really big VLCCs require 5 days notice in writing!!
No CB these days alas, tbh, the last time I used a CB in a truck I found myself talking to I presume some saddo sat in his underpants in a bedroom somewhere! nothing truck related, no "Breaker 1-9" quite a dissapointment, I turned the thing off for the rest of my shift. :(

No T.V. but I carry a laptop (sourced , of course, from the MM here) which is full of films.

I'd love to let you have a try, you'd be surprised how easy to drive they are going forward, reversing - even after 14 years on Class 1 artics - still catches me out occasionally :o

The stopping distance depends a lot on what your carrying, if its something big and heavy, it can - in certain situations - be better to hit something rather than pull a full on stop and let said item come through the trailers bulkhead and crush you! :eek:
Lovely piece of kit.

My dad was a driver for many years and used to take me along whenever he could. Eventually he got his international CPC and turned to transport management. He ran a modest fleet of around 50 units and 150 trailers, but only Scania really got his juices flowing.

I remember him saying once "there's no such thing as a hill when you're driving a Scania".

Scania's have always "floated my boat" as it were, they just seem imo to have most things right, a Volvo FH has a better cab for space along with a DAF XF but from a driving perspective they imo have it nailed, they stop better, handle better and pull better but, along with Volvo, have reliability absolutely on the money, its ironic,German trucks just don't cut the mustard (wheras their cars are viewed as premium) - MAN (who like Scania are VW owned) trucks start to fall apart after a few hundred K, Mercedes do the same (albeit from new! :D) the sweeds , Volvo & Scania don't yet you don't find a Volvo car viewed as "premium" and SAAB (once owners of Scania) are now defunct....

Hills are always good, I know I can usually pass another truck once we hit a bank as he'll slow but I won't - and thats with a 6 pot engine - as for the bigger engines they produce, theres a tagline "Your never late in a V8" :D
With no trailer weight and just the truck itself, what's performance like?
More than enough to beat Mr chav lad in his Corsa off the lights and upto the point where the limiter kicks in, the look of puzzlement never ceases to amuse. ;)

Trailers do get better. The walls of our European Krone ones are made of some groovy honeycomb translucent polymer and our Cartwright ones are streamlined for fuel saving.
Indeed they do. :)

Soldato
Blinkered driver syndrome!

The trailers have improved massively too over the years, I notice the difference because we’ve got a few old ones, circa 2003 so not ancient but old enough and a few 2018 built ones, the difference is striking.

Older ones tend to have early incarnations of ABS which won’t “talk” to the ABS computer in the tractor properly, the ABS still works but the brakes tend to snatch - especially when lightly loaded or empty - which gets tiresome, you can certainly feel a heavily loaded older trailer starting to get brake fade (many have drum brakes) on a hilly route.

The newer ones have ESP (Electronic stability), ABS, adjustable air suspension, disc brakes and are generally lighter in unladen weight, the electronics talk properly to the tractor and the whole combination is very much more stable, especially on bends.

As for snow, touch wood, I’m yet to get stuck out on the road, I remember one year waking up and being unable to get out of a lay-by near Inverness because a snow plough had been past during the night and blocked the exit with heaps of snow and in addition my trailer had become a large snow drift, went back to bed, the snowplough crew came back after rush hour and got me and the other trucks out by clearing the lay-by. :D

In terms of driving in snow, we just crack on, you still get your deliveries!

You just have to be extremely careful of jack-knifing especially on bends and under braking and the golden rule is don’t stop unless you have to, more often than not it’s car drivers blocking the road that hold you up rather than the truck itself, you can transfer more weight onto the drive axle to help with traction, we’ve got diff locks and a lot of gears to choose

More than enough to beat Mr chav lad in his Corsa off the lights and upto the point where the limiter kicks in, the look of puzzlement never ceases to amuse. ;)

Indeed they do. :)

Thanks that's interesting stuff!

When you don't have a trailer can you change up three gears at a time?

Underboss
Once upon a long time ago this was my truck for the day - out of the entire fleet bar a big Volvo we had it was nicest big/little truck we had.

RUTaBwz.jpg

Image shamelessly stolen from Google as I can't seem to find my pictures from that era.

Scania do some make the cab a nice place to be.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks that's interesting stuff!

When you don't have a trailer can you change up three gears at a time?
Cheers:)

When empty / solo (as in no trailer) it’ll start off in 3rd and usually jump two gears between changes.

I’ve tried it I’m manual mode and it’ll happily pull away from standstill in 5th on its own,the R450 is built to pull 50+ tons so dragging ~ 8 tons off the line really poses no problems to it!

Lovely!

I work on DAFs on a daily basis, mostly rigid LF45s but do quite a few CF85s too. This seems like a massive step up from those.
It’s a whole different world, more gears, more gizmos, more (much) more power and torque, they are remarkable things, but, at a price and it’s considerable, ballpark £90k to buy one outright iirc.

Soldato
One thing I've always wondered with trucks automatic braking systems, can it tell the trailer is loaded with 44 tons of steel and not slam the brakes on in an emergency?

Soldato
Is that Browns between Longport and Tunstall? I cycled past there along the canal earlier today. Nice cab, love the interior lighting. Gotta say, trucks have come a long way since my Uncle was driving his Foden and then Volvo back in the day.

Soldato
Looks very smart, although it doesn't look like it has xenons fitted? My father in-laws is a semi retired driver (retired this year) and hehes quite chilled out with his driving, I think he finds it quite therapeutic. I've always wondered why 24c rather than 12 though, is it just to reduce current/cable size?

ajf

ajf

Soldato
I’d love to have a go in something like this! Wonder if anyone does a ‘track day’ for trucks?!
Must admit I like this new generation of Scania but always loved the Volvo FH.
Mentioning the V8s, there is a truck by where I work that has been ‘tuned’ as the V8s seem to be.
Guess it has the equivalent of a sports exhaust and sounds pretty nice.
Can’t remember what company it is that runs it but they are a blue livery with matching trailers.
Think they also have a bonneted Scania as well.

Soldato
[expected to see some top gear steppenwolf on the playlist ? ... daren't reload previous page again system might die,
also
I did n't spot a dash-cam - maybe there was a tyre iron though ]

Look smart - yes ...

Is the emergency braking up there with Volvo ? this impressive utube still sticks in my mind Volvo truck emergency braking system - How it Works but maybe that had little load

How many miles do you get from tyres on a driven axle ? are you changing once a month.

Back
Top Bottom