Open University degrees

Associate
I've been thinking for quite some time about changing career partly or at least get myself a good qualification. Now I've found a Degree that I'm really interested which is available on both Open University and other universities. The problem I have is that I can't financially afford to leave work and go to uni full time which makes the OU very interesting.

I know some people here have done part-time education at the OU and my main question is how is a education/degree from them in the eyes of employers compared to a traditional university?

I've talked with a couple of my friends who have trained within the thought area and on Thursday I will meet up with one of my friends who did go on to do a Masters in the subject to go through more options with the possible career and pathways etc, but I wanted to ask for more opinions in regards of the OU compared to standard universities.

Man of Honour
OU is a respected institution and in some ways the typical learning style will resonate more with employers than a traditional university i.e. people will have got off their arse and studied off their own bat alongside work unlike the ubiquitous degrees people pick up from bricks and mortar unis nowadays where doing a degree is just the 'easy option' rather than entering the workforce.

For background I have a BSc from a Russell Group uni and MSc from OU and the OU qualification is probably of more value nowadays.

Associate
OP
That sounds very good. The OU deegree (Bsc) I'm looking to do is a step away from I'm doing now but it is in the same generic field. Someone told me there is other ways to do what I'm planning to do without getting a degree but I'm thinking that with a degree it will be better if I want to try use it abroad at a later stage as well. Even though sometimes I find it very hard to be able to compare the different trainings available and the actual knowledge you are supposed to get or have from them.

Soldato
The only downside with the OU really is time. It typically takes 6-8 years to do an OU degree, during which you've got to remain motivated, willing to dedicate evenings/weekends to study as needed. That's likely part of the reason for their value; you've got to be incredibly committed to see it through. With a regular, full-time degree, not so much.

Soldato
I did an OU degree in Computer Science. With my background, i was able to complete the degree in a little under 2 years and attained a BSC(Hons) First. That sounds great and adding that qual to my CV and Linkedin has gained a lot more interest, however, although i learned some, i really feel i just skimmed the surface of some of the areas.

I was running 2 modules at once and doing a couple of hours a week and a full Sunday (also had to do 2 x 1 week residential).

Associate
I've almost completed my degree with the OU and I've already had success in securing employment which would traditionally require a degree (although experience has also contributed to this).

One negative is that it can be hard going when studying part of a module that you're not as interested in or find difficult, as generally you'll only be studying one or two modules at a time and it can feel like a massive hurdle to overcome. I found that self-learning other bits and pieces on top kept me in the right frame of mind while allowing me to take a break from the module.

Quite a few reputable universities are starting to introduce distance learning so it's definitely worth looking around, especially as the OU is starting to 'streamline' their module options, particularly in science (and the lack of books in some modules is annoying).

Associate
OP
Thanks for all your replies. I currently work as a Health Care Assistance in the NHS but have lost interest in going forwards with training to become a Registered Nurse even though I would get that training funded while working at the hospital. I'm at the moment very interested in doing a Degree in Sports Science through the OU as I've for a long long time been interested in working more sports related. I'm also looking into courses for sports massage as well. I've been tempted to look into something computer related but I have no experience from coding/programing so have put that on hold.

Soldato
Thanks for all your replies. I currently work as a Health Care Assistance in the NHS but have lost interest in going forwards with training to become a Registered Nurse even though I would get that training funded while working at the hospital. I'm at the moment very interested in doing a Degree in Sports Science through the OU as I've for a long long time been interested in working more sports related. I'm also looking into courses for sports massage as well. I've been tempted to look into something computer related but I have no experience from coding/programing so have put that on hold.

You don't need to, doesn't stop those fresh out of college doing an Computer Science degree yet all the know is how to post on Facebook and Instagram.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am working full time in the Armed Forces and studying full time towards a Computing and IT BSc with the OU.

Don't do this. Do it part time. I have no free time whatsoever and my time is dedicated towards work and the degree. It has put a strain on my family and myself. I am just over half way through at 1.5 years.

However, this is self inflicted. I am doing it for a better future for me and my family as quickly as possible, which fortunately my Wife understands.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I did distance learning qualifications whilst in full time education. It’s hard, but if you are committed it’s worth it.

Soldato
I am working full time in the Armed Forces and studying full time towards a Computing and IT BSc with the OU.

Don't do this. Do it part time. I have no free time whatsoever and my time is dedicated towards work and the degree. It has put a strain on my family and myself. I am just over half way through at 1.5 years.

However, this is self inflicted. I am doing it for a better future for me and my family as quickly as possible, which fortunately my Wife understands.

Are you using an ELC or SLC towards this? I've started this course recently (at a much slower pace though) and trying to find out if I can use these in the future.

Soldato
Are you using an ELC or SLC towards this? I've started this course recently (at a much slower pace though) and trying to find out if I can use these in the future.

ELC - I have done nearly 10 years so I get £2000 per year for serving over 8 years (total of £6000 towards the degree). If you have done lower, I believe it is £1000.

You can only use the ELC if you do not already have a degree. Happy to help if you need it though!

Soldato
I'm really considering doing a maths or physics course with the OU. I really want to improve my education and doing it via distance learning seems like the best way to do it.

Soldato
Just found this thread, my background is mechanical engineering so thats what I'd be going for. I've got a hnc which I believe will enable me to skip the first year (need to fill a form in). I'm quite nervous about starting something new though as I lay did education in 2006 (and also there's a 16 year limit for qualifications to be counted, which I don't understand and seems stupid). Seeing as both me and my wife work, I'd guess I won't get anything towards it :(.

Associate
It's normal to feel nervous but the great thing about the OU is you get all your material sent to you so can go back whenever you want to look up information. The timescales are reasonable provided that you don't take on too many modules at once. You should drop into level 2 which on a 6 year course is starting at year 3.

Soldato
It's normal to feel nervous but the great thing about the OU is you get all your material sent to you so can go back whenever you want to look up information. The timescales are reasonable provided that you don't take on too many modules at once. You should drop into level 2 which on a 6 year course is starting at year 3.
Thats what i though, however i just don't get the 16 year thing, how can a course expire?

Associate
Thats what i though, however i just don't get the 16 year thing, how can a course expire?

Generally after a period of time it doesn't count towards accreditation. To be fair 16 years is a long time to complete a degree - if it takes you that long i don't think you are really that bothered about a degree.

Be careful what pathway you choose as some are not accredited pathways by engineering institutions such as the Imeche. Not a problem mostly but means if they are you'll be able to jump straight to an incorperated engineer with the material you have done throughput the course and so less effort in registration. It's worth speaking to student support to discuss which pathway is best for what you wish to do.

They have just opened a mechanical engineering pathway too which i believe will start in a year or so - won't be accredited straight away but I have no doubt that it will be once the imeche go through it as my course is accredited and i doubt they'll open a new pathway that is worse than previous or current

Soldato
Generally after a period of time it doesn't count towards accreditation. To be fair 16 years is a long time to complete a degree - if it takes you that long i don't think you are really that bothered about a degree.

Be careful what pathway you choose as some are not accredited pathways by engineering institutions such as the Imeche. Not a problem mostly but means if they are you'll be able to jump straight to an incorperated engineer with the material you have done throughput the course and so less effort in registration. It's worth speaking to student support to discuss which pathway is best for what you wish to do.

They have just opened a mechanical engineering pathway too which i believe will start in a year or so - won't be accredited straight away but I have no doubt that it will be once the imeche go through it as my course is accredited and i doubt they'll open a new pathway that is worse than previous or current
Maybe it's crossed wires here but I did my hnc at college on day release while working, it's not as though I took a gap year. Also the way I'm reading (and I could be wrong) but for instance if you had an bsc and wanted to top up to a masterm through the OU, you would only have 16 years to do that. That says to me that they are putting a limit on how long you qualification last which I can't get my head around (I realise it shouldn't affect me), which doesn't make sense as a degree should last forever, it's not as though you get one in you 20s and when you hit 40 you have to redo it all. I hope that makes sense as to what I'm trying to get across.

Associate
A degree does last forever but in the space of 16 years engineering will have changed. A course today wont be as relevent in 16 years. If you do a masters you have to do continuous professional development (CPD) each year anyways after you complete it.

It used to be 10 or 12 years and only recently changed to 16 and is highlighted at the OU because it could potentially take that long I don't think many other university's offer that sort of gap.

It won't affect you as level 2 and 3 are the graded modules at BEng and obviously a masters level if you go down that route.

To be fair who will remember something they learnt 16 years ago if they never apply it - not many. You need to complete a masters within 4 years of a BEng too which makes sense as I expect you'll need to be on the ball in termsof what you should know prior.

Modules do expire after so many years. The modules i did are no longer available. People do integrated maths in the engineering modules now rather than pure maths modules like I did so the course will no longer be aligned to when you first started.

Back
Top Bottom