Open University degrees

Soldato
One last question and this is going to sound stupid i know. I have to send in an original of my certificate, if it gets lost is it possible to replace it from the college i studied at, or is it easier just to get a signed copy sent?

Associate
I wouldn't send anything original in. They should be able to contact the relevant people to confirm legitimacy from the name and codes on the certificate?

Soldato
I quite enjoyed doing my OU Degree (BA (Hons) Business Studies) - 2:1
There were moments where it drove me mad, had I done the Level 1 module I completed last, first - I'm not sure I'd have gone back for more.
Many sleepless nights and getting assignments in very close to the deadline. I also had to sit 3 exams for various modules as well - I "course work" very well, I don't "exam" so well - but still got what I needed.
Due to personal circumstances, one year passed when I was unable to complete any modules - but once I got so far there was no way I wasn't completing it.

Soldato
So just a quick update, I sent off my hnc and they've given me the full 120 points for it, now I just need to decide of which courses I want to do. I'm looking at one of the maths but it mentions normally having completed a lower level maths module which I've obviously not done but I did do maths at college. Will that be enough? I'm going to message them later as the website was cracking when I last checked.

Caporegime
I'm looking at one of the maths but it mentions normally having completed a lower level maths module which I've obviously not done but I did do maths at college. Will that be enough? I'm going to message them later as the website was cracking when I last checked.

Why not take a look at the syllabus etc.. if you can get hold of some past exam papers then even better.

I mean no one else is going to be able to tell you this, assuming you're allowed to skip whatever modules are requires at 1st year then only you know how much you remember or have forgotten and/or what you might need to work on to fill in any gaps etc...

AFAIK the OU's 1st year is mostly basically a mix of GCSE revision + A-level. I think they aim to bridge the gap in second year and by third year you'll be studying stuff equivalent to third year at a regular university.

I'd suspect that if you've done well at A-Level maths (especially if you've done further maths) then you might well be OK, albeit you might need to check for anything that wasn't covered when you last studied at college and indeed go over anything you've forgotten since then.

Just going over calculus using say this site would probably be helpful"

https://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

Associate
Which maths module is it you are doing?

I covered calculus, taylor series and imaginary numbers on my level one modules but my level 2 have been easier to be fair and I've yet to use any of it

Caporegime
I covered calculus, taylor series and imaginary numbers on my level one modules but my level 2 have been easier to be fair and I've yet to use any of it

Can you link to the syllabus of these modules out of interest? The maths modules don't involve or make use of any knowledge of calculus in "level 2"?

Associate
Can you link to the syllabus of these modules out of interest? The maths modules don't involve or make use of any knowledge of calculus in "level 2"?

My level 2 (HND) are not maths based that was the point. I did all my maths in level one (HNC).

To continue with maths modules I would have to go down a statistical pathway which meant I would have had to complete another harder maths module at level 1 MST125 but I stopped at MST124 as I chose an easier maths module to begin with as my maths was terrible at the time and wasn't confident to dive straight into MST124.

My level 2 modules have consisted of T217, T218 and T207, which I have no link but you can download past exams here to get an idea of what was studied which actually went into calculations but basic formulas that if you know algebra were easy. I've yet to come across using any calculus, and any I've seen in a book are on the basis of follow if you wish though not necessary; although I am on the design pathway though most are still essential modules I only get to change 1.

Most of my modules are end of life so have or are changing now but I can't see them deviating too much. It is probably best to contact student support and ask what type of maths you will be expected to know but if you can grasp maths then generally you'll be okay, as you get examples and everything is generally explained like its your first time coming across it regardless of if you've studied bits on past modules. The good thing about the OU is you read books, if you get stuck you can stop and research or ask in the forums if you really have to - you don't have to try and keep up with a lecturer and get lost.

Caporegime
My level 2 (HND) are not maths based that was the point. I did all my maths in level one (HNC).
[...]

Ah ok that explains it then... the other poster seemingly is looking to take maths modules and is asking about them in relation to potentially skipping level 1 I think... that's why I was a bit baffled by your reply that you'd not used any of the maths from level 1 in your level 2 modules! :)

Soldato
I'm looking at MST224, S217 however just logging in to choose models only T272 is clickable. Do i need to do that first before picking any other modules?

Edit just released my schoolboy error, T272 starts 19th march (or at least thats when enrolment ends), all the others start october so i guess they are unselectable until the current semester has finished. I'm hoping i don't have to resend in my info for credit transfer for then lol.

Associate
Ah ok that explains it then... the other poster seemingly is looking to take maths modules and is asking about them in relation to potentially skipping level 1 I think... that's why I was a bit baffled by your reply that you'd not used any of the maths from level 1 in your level 2 modules! :)

I thought he was going for an Engineering degree my apologies. To go down a Maths orientated pathway in engineering you were advised to do MST125 as it builds from that, so I would say if you feel rusty and lack skills in areas of maths then the maths pathway would be a hard choice to go down.

Associate
I'm looking at MST224, S217 however just logging in to choose models only T272 is clickable. Do i need to do that first before picking any other modules?

Edit just released my schoolboy error, T272 starts 19th march (or at least thats when enrolment ends), all the others start october so i guess they are unselectable until the current semester has finished. I'm hoping i don't have to resend in my info for credit transfer for then lol.

Yeah, you need to keep an eye on when modules start and plan around which to choose from that as you could end up with breaks or overlaps in your study. You generally start modules in February or September/October

Soldato
Yea, the only thing is do you have to do the previous modules, i'm pretty good with maths and quite fortunately i work in the laser industry and am surrounded by drs and a few other degree holders who have offered me help should i need it.

Caporegime
Yea, the only thing is do you have to do the previous modules

Surely that is for the university to answer - you say they've let you transfer 120 credits, is that with this specific degree in mind? As in they're letting you substitute previous study in place of whatever 1st year modules you'd need to take otherwise?

Or are you asking from your own perspective - in which case surely that is for you to answer: Why not take a look at the syllabus etc.. if you can get hold of some past exam papers then even better.

Have you taken a look at the syllabus of the modules you'd be skipping/replacing? Can you get hold of past exam papers etc..?

If you can skip those modules then it is surely just down to you to take a look and be honest with yourself - do you already know this stuff or most of this stuff? Could you quite easily catch up/revise the stuff you're not so familiar with? If so then it makes sense to not blow more money on tuition fees and waste another year or two (I presume as it is part time) taking 120 credits of courses you don't necessarily need.

Caporegime
@theone8181 Thought I'd come back to this and post some stuff that you might find useful. Just looking at that module you mentioned - it seems to be a methods module focused on 1st and second order ODEs, multivariate calculus, linear algebra and an intro to PDEs.

It looks like there is a diagnostic quiz which you can find here:

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/Cours...on/Infographics/MST224_self-assessed-quiz.pdf

If you are able to skip the first year/120 credits and save yourself a few grand + a year or two of your time then given you've said that your maths ability is pretty decent and you'll have people to help and given that you've got some months to go yet then I'd say you've got plenty of time to refresh your knowledge from college and or fill in any gaps (since the syllabus of the level 1 modules the other poster mentioned basically cover not much more than a-level stuff anyway and some of the stuff covered isn't necessary for the module you're aiming to study).

There are plenty of resources out there to both help you get up to speed and fill in any gaps and of course stuff that would compliment what you'd be studying in that module too, the below book starts at A-Level and as the title suggests covers pretty much all the maths needed for the typical engineering, physics etc.. degree:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mathematical-Methods-Physics-Engineering-Comprehensive/dp/0521679710
(there is a solutions manual available too)

If it is just revision you're after then you could use the first few chapters of the above book to get up to speed and use the rest as complimentary material to look through when taking the course, it actually covers a fair bit more than the module you're aiming to take and so is good reference to have for engineering mathematics in general. It is quite concise/brief if you're using it for stuff you've never encountered - this isn't necessarily a problem if you're going to spend time working through the problems etc.. though if you want a bit more explanation etc.. then check out the below links.

You might also want to take a look at MIT open courseware which contains video lectures and notes/problem sheets etc... for example these courses would be useful:

This course for revision before you start the module
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-01sc-single-variable-calculus-fall-2010/

These courses overlap a lot of the content and perhaps cover a little bit more of these topics... maybe useful if you want to watch some additional lectures rather than reading a book etc.. Gilbert Strang's linear algebra course is decent:
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-02sc-multivariable-calculus-fall-2010/
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-03sc-differential-equations-fall-2011/
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-06sc-linear-algebra-fall-2011/syllabus/

Also if you want more practice (never a bad thing with maths) then the Schaum's outlines series of books are cheap and contain a load of problems for you to work through, might as well grab some covering calculus, differential equations, linear algebra etc.. for example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Schaums-Outline-Calculus-6th-Outlines/dp/0071795537/ref=asc_df_0071795537/ etc..

Last edited:
Soldato
@theone8181 Thought I'd come back to this and post some stuff that you might find useful. Just looking at that module you mentioned - it seems to be a methods module focused on 1st and second order ODEs, multivariate calculus, linear algebra and an intro to PDEs.

It looks like there is a diagnostic quiz which you can find here:

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/Cours...on/Infographics/MST224_self-assessed-quiz.pdf

If you are able to skip the first year/120 credits and save yourself a few grand + a year or two of your time then given you've said that your maths ability is pretty decent and you'll have people to help and given that you've got some months to go yet then I'd say you've got plenty of time to refresh your knowledge from college and or fill in any gaps (since the syllabus of the level 1 modules the other poster mentioned basically cover not much more than a-level stuff anyway and some of the stuff covered isn't necessary for the module you're aiming to study).

There are plenty of resources out there to both help you get up to speed and fill in any gaps and of course stuff that would compliment what you'd be studying in that module too, the below book starts at A-Level and as the title suggests covers pretty much all the maths needed for the typical engineering, physics etc.. degree:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mathematical-Methods-Physics-Engineering-Comprehensive/dp/0521679710
(there is a solutions manual available too)

If it is just revision you're after then you could use the first few chapters of the above book to get up to speed and use the rest as complimentary material to look through when taking the course, it actually covers a fair bit more than the module you're aiming to take and so is good reference to have for engineering mathematics in general. It is quite concise/brief if you're using it for stuff you've never encountered - this isn't necessarily a problem if you're going to spend time working through the problems etc.. though if you want a bit more explanation etc.. then check out the below links.

You might also want to take a look at MIT open courseware which contains video lectures and notes/problem sheets etc... for example these courses would be useful:

This course for revision before you start the module
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-01sc-single-variable-calculus-fall-2010/

These courses overlap a lot of the content and perhaps cover a little bit more of these topics... maybe useful if you want to watch some additional lectures rather than reading a book etc.. Gilbert Strang's linear algebra course is decent:
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-02sc-multivariable-calculus-fall-2010/
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-03sc-differential-equations-fall-2011/
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-06sc-linear-algebra-fall-2011/syllabus/

Also if you want more practice (never a bad thing with maths) then the Schaum's outlines series of books are cheap and contain a load of problems for you to work through, might as well grab some covering calculus, differential equations, linear algebra etc.. for example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Schaums-Outline-Calculus-6th-Outlines/dp/0071795537/ref=asc_df_0071795537/ etc..
Cheers, having a look through the 1st link, a lot of it seems relatively straightforward, but I guess that all maths is once you've got you head around the equations.

Soldato
So just a quick update, I've been allowed to start at level 2. The problem is several maths options are greyed out due to not doing the level 1 versions (and I can't select the level 1 versions). I've applied to be allowed to do some of them without the prerequisites however if I'm not allowed, I'm thinking of doing core engineering a and b and physics. Is that a Wierd combination of will it be OK? I figure that they are kind of related.

Soldato
ELC - I have done nearly 10 years so I get £2000 per year for serving over 8 years (total of £6000 towards the degree). If you have done lower, I believe it is £1000.

You can only use the ELC if you do not already have a degree. Happy to help if you need it though!

Thanks, this would be a second degree so no chance of funding from them, plus still a year short under the newer rules for ELC.

I'm aiming to do 60 credits a year, starting with MU123 (30 credits over 6 months) for a Comp & IT BSc.

Soldato
Thanks, this would be a second degree so no chance of funding from them, plus still a year short under the newer rules for ELC.

I'm aiming to do 60 credits a year, starting with MU123 (30 credits over 6 months) for a Comp & IT BSc.

Yea unfortunately, it is only if you don't already have a degree. I think you can still use your SLCs though?

Well good luck to you - MU123 is quite hard, but for the first year you only have to pass 40% and doesn't contribute to your final score.

Back
Top Bottom