Who says aio cooling is crap?

Associate
Currently using a id cooling frost flow 280 to cool my 8700k @ 5ghz 1.33v AVX Offset 0 will go higher but so do temps
ambient 22c. Idle 27
Prime temps non avx 60 - 65 C
Prime temps avx 65 - 74
Small ftts

Aio 240 (36 MM)and g12 kit from OCUK on a Evga 2080 RTX Black 2100 core 8000 mem

Idle 27C - 30C
100% load 40c crept up to 44C after a couple of hours gaming had to check afterburner loads of times to make sure i was not seeing things

Any one else using AIO to cool both?
What sort of temps are you getting?

Soldato
I have a Corsair H105 on my 2600k @ 4.8GHz, full stress tests are 68-70ish. Gaming around 60c. Very impressed with it, plus with the radiator being in the roof of the case, all the CPU heat is dumped straight outside of the case.

Soldato
I have a Corsair H80i v2 on my 2600k that runs at 4.6GHz. Idle around 35c and gaming around 60 - 70c. I have the fans set very low unless the temps get over 80c which they never do. My voltage is at 1.4v and my case is a Fractal Design R5

Associate
OP
Quit impressed with these units what with the naysayers going on about full custom loops. Well already did that spend loads every up grade for what money down drain u never get much resale value out of them

Plus im getting better results with aio's at a quarter of the cost.

Only gripe is they could use a better coolant than they do but will fix that in the future thinking drill and tap a fill/bleed port

Associate
I use a Corsair H100 V2 on my CPU and get great temps, I am tempted to use an AIO on my GPU but since I have it mounted vertically it will look terrible in comparison

Soldato
Currently using a id cooling frost flow 280 to cool my 8700k @ 5ghz 1.33v AVX Offset 0 will go higher but so do temps
ambient 22c. Idle 27
Prime temps non avx 60 - 65 C
Prime temps avx 65 - 74
Small ftts

Aio 240 (36 MM)and g12 kit from OCUK on a Evga 2080 RTX Black 2100 core 8000 mem

Idle 27C - 30C
100% load 40c crept up to 44C after a couple of hours gaming had to check afterburner loads of times to make sure i was not seeing things

Good temps for sure. Who makes Frostflow for ID Cooling? ID Cooling say pump has a flowrate of 95 L/h which is more than 50% more than most other CLC pumps flowrates being 40-61 L/h.

Actually it's a CLC which is a sub-group of AIO .. and there are only a couple AIOs that are not CLCs.

Associate

Using AIO's on all my systems

ID cooling 280 on an R5 2600 stock - couldn't tell you the temps as I don't check them as its my kids computer. It isn't as good as my cryorig A40 ultimate though by 4-5C.

Cryorig A40 ultimate on an R7 1700 runnning 1.325v. using arctic P12 fans runs around 35-40c when gaming @ 600ish rpm

asetek 570 on my MSI gaming X 480 (580 bios). 45-50c with the pump at 80% and the fans @ 630rpm using arctic p12 fans

Associate
OP
Id cooling cheap but quality. Then u get things like that asus monstrosity. They want how much? Crack heads for sure.

Not sure who makes the frost flow but hat off to them they have made a product that just works right.

So glad i gave it a try look forward to thier future releases

Soldato
It all comes down to the fact a well setup air cooled system performs very close to that of a custom loop for a fraction the price and with a fraction of the maintenance. I've been at this sense custom water cooler components were all custom. We made our own waterblocks, used pond pumps and automotive radiators. When heatpipe coolers came out they revolutionized air cooler and within a few years I had moved from custom loops to heatpipe air cooling and have pretty much not looked back .. although I do have and am using a be quiet! Silent Loop every sense they came out and have topped it up after about 8 months, then flushed and changed coolant after about 16 months and it's running cool and quiet still.

Soldato
Well the two Aio's i have are pretty quite no louder than when i was running custom loop

Even with all fans at their slowest still cant hear them
I assume you mean you can't hear pumps with fans at idle? How close to pump is your ear? At 3+ feet from case many CLC pumps are inaudible or barely audible as long as no air is moving through system.

My be quiet! Silent Loop is quiet, inaudible unless ear is like 6" away. But it's an AIO so not the same as CLCs which are a sub-group of AIOs. AIOs not CLCs are better quality, but still not near as good as mid-level custom loop components.

Most CLCs are made by Asetek who now say they are up to 4th generation of pumps, but as they don't publish any pump performance specs and cold plates all look the same,what if any performance differences is there between older and newer gens? Are there any real differences or are the changes mostly cosmetic?

These pumps' flowrates are very low, like about as fast as a health adult can urinate. And the total volume of coolant is amazingly small, like half a cup.

I've tried to find more info about CLC pumps and there's not much available.
Below are some links to what I have found about different generations by reviewers who have disassembled Asetek's different Gen pumps and other CLC pumps too:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2539-taking-apart-an-evga-hybrid-liquid-cooler
https://vicyofreetime.wordpress.com/2015/09/21/whats-inside-the-asetek-4th-gen-aio-block/
https://www.chiploco.com/asetek-releases-4th-generation-of-patent-all-in-one-liquid-coolers-18228/

Quick search finds no disassembled Asetek Gen 5, but did find some talk of Gen 6 which I know n

There is also a rectangular based pump on Hydro Series H5
http://www.frostytech.com/permalink.cfm?NewsID=121667

Here's link to 2013 roundup of several pumps. While most are Asetek some are other OEM but almost identical design.
https://www.legitreviews.com/120mm-water-cooler-round-up-part-2-looking-inside_129601/8

I'm hoping AsetekDennis can convince Asetek to publish their pump performance specs.

Associate
But it's an AIO so not the same as CLCs which are a sub-group of AIOs. AIOs not CLCs are better quality, but still not near as good as mid-level custom loop components.

That isn't relevant to the pump noise. The only difference between an AIO and a CLC is the ability to refill. The ability to refill not does not affect the pump.

can you try and keep your replies on topic thanks.

Soldato
This is my first AIO (Nepton 240m) and it's been great.

I know some would call it a CLC and not an AIO but I don't see the point in splitting hairs.

120 l/hr flow rate.
Inaudible pump (even with fans at idle speeds).
Great temps (my overclocked CPU - a 4690k at 4.6GHz, 1.3v - rarely goes over 60C no matter what and usually sits in the low-mid 40's when gaming).
Great case airflow (rad fans are installed as exhaust fans so no need for extra case fans which cuts down noise).
5 year warranty.

What's not to like?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom