Sennheiser gsx 1000 thread?

Associate
Anyone not being able to install the latest firmware for the gsx1000. I update the sennheiser updater to 3.7.7902. But after that I can't update the gsx 1000. It won't let me click on it. It shows there is a new version. but I can't click the checkbox to install it. Even after a reboot. My version is 5.23.37.0.844 and the new version is 5.23.37.0.808.

Stumbled across the firmware after having the gsx sometimes not startup when machine boots. or wake after sleep. I saw there was in issue of it being plugged into usb3 port. So I've now plugged it into a usb2 port and will see if any change. But i'm disappointed cause the changelog says it also fixes other things like 7.1 surround sound.

I've tried all sorts of bios settings like disabling fastboot, usb booting, asmedia 3.1 controller. changed power saving settings. Uninstalled my onboard audio drivers.

I'm starting to think now that the file is no longer available from sennheiser or there is something wrong with the updater program. I do have to wait almost a minute before it even shows the new version in the list. ANd it took an awful long time to upgrade the updater. Then afater its done it just closes out with no prompt. Seems shoddy. Anyone else know of this issue.

Last edited:
Associate
I see the thing has a technical mode where you can manually select the firmware and upgrade. Wish I could download it somewhere though lol.

I returned this overpriced piece of hardware once before. Think it will be going back again....

Soldato
I see the thing has a technical mode where you can manually select the firmware and upgrade. Wish I could download it somewhere though lol.

I returned this overpriced piece of hardware once before. Think it will be going back again....
Yeah, hate those "You need to download and install some automatic software to automatically update something" policies.
Though Olympus Camera Updater actually works and tells clearly what's happening instead of having standard "progress bar of mystery".

USB sound device not waking up from sleep has been known to happen also to other devices.
Guess USB just likely has "too many different cooks" making the soap...
With even different USB ports being run by different controllers possibly needing their own things from BIOS and drivers to reinitialize.
But not starting during normal PC power on process, which should be the surest way to get everything initialized properly, is harder to explain.

Anyway it certainly is very overpriced with worser DAC than in budget level Audigy Fx/Xonar DGX and likely weaker headphone output.

Associate
Yeah, hate those "You need to download and install some automatic software to automatically update something" policies.
Though Olympus Camera Updater actually works and tells clearly what's happening instead of having standard "progress bar of mystery".

USB sound device not waking up from sleep has been known to happen also to other devices.
Guess USB just likely has "too many different cooks" making the soap...
With even different USB ports being run by different controllers possibly needing their own things from BIOS and drivers to reinitialize.
But not starting during normal PC power on process, which should be the surest way to get everything initialized properly, is harder to explain.

Anyway it certainly is very overpriced with worser DAC than in budget level Audigy Fx/Xonar DGX and likely weaker headphone output.

Ya and the thing wants to start with windows even when I tell it not to.

And the GSX is definitely "weak". and only 16 bit lol. 2.0 sound mode is terrible on it. boggles my mind how much this thing costs. Its not really a DAC or a soundcard. Its just a surround sound decoder we should call it. Now I find out there is a firmware to improve the sound and my usb issue but I can't even install it. ugh.

I have a feeling either the updater program is shoddily written or sennheiser indeed pulled the firmware patch since it was bricking most devices like a reddit poster claimed.

I mean onboard cards with 160-180ohm amps and thx tru studio or sonic studio software upscaling the stereo to surround is really not that bad. Most pro gamers would actually perfer that because it is less muffled and footsteps will be louder on left and right channels. Especially since most modern fps games already have 3d audio options. For sennheiser to charge over 200 dollars for this thing is insane. 50-100 would be more reasonable. You are basically buying this thing for looks.

I bought this last year and returned it. bought it again this year just to see if I was crazy or not, but sure enough this thing just feels cheap. I was actually gonna keep it until I ran into this firmware issue.

I think plugging the thing into usb2 ports fixes the issue. But dam wtf the changelog on the firmware says improves 7.1 among other things. But it can't be downloaded anywhere!?!?

For 200 dollars they better email me the dam firmware lmao.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Bought on release still a happy customer :D firmware worked for me right away.
I have used mine on USB 3.0 and updated on 3.0 no issue.

No issues from my end.

Last edited:
Associate
Oh its Shankly lmao. Is Sennheiser paying you? I bet your device came straight from them.

If there were never issues on usb 3.0, why would they release the firmware to fix an issue?

BTW their shoddy customer support still hasn't replied back to my concerns. I'm going to have to call them again.

I think most likely you were just one of the first to install it before they pulled the update from their servers. I don't think this company likes to deal with customer problems and I think they lost a lot of money on this device its so overpriced and they regret manufacturing it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Oh its Shankly lmao. Is Sennheiser paying you? I bet your device came straight from them.

If there were never issues on usb 3.0, why would they release the firmware to fix an issue?

BTW their shoddy customer support still hasn't replied back to my concerns. I'm going to have to call them again.

I think most likely you were just one of the first to install it before they pulled the update from their servers. I don't think this company likes to deal with customer problems and I think they lost a lot of money on this device its so overpriced and they regret manufacturing it.

Abit hostile?
To answer your question no I not getting paid, I bought this direct from them and have prove of purchase. Am simply a happy customer giving my feedback on the product, just because its doesn't lay with your view doesnt mean am wrong. Lol

Fact! I not had issue with USB 3.0 doesn't mean the issue wasn't there for some USB devices. Again am just proving my feedback.

Think about that next time you post and don't be so hostile.

Edit

And I installed the firmware a good few months after its release it was our like 6 months before someone on YouTube pointed out to me they was even an update available.

Mr getting paid by Sennheiser here would have known that months ago its release lol

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@cooloutac
Can you post a screenshot of the updater software.

Edit
Either you software updater is bugged, because you already have the latest firmware update.
.844 is newer than .808

So all this time you trying to update you have nothing to update to. Its the latest from the factory.

Last edited:
Associate
@cooloutac
Can you post a screenshot of the updater software.

Edit
Either you software updater is bugged, because you already have the latest firmware update.
.844 is newer than .808

So all this time you trying to update you have nothing to update to. Its the latest from the factory.

Ok thanks for that shankly! I'm bad at math! I guess thats why Sennheiser hasn't even replied to me haha. And I'm sorry for being hostile. My apologies.

I will now keep the device. Maybe I use to have the old firmware on the device I had last year, because it does sound a little better to me now and I planned on keeping it before trying to update the firmware, mistakenly thinking there was an problem updating it.

Again I'm sorry for the confusion.

Soldato
OP
Ok thanks for that shankly! I'm bad at math! I guess thats why Sennheiser hasn't even replied to me haha. And I'm sorry for being hostile. My apologies.

I will now keep the device. Maybe I use to have the old firmware on the device I had last year, because it does sound a little better to me now and I planned on keeping it before trying to update the firmware, mistakenly thinking there was an problem updating it.

Again I'm sorry for the confusion.

Apologie accepted.
Least you figured it out now. Now I would like to know what is new in 844 vs 808

Associate
Thanks for the heads up, just updated mine to 808. Haven't had a chance to try out new firmware to hear if there's a difference.

Associate
Thanks for the heads up, just updated mine to 808. Haven't had a chance to try out new firmware to hear if there's a difference.

SO you don't see an 844? Very weird hope I don't have some chinese hacker firmware? lmao.... Sennheiser finally replied to me and I asked them what is different in 844 vs 808. They haven't replied back.

I still have the wake from sleep issues. Startup issues stopped after using usb2 instead of usb3. But apparenlty this firmware still doesn't fix any of those issues for me.

But I have figured out, and remembered I also did this on the previous gsx device I owned, which is to toggle the volume in task manager to wake up the device. This seems to always works. It even wakes after loading origin for some reason lol. But when toggling volume just make sure it is set as default device, and it will wake up no problems after startup or after sleep when moving volume slider.

I'm still gonna keep it and just hope no chinese or nsa spies or russian hackers have special firmware to spy on me :) Or if they do screw em...lol

Associate
Just purchased one of these and have very low volume when playing pubg, however when using it for BFV it sounds great, only need it at 60 volume.
Have checked the firmware and it is already up to date. Set the device up as recommended using 7.1, enabling the speakers as default etc, but the sound is really low in Pubg.

Using Sennheiser HD 555 headphones. Any ideas?

Soldato
OP
Just purchased one of these and have very low volume when playing pubg, however when using it for BFV it sounds great, only need it at 60 volume.
Have checked the firmware and it is already up to date. Set the device up as recommended using 7.1, enabling the speakers as default etc, but the sound is really low in Pubg.

Using Sennheiser HD 555 headphones. Any ideas?

Am really not sure what is happening here. I played PUBG a lot couple months back and it was fine. I not played it recently so not sure if its broken since.

Back
Top Bottom