QLED vs OLED

Soldato
Its totally different tech and comes with its own drawbacks as well. If the only thing you care for is blacks, then your all set.
This is a simple viewpoint though of course, it's not just about the blacks. It is about the blacks, which effectively means much better contrast and stunning HDR.

I still don't get the notion that it "must be in a darkened room". Must be the same people who don't actually own them, just regurtitating the same misleading misinformation instead?

Soldato
I still don't get the notion that it "must be in a darkened room". Must be the same people who don't actually own them, just regurtitating the same misleading misinformation instead?
- no excuse not to use google to find the answer ? -
the eye statically (without adjusting iris) can only detect a contrast ratio sub 1000, which is well within the range of most led and oled; if you are not in a dark room you cannot discern the perfect black the oled can deliver, and a led will provide same perception.
in other words - the levels of black the oled provide beneath the ambiant light are 'wasted'
full HD LCD panel test, light bleeding test, motion test, tv tests

Soldato
the eye statically (without adjusting iris) can only detect a contrast ratio sub 1000, which is well within the range of most led and oled; if you are not in a dark room you cannot discern the perfect black the oled can deliver, and a led will provide same perception.
in other words - the levels of black the oled provide beneath the ambiant light are 'wasted'

The light bleed on the lcd is certainly discernable over the oled and the superior contrast in the picture of the oled is quite clear when side by side.

The bottom line is this: either you know that oled is a better picture overall.... Or you think qled is because you believe Samsung marketing.

Caporegime

Not true at all, at least with my eyes anyway.

I can instantly tell how true blacks are with a variety of content.

Look at any images like the below in "real life" on both an OLED or LCD set, even in a relatively bright room and it is extremely obvious which one is which:

lPFDlFt.jpg

k12UH8o.jpg

FJCnXD1.jpg

Also, this is SDR content..... For LCD to even come anywhere close, it would need to HDR and even then, it won't be anywhere close and you'll have halo'ing.

Soldato
..and, if you care about blacks, Vincent's LG expose would have me worried (sharing posturization problem with recent pan fx700 thread)
since I would be getting (LG)oled to try out viewing in a darkened room,
OK I should probably accept I will need to invest in a HQ uhd-disc source too.

poor Vincent has a fatwa.
This does not surprise me at all as LG OLED's have always been know for having problems with near blacks for years

Soldato
Also, this is SDR content.
are they all your oled pictures ? (including the dell!)

Even without studying technical capabilities of the human eye ..
Subjectively, for blacks, Vincent has videos eg below, categorising qled being close to oled, even, in dark room viewing
LG C8 OLED vs Samsung Q9FN QLED 2018 TV Comparison
They are selling led in the shops too, priced similarly, but maybe consumers are being brexit'ed (can we start using this as a verb)

LG OLED's have always been know for having problems with near blacks for years
I guess I had read some material, but,a utube video says a 1000 words, it seems more objective.

..... Now, you listen here: Vincents not the Messiah, 'e's a very naughty boy! Now, go away!

Soldato
Can't say I have noticed the flickering Vincent showed in that video.

Saying that I ain't going looking for it must be my settings and lowered brightness. I tend to watch most of my content on Tec and darkroom settings.

Lots of compressed content.

Also I really can't believe people actually think high end LED TV's can't compete with OLEDS.

Saying that top of the range Sony and Samsung FALD sets are quite a bit more expensive than an OLED.

So for my veiwing habits OLED is an easy choice.

Last edited:
Caporegime
One Year Update - OLED Burn-in Test – RTINGS.com

So 20 hours a day for a year on CNN was the only test that actually produced burn in. If you just look at the hours alone that's around 5 years under normal-heavy usage and for most people who only do a couple of hours a day, much longer. Of course it could be an issue for people on long upgrade cycles who can afford to game/watch the news for 8 hours a day, but for myself (currently sitting at around 1500 hours on my B7) I'll have upgraded by then and I never expect to get much money back for a TV after 3-5 years, it will just go in another room unless burn in has occurred and is noticeably bad.

As @Bigpig has said above, I'd happily have a top end LED instead if the prices weren't astronomical. The ZD9 my friend has is exceptional for HDR content but cost him more than three times what I paid for my OLED.

Caporegime
Can't say I have noticed the flickering Vincent showed in that video.

Saying that I ain't going looking for it must be my settings and lowered brightness. I tend to watch most of my content on Tec and darkroom settings.

Lots of compressed content.

Also I really can't believe people actually think high end LED TV's can't compete with OLEDS.

Saying that top of the range Sony and Samsung FALD sets are quite a bit more expensive than an OLED.

So for my veiwing habits OLED is an easy choice.

they both have their pro's and con's.

i am fully aware of what OLED does better and fully aware of what a decent FALD set can do too and what it does better.

i used to be the same as you back when plasma was the best for blacks, contrast, dimming, etc. however the banding on plasma is horrific. back then the ghosting of lcd's annoyed me more.

the simple fact is - no tv is perfect. therefore for someone to say OLED > ALL is completely wrong. it all depends on your usage. it also depends on what OLED you get as well.

i will be buying an OLED in future however i will always stick with an LCD for console usage most likely. things will only get better and the xf90 is quite simply a stunning set. i'm amazed it's an LCD which shows how far they have come.

Associate
Wow, almost sounds like it was always in eco mode or something? I have two large windows and a completely white room. Whether the curtains are open or closed, the picture is clear, never any issue of being able to see it. I just flick between "Bright room" and "dark room" setting accordingly.
Stuck my B8 in Technicolor expert and left it, works brilliantly in all lighting conditions for me.

Soldato
I picked the LG C8 Oled because it's a bit of an all rounder. Ran a few test patterns got lucky with screen uniformity.

The C6 I had before had yellow tinting down the middle.

Almost went for the samsung Q9FN but it was 400 quid more expensive.

Would have no problem is recommending or buying a good FALD.

Soldato
So 20 hours a day for a year on CNN was the only test that actually produced burn in. If you just look at the hours alone that's around 5 years under normal-heavy usage and for most people who only do a couple of hours a day, much longer. Of course it could be an issue for people on long upgrade cycles who can afford to game/watch the news for 8 hours a day, but for myself (currently sitting at around 1500 hours on my B7) I'll have upgraded by then and I never expect to get much money back for a TV after 3-5 years, it will just go in another room unless burn in has occurred and is noticeably bad.

As @Bigpig has said above, I'd happily have a top end LED instead if the prices weren't astronomical. The ZD9 my friend has is exceptional for HDR content but cost him more than three times what I paid for my OLED.
The fact people are having to compare a top end LED to the Oled to try and reinforce their point is telling. The thread is "qled vs oled" and when compared, the oled is clearly the better option.

Soldato
The fact people are having to compare a top end LED to the Oled to try and reinforce their point is telling. The thread is "qled vs oled" and when compared, the oled is clearly the better option.

Again depends on usage . Like my plasma I would not use it for games.

Plus idea of getting g a 75" for £1000 sounds pretty good, good price per inch keep it for few years not worried about screenburn should have a good enough picture.

As for black levels just turn down backlight. On my samsung LCD 2/10 backlight wasn't far off kuro blacks.

Soldato
The oled pricing seems confusing though .. they have dropped to ~£1100 and qled little changed,
is that large production capacity on oled, the panels are cheaper, they choose to have lower margins (foreign currency/ state subsidy) ? , or,
are the led folks money 'grabbing' ... but, they need to be realistic, to avoid going out of business.

Soldato
Again depends on usage . Like my plasma I would not use it for games.

Plus idea of getting g a 75" for £1000 sounds pretty good, good price per inch keep it for few years not worried about screenburn should have a good enough picture.

As for black levels just turn down backlight. On my samsung LCD 2/10 backlight wasn't far off kuro blacks.
My usage is: hours of gaming, hours of movies, hours of news channel. Brightly lit room by day, dimly lit room by night. Completely blacked out room optional (when watching movies for example). Had absolutely no issues whatsoever.

Soldato
The oled pricing seems confusing though .. they have dropped to ~£1100 and qled little changed,
is that large production capacity on oled, the panels are cheaper, they choose to have lower margins (foreign currency/ state subsidy) ? , or,
are the led folks money 'grabbing' ... but, they need to be realistic, to avoid going out of business.

Since there is practically one manufacturer of OLED, I imagine they don't have any concern about going out of business, I don't know though. It's not like OLED is the end game anyway. MLED comes along and will change everything, then the next thing and the next. I champion any progress in tech advancement though. On the other side, it irks me when companies flog something as new or innovative when it isn't though.

Caporegime
Since there is practically one manufacturer of OLED, I imagine they don't have any concern about going out of business, I don't know though. It's not like OLED is the end game anyway. MLED comes along and will change everything, then the next thing and the next. I champion any progress in tech advancement though. On the other side, it irks me when companies flog something as new or innovative when it isn't though.

in the end there was only 1 manufacturer of plasma they still decided to shut the factory down. not saying that will happen with oled. but if something big comes along and OLED can't do it it would be killed off. same goes for LCD.

Back
Top Bottom