Sennheiser gsx 1000 thread?

Soldato
GSX1000 isn't really any use for anything other than easy to drive headphones, such as Sennheiser's headsets and HD5** headphones. Output is too weedy for headphones that need a good amp.

Someone tried using an external amp connected to the GSX to provide extra power for AKG K712 headphones, which need a good amp. The result wasn't good.

I'm somewhat confused why you'd be looking at the GSX anyway, if you aren't particularly bothered about positional surround sound effects. That is the only reason to buy it; but even then, it's not good value when Creative's E5/G5 etc is cheaper and offers a much more powerful headphone amp for a greater choice of headphone use.

Last edited:
Soldato
GSX1000 isn't really any use for anything other than easy to drive headphones, such as Sennheiser's headsets and HD5** headphones. Output is too weedy for headphones that need a good amp.

Someone tried using an external amp connected to the GSX to provide extra power for AKG K712 headphones, which need a good amp. The result wasn't good.

I'm somewhat confused why you'd be looking at the GSX anyway, if you aren't particularly bothered about positional surround sound effects. That is the only reason to buy it; but even then, it's not good value when Creative's E5/G5 etc is cheaper and offers a much more powerful headphone amp for a greater choice of headphone use.

Wouldn't be looking to go new - I've been looking into getting a refurbished unit or second hand one :)

I'm generally not keen on the design of the G5, as it seems more of a portable unit over a desk unit - the volume wheel looks like it's going to be fiddly to turn if the unit is sat on the desk.

May seem daft, but I can't stand fiddly/poorly designed things. The GSX 1000 seems well thought out, with all inputs/outputs on the back, making for a very clean setup.

Soldato
Wouldn't be looking to go new - I've been looking into getting a refurbished unit or second hand one :)

I'm generally not keen on the design of the G5, as it seems more of a portable unit over a desk unit - the volume wheel looks like it's going to be fiddly to turn if the unit is sat on the desk.

May seem daft, but I can't stand fiddly/poorly designed things.
Have trouble in seeing even refurb/second hand prices lower than Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1.
That should have plenty big enough volume knob to find blindfolded.

Anyway don't you have volume knob in keyboard?
With hands usually on keyboard and mouse that's the most natural place for quick volume control.

But extreme overpricing for low end hardware is okay?
(I'm sure corporations love that...)

Soldato
Have trouble in seeing even refurb/second hand prices lower than Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1.
That should have plenty big enough volume knob to find blindfolded.

Anyway don't you have volume knob in keyboard?
With hands usually on keyboard and mouse that's the most natural place for quick volume control.

But extreme overpricing for low end hardware is okay?
(I'm sure corporations love that...)

Good point about volume on the keyboard :)

Wasn't about the size of the volume wheel, but the placement of it i.e. the fact the unit sits flush on the desk

Soldato
OP
Thanks to a guy called Meat Wad on Youtube for the heads up.
Firmware update released couple months ago. To update download the Sennheiser gaming updated, run the software I needed to then update the software for it to show the GSX has compatible. the new firmware will show up release notes below with link to updater.
https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/gaming-downloads
Sennheiser GSX 1000
Release Note

Date: 14-02-2018
Version: 5.23.37.0.808

Change Log

New Features:
• Added Support for tournament mode.
o Volume wheel on side can mute communication while tournament mode is active.

Changes and Bug fixes:
• Fixed an issue with start up on USB 3.0
• Microphone has been retuned for improved performance.
• Improved audio performance in 7.1 mode.
• Optimized signal to noise ratio on side-tone (microphone).
• Fixed an issue with mute function on windows 10.

Associate
Firmware update released couple months ago. To update download the Sennheiser gaming updated, run the software I needed to then update the software for it to show the GSX has compatible. the new firmware will show up release notes below with link to updater.
Sennheiser GSX 1000
Release Note

Change Log

New Features:

Changes and Bug fixes:

Thanks for the heads up mate :)

Firmware update.

Best

Wulf

X82

X82

Associate
Hope I'm not too late to this party.

I'm seriously considering getting the GSX 1000, but I have read multiple threads about the mic quality being poor at best.
I'm currently using a Sennheiser Game zero with my on-board sound, yeah I know.

Mic quality is very important to me, I'm not going to spend nearly £200 on a device and have to resort to 3rd party means to make the mic sound decent.
Can anyone confirm that the mic on this is good? (Ideally a Game Zero user too!)

Associate
Sennheiser GSX 1000
Release Note

Change Log

New Features:

Changes and Bug fixes:

Have you noticed any real improvements?

Soldato
Great, I get a USB disconnect sound also when entering windows, when I hear this and I check it's gone back to stereo, though it will boot with 7.1 for about 10 seconds until the sound chimes.

So do you put 7.1 back on everytime you want to use the GSX?

Back
Top Bottom