1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Discussion in 'Sports Arena' started by spluff, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Skidder

Man of Honour

Ta will keep that in mind. I'm in the garage so nobody to give me a steer except the dog.

2. tom_e

Man of Honour

It's certainly tempting to overuse them as they make everything feel a little easier but in the same sort of way as using straps for anything involving grip you'll be missing out on developing a big part of the chain of becoming functionally strong.

Personally I tend you use mine if I'm right at the edge of my squat strength or if I'm really pushing my ohp. For deads I find them more of a hindrance and don't bother.

3. Skidder

Man of Honour

Haven't tried one for OHP although I have been struggling with that. Will lay off on squat and deadlift and see how I go. Generally finding the squat alright.

4. tom_e

Man of Honour

OHP is generally a slow burner and a lift where progress will be slow in comparison to other compounds.

5. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

OHP is always a slow mover. It is the slowest by far for me. I probably find a belt most useful for these.

6. tom_e

Man of Honour

[​IMG]
    This is my aim for the year. Get back into this condition think I was about 16.5st

7. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

Beast.

8. neoboy

Capodecina

Cameras weren't even around when I was in shape I want to return to ;)

9. kaptainmarc

Mobster

my goal for this year is to look like Tom_e

what were you training for @tom_e BB or strength?

10. tom_e

Man of Honour

Purely strength, I enjoy my food too much to be pretty :D

11. LiE

Suspended

hhhnnnnggg

12. Syla5

Mobster

2019 is starting to come together slowly for me, garage gym is now fully cleared out and useable again, guess this means I need to sort out a workout plan. Will post a pic up later.

Some suggestions for mixed grip. From personal experience I would suggest against this. While it will help you lift more weight because your grip isn't failing, it will also generate imbalances in your back muscles, even though I alternated the switched hand in what I thought was a regular and consistent manner, the imbalances that built up over a couple of years of training were mental.

Always go as far as you can with no straps, only using chalk (liquid chalk is great stuff link), after that either hook grip or straps. If you never intend to do any sort of power lifting competition then straps are fine, just only ever use them in your later sets, normally later working sets.

Not sure if this has been said already but if you are doing stronglifts then it is advised you only do 3 working sets for deadlifts.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  13. spluff

Wise Guy

Stronglifts 5x5 advise doing 1 working set....

14. Syla5

Mobster

Yes but many agree this is way to little, which is why 3x5 is often the happy medium.

15. LiE

Suspended

I'm a fan of 3 sets of 5 for Deadlifts. Anymore and I'm RIP.

16. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

17. GiraffePencils

Mobster

18. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

19. LiE

Suspended

20. DrToffnar

Mobster

Just finished up a week off and it was fantastic being able to train in the mid mornings as appose to evenings. Got so much more energy around 10ish and made marked improvements on my bench and squat weights.

Can totally see what you guys where talking about with regards to the addiction to activity now. Been at this for around 4 months now and am starting to see and feel some real changes in my body. Feels awesome!