*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Associate
2019 is going well so far, been consistent with the gym.. not overloading myself on weights with bad form but dropped the weight and just tried to lift properly. Watched a few Athlean X videos and tried one of his Shoulders workouts, I'm feeling it which can only be a good thing.

Diet still needs looking at, wife is helping me with this and looked at low carb and sugar meals but trying to find stuff that's sustainable long term so I don't end up craving all the time. Albeit I ended up having a rotisserie half chicken today for lunch which I'm not sure is good or not, as I say.. needs a lot of work here.

Man of Honour
Yep, best fitness related channel on Youtube imo. Scott Herman, Jeff Nippard and Buff dudes are also decent channels to follow.

Scott Herman is useful as is Alan Thrall. Did you see what happened to one of the buff dudes recently? Nasty accident.

Oh, don’t forget to throw in some brosciencelife :D

Soldato
In for the '19 gainz... and losses...

I'm coming into the new year at 100.7kg which, for 187cm, puts me at "overweight" bmi, which I know is flawed science but getting down to 87kgs (and "healthy" bmi) is going to be a target for the year.

My other 2019 targets are:
  • 200kg deadlift (best: 190kg; last: 190)
  • 12 strict pull-ups, "1-set max" (best:10; last: 7)
  • Sub-25 min local parkrun 5k (best: 25.08; last:28)
  • Sub 38min 10k row (best: 39.30; last: -)

Soldato
Seem to be having same problem as before with deadlifts, grip giving out before anything else. I could strap but gotta fix that wet fish handshake I call a grip as 120kg is way too light for getting accessories involved.

Caporegime
Seem to be having same problem as before with deadlifts, grip giving out before anything else. I could strap but gotta fix that wet fish handshake I call a grip as 120kg is way too light for getting accessories involved.

Chalk it up

Or, hook grip, I usually switch to hook when on about that weight for sets

Also depends on what grip you do, I don't do mixed grip, only double overhand

Man of Honour
^^yup, plus chalk.

Meh, go as high as you can with overhand grip. Then try hook and then mixed or straps as you go higher. I push my grip, but won’t let that limit my maximum lift. Saying that, mixed keeps me going until my max currently. I struggle with hook, I have tiny hands :p

Man of Honour
Well, if ever there was a time to drop the bench press bar it is during a warm up set with nothing on! Missed the holder bit, slammed into my shoulder. Geez, wouldn’t fancy that with weight on.

Weight area of the gym is quieter than ever. I guess the rush will start next week. Busy cardio area though - not that I would know much about that :p

Soldato
Well I go to Pure Gym so chalk isn't something I'll be bringing with me and pretty sure it's against some rules, being commercial gym and all.

It is my double overhand grip that's all over the place, I'm ok on the mixed one. I have forgotten about the hook grip, will try that out next time.

Another reason I don't want to push too hard with straps is because only been doing stronglifts for over 2 months after years off proper lifting. Still letting the body get used to the weights and don't want to end up in snap city.

I do feel like I can squat and deadlift more than 100/120kg but letting things happen naturally and without injury setbacks. Bench I'm struggling with, since I don't like the bar I'm on dumbbells and been on stuck on 38s for 3 weeks now.

Man of Honour
Well I go to Pure Gym so chalk isn't something I'll be bringing with me and pretty sure it's against some rules, being commercial gym and all.

It is my double overhand grip that's all over the place, I'm ok on the mixed one. I have forgotten about the hook grip, will try that out next time.

Another reason I don't want to push too hard with straps is because only been doing stronglifts for over 2 months after years off proper lifting. Still letting the body get used to the weights and don't want to end up in snap city.

I do feel like I can squat and deadlift more than 100/120kg but letting things happen naturally and without injury setbacks. Bench I'm struggling with, since I don't like the bar I'm on dumbbells and been on stuck on 38s for 3 weeks now.

You may be allowed liquid chalk? They probably wouldn’t even notice since it doesn’t make a mess.

Just go steady. With the correct diet and routine you will increase your max lifts, but form is more important. I can’t really flat bench and only occasionally do it - but I can comfortably incline and decline bench which translates to flat nicely. Dumbbells work well too, you just have to work out what works best for you. If you are stuck on a weight, reduce the weight and hammer out more reps and sets. I have plateaued plenty of times, but it comes good eventually.

Man of Honour
I never had a problem using liquid chalk at pure gym, pretty sure there's nothing in the rules about it. Just don't go squirting it on everything.

Soldato
DOH?

Just go steady. With the correct diet and routine you will increase your max lifts, but form is more important. I can’t really flat bench and only occasionally do it - but I can comfortably incline and decline bench which translates to flat nicely. Dumbbells work well too, you just have to work out what works best for you. If you are stuck on a weight, reduce the weight and hammer out more reps and sets. I have plateaued plenty of times, but it comes good eventually.

To be fair goal is weight loss this year, increasing the lifts is secondary. I'm 124kg at 186cm so just happy to perfect the form and increase the weight as I feel it rather than follow a structured programme (2.5kg increase a week etc) on calorie restriction.

Man of Honour
DOH?

To be fair goal is weight loss this year, increasing the lifts is secondary. I'm 124kg at 186cm so just happy to perfect the form and increase the weight as I feel it rather than follow a structured programme (2.5kg increase a week etc) on calorie restriction.

Whatever keeps you going to the gym. My most enjoyable sessions are when I kick the plan to the curb and just do what I fancy :)

Associate
Might be best to sak in here. But someone got some advice for exercises I could do at home with mostly body weight as resistance?

I've come up with the following ones:
Push ups
Sit ups
Lunges
Squats (but need to be careful with those due to dodgy knees)
Plank
Back lift (or what it is called when you lay on your belly and lift your upper body up)

I'm looking to get either a kettlebell (10kg) or a dumbell set in end of the month at payday.

My little equipment I got at home is at the moment:
various resistance/stretch bands (from light to heavy use)
push up bars
ab roller (I think it's called)
yoga mat
couple of sets of hand squeezing thingies
skipping rope

Problem I got is nearest gym is about 3 miles from home, I don't drive and work mostly nights and live 10 minute walk from work. But I got good areas behind my flats for running.

Soldato
Single kettlebell should add a nice extra dimension to the workouts and doesn't take much space. I think you might outgrow 10kg pretty quick though, I'd say 16kg is a good one for an average male.

You can do swings, squats/deadlifts, cleans, overhead presses, if you're crazy enough Turkish get ups, Around The World, etc. Just depends what gaps in your exercises you want to fill really.

Associate
Single kettlebell should add a nice extra dimension to the workouts and doesn't take much space. I think you might outgrow 10kg pretty quick though, I'd say 16kg is a good one for an average male.

You can do swings, squats/deadlifts, cleans, overhead presses, if you're crazy enough Turkish get ups, Around The World, etc. Just depends what gaps in your exercises you want to fill really.

I'm looking to set up a pretty basic all-round session that covers most of the body, and something that will strengthen my core as well.

Back
Top Bottom