Time to switch to console gaming :)

Soldato
Not getting the TV till later in the year as we're buying a house, but I can't wait to have it. Just doing lots of research and this TV is what I came up with thanks to reviews. By then it might come down a little but £1500 is the max I'll pay for it.
Only watched the first episode so I'll hang on I think.

Caporegime
Not getting the TV till later in the year as we're buying a house, but I can't wait to have it. Just doing lots of research and this TV is what I came up with thanks to reviews. By then it might come down a little but £1500 is the max I'll pay for it.
Only watched the first episode so I'll hang on I think.

i believe they are still keeping it or something i read on avforums as part of their 2019 rage. the XG range I don't know if they have a 90 or not I can't remember. so look up what is happebning with the 2019 range. usually 3 months before the 2019 range launches the 2018 range goes EOL and they are heavily discounted. this is the best time to buy a TV. 3 months before the new range comes out. because supply dries up as soon as they get discounted. and manufacturers start production on the new sets around December time and the old range stops. so whatever is out there now is the last of them and they are now focusing on the new range.

new range usually launches around april/may. obviously these time scales aren't set in stone but that is usually how it all happens. the new range will usually be 50-100% more expensive then the old range when it goes EOL. so a 65" sony XG90 if there is such a model will be around £2200-£2500 i imagine at launch. maybe £2000 if you get lucky.

Soldato
Not too bothered about getting latest tech as like you said will be very expensive. The xf90 will still be an amazing TV to own and will be a huge improvement on my rubbish TV. I'll tell you how bad it is, when people say horizon zero dawn looks amazing, I'm rather perplexed as my TV doesn't do it justice. So I'm holding out on a lot of games until I get my TV.

Caporegime
Not too bothered about getting latest tech as like you said will be very expensive. The xf90 will still be an amazing TV to own and will be a huge improvement on my rubbish TV. I'll tell you how bad it is, when people say horizon zero dawn looks amazing, I'm rather perplexed as my TV doesn't do it justice. So I'm holding out on a lot of games until I get my TV.

the XF90 is amazing. altered carbon will show you how good it is. you will then be trying to find stuff which looks as good as altered carbon to enjoy the delights you witnessed whilst watching it.

the bit where he goes into town and buys drugs (first or second episode). the colours are insane on the tv. black levels outstanding due to FALD. very good HDR brightness. I was planning on using the tv purely for ps4 pro. but after watching altered carbon on it i went out and bought a YSP 2700 to enjoy more HDR/dolby vision goodness on it. it's in the games room already got a 4k LG HDR in the living room with full 5.1 system but i don't spend a lot of time in the living room.

Caporegime
Ysp 2700 that a sound bar. From reading the rting.com review you really do need a sound bar for it, would you say that's correct?

it's not just a soundbar it's THEEEE soundbar

built in sound is fine if you are used to built in sound. not as good as LG but still good for what it is.

my problem is I have a top of the range yamaha AVR, BK XXLS 400 sub and 5 very good monitor audio speakers in the living room. i also have the yamaha ysp 1400/1600 in the bedroom.

so once i decided i may start watching netflix in the games room. i needed to get the ysp 2700.

i'm a yamaha fanboy. samsung also make really good soundbars. my dad just bought the atmos samsung soundbar with wireless sub and rears for £1500 and it sounds amazing. i don't think it warranted the additional £800 over the YSP 2700. oh and I paid £250 for my YSP 2700 off gumtree but it retails for £500-£700. it was an OAP who was selling it because he was deaf and thought a soundbar would help he was selling to upgrade to seperates. however when i went over to collect it wasn't even powered on. so he had been using the tv speakers for the past 3-4 months (he bought it in august and i took it off him in december). rather than tell him of his mistake i said yes that is fine i'll take it. took it home and it was set to 50 (enough to blow up a house) i use it at around 20-25 now and it's loud at 30.

it's better off with me anyway he clearly didn't know how to work it. he had stuck it up for £350 and reduced it to £275 over the space of a week and said £250 was the lowest he would take. it's amazing nobody else snapped it up. they sell for £400 second hand on ebay and are much older. his was practically brand new. i handed him £200 and he miscounted it as £240 god knows how (probably has dementia) and asked for the tenner so I could have gotten it for £210. I told him to double check that as i didnt want to rob him twice lol. so i gave him the full £250 for it.

my mate paid full price for the same soundbar and he's happy with it. it can replace a full 5.1 system if you don't like wires it is that good. ideally you need to listen to one in a room set up to use them (bounces sound off walls).

Soldato
it's not just a soundbar it's THEEEE soundbar

built in sound is fine if you are used to built in sound. not as good as LG but still good for what it is.

my problem is I have a top of the range yamaha AVR, BK XXLS 400 sub and 5 very good monitor audio speakers in the living room. i also have the yamaha ysp 1400/1600 in the bedroom.

so once i decided i may start watching netflix in the games room. i needed to get the ysp 2700.

i'm a yamaha fanboy. samsung also make really good soundbars. my dad just bought the atmos samsung soundbar with wireless sub and rears for £1500 and it sounds amazing. i don't think it warranted the additional £800 over the YSP 2700. oh and I paid £250 for my YSP 2700 off gumtree but it retails for £500-£700. it was an OAP who was selling it because he was deaf and thought a soundbar would help he was selling to upgrade to seperates. however when i went over to collect it wasn't even powered on. so he had been using the tv speakers for the past 3-4 months (he bought it in august and i took it off him in december). rather than tell him of his mistake i said yes that is fine i'll take it. took it home and it was set to 50 (enough to blow up a house) i use it at around 20-25 now and it's loud at 30.

it's better off with me anyway he clearly didn't know how to work it. he had stuck it up for £350 and reduced it to £275 over the space of a week and said £250 was the lowest he would take. it's amazing nobody else snapped it up. they sell for £400 second hand on ebay and are much older. his was practically brand new. i handed him £200 and he miscounted it as £240 god knows how (probably has dementia) and asked for the tenner so I could have gotten it for £210. I told him to double check that as i didnt want to rob him twice lol. so i gave him the full £250 for it.

my mate paid full price for the same soundbar and he's happy with it. it can replace a full 5.1 system if you don't like wires it is that good. ideally you need to listen to one in a room set up to use them (bounces sound off walls).

Have the ysp 2700 as well, very good soundbar, I have it on about 20 at night and when watching a movie during the day about 30-35. There is a setting I have always wondered about, (dynamic range/ night time listening) or something like that, think I have it on, but always wondered if it should be off.

Yamaha have excellent support for this product, had the bar about 2 years and still get updates for it, the best one being the dolby vision passthrough. I also paid full price for this bar, but Im happy with it.

Caporegime
Have the ysp 2700 as well, very good soundbar, I have it on about 20 at night and when watching a movie during the day about 30-35. There is a setting I have always wondered about, (dynamic range/ night time listening) or something like that, think I have it on, but always wondered if it should be off.

Yamaha have excellent support for this product, had the bar about 2 years and still get updates for it, the best one being the dolby vision passthrough. I also paid full price for this bar, but Im happy with it.

Dynamic range should be off or on max. Basically it's to stop large changes in volume. An explosion will be "dumbed" down. So it removes impact it should only be used if someone is sleeping and you don't want to wake them

Soldato
Dynamic range should be off or on max. Basically it's to stop large changes in volume. An explosion will be "dumbed" down. So it removes impact it should only be used if someone is sleeping and you don't want to wake them

ah yes I have it on Max I believe, not sure its made much difference on max or off, as I listen at low volumes generally and never turned the volume that high for it to need to dumb down loud explosions.

Soldato
I'm in two minds on getting rid of my gaming pc, had one since early 00's. Moving house later this year been promised a 65" 4k TV to go with my PS4 pro.
Only games I would miss is total war series.

Anyone gone from a PC gamer to a console gamer and not regretted it. Quite like my graphics but surely a nice 65" 4k TV would still make games look pretty good.

I've made the switch a few times.

The way it usually works for me:

CA release a new Total War game that looks amazing. I get the Total War itch again and put whatever crappy tablet/laptop I have through the strain of playing some of the older games.

That doesn't scratch the itch. So I wind up building a mid-range gaming PC, grabbing the latest TW releases, and then proceed to put loads of playtime in to them over the following months. Then I get bored.

A year or so passes. My PC has barely been on. I decide to sell up.

Another year passes, and the loop repeats.

Last time round I made use of some old parts I had, bought a cheap mITX motherboard off eBay, an SG05 and an RX 480. When I got bored, GPU prices were at their height, so I flogged the GPU and just kept the rest (it's not worth much anyway).

A few weeks ago, I got the itch again. I picked up an RX 460 for £40. Graphics aren't pretty, but for TW games and a few older PC titles, that doesn't really bother me. The whole PC is worth so little that I'm unlikely to sell it this time. Problem solved? Maybe. But I suspect this graphics card won't handle new releases for long, even on the lowest settings.

I'm hoping the next generation of consoles brings a solution (probably from Microsoft) to the "PC Exclusive" annoyances. Maybe their streaming platform will handle PC games as well as Xbox ones?

Caporegime
I've made the switch a few times.

The way it usually works for me:

CA release a new Total War game that looks amazing. I get the Total War itch again and put whatever crappy tablet/laptop I have through the strain of playing some of the older games.

That doesn't scratch the itch. So I wind up building a mid-range gaming PC, grabbing the latest TW releases, and then proceed to put loads of playtime in to them over the following months. Then I get bored.

A year or so passes. My PC has barely been on. I decide to sell up.

Another year passes, and the loop repeats.

Last time round I made use of some old parts I had, bought a cheap mITX motherboard off eBay, an SG05 and an RX 480. When I got bored, GPU prices were at their height, so I flogged the GPU and just kept the rest (it's not worth much anyway).

A few weeks ago, I got the itch again. I picked up an RX 460 for £40. Graphics aren't pretty, but for TW games and a few older PC titles, that doesn't really bother me. The whole PC is worth so little that I'm unlikely to sell it this time. Problem solved? Maybe. But I suspect this graphics card won't handle new releases for long, even on the lowest settings.

I'm hoping the next generation of consoles brings a solution (probably from Microsoft) to the "PC Exclusive" annoyances. Maybe their streaming platform will handle PC games as well as Xbox ones?

If you spec the right parts a gaming pc can last 5-7 years easy.

Processors haven't evolved until recently but a 2500k overclocked will still play pretty much anything.

Buy a 1060 6gb for £100 second hand and that will do fine for 1080p gaming for a while.

Stay away from laptops because gaming on them is stupidly expensive plus laptops generally are crap for gaming due to small screen and crap keyboards

Soldato
If you spec the right parts a gaming pc can last 5-7 years easy.

Processors haven't evolved until recently but a 2500k overclocked will still play pretty much anything.

Buy a 1060 6gb for £100 second hand and that will do fine for 1080p gaming for a while.

Stay away from laptops because gaming on them is stupidly expensive plus laptops generally are crap for gaming due to small screen and crap keyboards

Yeah, I know this.

Point is, gaming PCs don't last 5-7 years in my house. I stop using them, I sell them, then I regret it a year later and build a new one :p

That's why I've spent as little as possible this time. I was on the lookout for a cheap 1050/Ti/1060/470/480 etc. for about a month. Seems to be two ways those "For Sale" threads go; either the price is realistic and the item sells within an hour of being posted, or the seller wants silly money because they bought at the height of the Crypto boom and aren't happy "losing" £150 on a 12 month old card. When the RX 460 came up for £40, I decided to stop mucking about and just buy it. It does what I need it to do, for now.

I'm still running an i5 2400. Performs perfectly okay for the money; when I had the RX 480 it would run any game I tried on high settings. Biggest impact was likely on minimum FPS. Probably worth keeping such a rig around rather than committing to give up PC gaming as a build like this wouldn't cost a lot.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I suspect the next Xbox will support mouse/keyboard/game pad on 100% of all games. They’ve already got the APIs to handle that stuff and I don’t see why devs can’t implement the same interface on Xbox if they have a PC version. Most games on PC seamlessly switch between inputs now even in mid-game with no quitting or rebooting.

Soldato
Still urge you to take a look at https://shadow.tech/gben/ if you want to PC game but not fork out on an expensive machine. I've been running it for over a month now and had no issues. Been playing CS:GO and resident Evil 2 remake on my 4k tv. As long as you got fairly decent internet and some form of device to run it off (can be any cheap thing though), then you basically have a high end machine for £26.99 a month which over 5 years is £1619 (if looking at buying a machine our right you expect at least 5 years) and they will upgrade it well before then anyway.

Caporegime
Still urge you to take a look at https://shadow.tech/gben/ if you want to PC game but not fork out on an expensive machine. I've been running it for over a month now and had no issues. Been playing CS:GO and resident Evil 2 remake on my 4k tv. As long as you got fairly decent internet and some form of device to run it off (can be any cheap thing though), then you basically have a high end machine for £26.99 a month which over 5 years is £1619 (if looking at buying a machine our right you expect at least 5 years) and they will upgrade it well before then anyway.

how is lag on cs:go? ping?

Soldato
Ping is usually around 10-15, sometimes been lower, but you're on your own 1gbps down and 100mbps up.

Yes euro data center is Paris but doesn't seem to cause any issues. Playing in 144hz as well on oled tv. Plan to get a monitor soon though as loving single player games on the tv, fps online would prefer a smaller monitor.

Won't be for everyone, but its allowed me to play the more powerful games i cant on a switch and im happy with it.

DAVGBCOJ
Code that gets us both money off if you decide to try it but any q just hit me up

Soldato
Ping is usually around 10-15, sometimes been lower, but you're on your own 1gbps down and 100mbps up.

Yes euro data center is Paris but doesn't seem to cause any issues. Playing in 144hz as well on oled tv. Plan to get a monitor soon though as loving single player games on the tv, fps online would prefer a smaller monitor.

Won't be for everyone, but its allowed me to play the more powerful games i cant on a switch and im happy with it.

DAVGBCOJ
Code that gets us both money off if you decide to try it but any q just hit me up

I may look into this when the time comes - my i5 2500k & GTX590 still plays 1080p perfectly well, but having to set my lap desk up on the sofa, run the usb extension cables for KB&M then install the inevitable updates that occur in the 3 months between play sessions, mean it's nowhere near as quick and easy as picking up a console controller.

I've got the Xbone S, PS4 Pro & PSVR, Switch & Wii U in the Besta media cabinets, playing on my 65" HiSense - the PC is also in its own cabinet (which has three 140mm fans exhausting hot air out the back), but the 590 GTX seems to constantly run its fans on full.

I need to decide if I upgrade the GPU (980Ti or 1060 - haven't quite weighed them up) which should run cooler and quieter, or scrap the PC all together and commit to console gaming full time.

The Shadowbox cost means I'd need to subscribe for over 8 years before I reach the same financial outlay that my current PC cost - that's a long time for tech to evolve and knowing the cloud pc will keep up with those updates for the same monthly fee is pretty appealing.

What's the best value device to use to stream Shadowbox in 4k from?

Back
Top Bottom