What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Bumblebee, pretty good movie overall

Have to ask though, what is the recurring gimmick in these movies of Bumblebee losing his voice? I know it happened in one of the cartoon series but i don't get why this is always associated with his character in these live action movies. Just seems like a dumb plot point to keep recycling over and over.

Man of Honour
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - I remember it quite fondly as a kid, but it's not funny at all. We turned it off after 45 mins.

Dated slapstick.
It is largely dated but I think a lot of the charm is that by the end you just feel really sorry for the dad so it’s nice when things look up.

I still recall the original vacation being amusing but perhaps that’s aged too.

Soldato
The Night Comes For Us - 8.5/10

If Leon, John Wick and The Raid Redemption had a baby this would be it. It's bonkers action but I really enjoyed it. The story is a little thin but my word, what an action packed film.
as you say really enjoyable - you omitted the Uma Therman/chick flik, side-story ..
choreography of the fight scenes excellent, much less of the fast cutting sequences you see in the poor hollywood metoos
nice touches with the classical music coupe-de-grace, and the poetic justice of he who carries a knife/X will likely be killed by that.

Permabanned
Watership Down remake bbc/netflix 2018
9/10 - I really love the watership down story, this version is really well made. It's 2 parts about 3 hours total.
I just can't give it a 10 because they've deviated a lot from the book by playing gender politics. Several male characters removed, several male characters transitioned into female characters, that stuff does my head in.

Soldato
Far From The Madding Crowd. 9/10

All these years I've known of this title but never really knew the story. I was expecting it to be boring but it was absolutely compelling. Brilliant acting by the four lead actors and stunning scenery.

Soldato
christmas movies!
rare exports - 7/10 - pretty good finnish horror about santa
gremlins - 10/10 - a near perfect film
trading places - 10/10 - same again, hadn't seen it in years and its still great. I had forgotten some of the stuff that happens though - sensitive students would have a heart attack!!

Caporegime
The Happytime Murders

As expected, pretty crap, just a few chuckles here and there.

4/10

Juliet, Naked

Decided on something a bit different from what we normally watch, and it was quite enjoyable as a low-comedy dramady looking at mid-life crises.

6/10

Associate
Watched 2 in a row last night on the projector.

1) Equalizer 2 - Good fun but felt it lost its way and the finale was quite poor compared to the original. 6/10
2) Mission Impossible: Fallout - Very impressed by this. Epic action film, great script, funny in places too. Almost flawless really. 9/10

Soldato
I just got back from watching Bumblebee with my son, I thought it was awesome. I normally hate the Transformers films (contrived, just explosions and the leading lady running round useless and half clad) but this was the opposite. Good story/fight balance, fun characters, nice lead who wasn't useless and didn't spend her time semi naked and overall just a fun and enjoyable story.

Ace film 8/10

Soldato
Bumblebee, pretty good movie overall

Have to ask though, what is the recurring gimmick in these movies of Bumblebee losing his voice? I know it happened in one of the cartoon series but i don't get why this is always associated with his character in these live action movies. Just seems like a dumb plot point to keep recycling over and over.

It happened in the first one and with this being an origin story of sorts they couldn't really reverse it (though could perhaps have saved it to the end)

Man of Honour
Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse - 9/10

Not one for animated movies but I was completely hooked from the start I barely noticed it. Funny, emotional, and well written, those 2 hours flew by. Easily the best Spider-Man movie and right up there with the best Superhero movies period.

Caporegime
Midnight Sun

It's more of your teenage love story in the veins of The Faults of Our Stars, A Walk to Remember etc, cliche, cringe worth at times, predictable, acting is so so and there is nothing new but I loved it. I found myself getting emotional in the last 5 mins and I couldn't stop it so it did something right.

It's not a great film but the 12 year old girl in me loved it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom