Veganuary?

Caporegime
studies lol show me a study on the long term health effect of a 100% plant diet on homo sapiens?
if i have done the diet wrong then god help average joe blow with this nonsense that is being pushed mainstream..
4 years i followed this diet and i prolly only lasted that long because i was healthy to begin with.

i went into this endeavour for my long term health as i look after myself, i cycle to work, go to the gym etc so i am not adverse to tracking macro's.
got my fats from chia/flax seeds, coconut oil and avocados which are a joke here in the uk.
protein was from beans, lentils, tofu etc.
ate all the greens,veg and fruit,

a lot of time and effort went into making my meals, a foodie co-worker even used to take pics of my monster salads at work to put on instagram.
got to know the girls quite well at the local fruit n veg shop i was there that often.
ate a mixture of cooked veg and salads.
bought a dehydrator to make my own spinach and chia seed wraps.
sprouted my own seeds.

went on holidays to north africa as it lends well to vegan cuisine,
plus smoothies, protein shakes etc, i gave this diet a good go...
also used some supps including b12.

at the beginning i was feeling quite good had a lot of energy.
but then the decline came and it continued, i was losing strength and muscle even after i played around with the macro's.

i never felt satiated, man all that fiber... the toilet and i lol
the high carbs/sugar made my blood sugar a roller coaster ride and i became irritable.
my libido declined and oh my the brain fog... it was increasingly difficult to do life!

it came to the point where i had to have a word with myself and admit that i had been sold a dud and this diet is not healthy!

td;lr been there done that don't work!

Well we have to trust your diet was optimal and you really tried everything . under that assumption it is likely that you have some complications you might not be aware of maybe like a gluten or soy intolerance.

The simple fact is hundreds of millions.of people live by a vegan diet and largelydont have any issues you report, and statistically are.much healthier than meat eaters, live longer and have lower incidents of serious illness like cancer,heart disease and strokes.

I

Soldato
My Dr once told me that he sees a number of "vegans" and vitamin/nutrition deficiency related problems are pretty common in them. They think their diets are balanced and healthy because they convince themselves that they feel better. But find that actually they aren't when they start doing blood tests etc.

We aren't evolved to live on plants alone. Maybe we're heading in that direction but it's millions of years away (though we may equally be heading in the carnivorous direction).

Last edited:
Soldato
@ d.p have been eating things with gluten in before the plant diet just fine, and to suggest soy can cause those problems is a bit of a stretch..
who are these millions of healthy vegans, those stick thin people in india?
the fact you need to supplement on that diet suggests it's flawed.

Soldato
nasher, even on the vegan diet you have to take into account where all the produce i consumed came from, bananas and avocados from south america the chia seeds and quinoa was from that region

i've had grapes from south africa and chile, sweet potatoes from america
don't know where the coconut oil came from but you get the picture

Man of Honour
Meat eater: "Are you a vegan?"
Vegan: "Yes"
Meat eater: "Oh my god, here we go. We can't be friends." *Walks off*
It's ridiculous.

It's exactly the other way round in my world.
Meat eaters don't give a stuff but vegans will always let you know they are vegan as though they are better.
It's like the joke:
How do you know if you have a vegan in your party?
Don't worry, they will let you know.

Soldato
The Gaurdian > View to a cull: is grey squirrel the ultimate sustainable meat?

A London chef with a mind of his own has the internet in a furry flurry with news that he has put grey squirrel ragu on the menu. Ivan Tisdall-Downes, who runs Native in Borough Market, also does a delicate grey squirrel pie, with sweet pickled onion relish. One of the main selling points for this meaty option is that it is supposedly sustainable. As omnivorous customers increasingly look to environmentally friendly and wild sources of meat, game is attractive. And game that was going to be hunted and killed anyway, whether people wanted to eat it or not – such as the grey squirrel – is as good as it gets.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddr...e-sustainable-meat/ar-BBTaGIt?ocid=spartandhp

Chew on that, food for thought.

Its up to individual what he wants to eat, a vegan diet alone won't save the plant.

I eat more fish and chicken with rice or veg and fruit than red meat always have done since l left home.

The industrial world has to change but they are doing it to slow, the likes of Trump do not help.

Soldato
Vegetarian here, never stepped into the vegan zone but have no issues with those that do.

Some of you here though need to have a bit of a look at yourselves. To be so angry, egotistical and deluded over what others are doing is pretty sad. Especially when you use your pathetic experience as a massive generalization on how healthy something is (Pooley).

Soldato
Vegetarian here, never stepped into the vegan zone but have no issues with those that do.

Some of you here though need to have a bit of a look at yourselves. To be so angry, egotistical and deluded over what others are doing is pretty sad. Especially when you use your pathetic experience as a massive generalization on how healthy something is (Pooley).

big assumption you have there, you don't know me at all..
talk is cheap, try it for yourself for years and then come back to me and and see if you are still appealing to the 'vegan' ideology
homo sapiens need animal fat and proteins to function it is that simple!

Soldato
big assumption you have there, you don't know me at all..
talk is cheap, try it for yourself for years and then come back to me and and see if you are still appealing to the 'vegan' ideology
homo sapiens need animal fat and proteins to function it is that simple!
Well they dont. The millions walking around today perfectly fine disprove your theory.

Dont confuse ego eating with need,just because you desire a product doesnt mean you need it. That meat you eat is entirely driven by selfish needs nothing more.

Soldato
Well they dont. The millions walking around today perfectly fine disprove your theory.

Dont confuse ego eating with need,just because you desire a product doesnt mean you need it. That meat you eat is entirely driven by selfish needs nothing more.
You have zero 1st hand knowledge or experience on the subject matter, shown no evidence to back up your claim and yet you tell me about my selfish desires...

Soldato

To be fair, veganism is still very much a new diet choice, we don't have any conclusive proof whether its long term healthy or not. And most of the vegan food is as processed as non vegan food.

Eating anything mass produced be it veg or meat is selfish, they both have an impact to the environment, just because one is less than the other its still impacting the planet. Neither are sustainable in the long term.

Man of Honour
We clearly don’t need to eat meat. It’s just it’s very easy to ignore where it comes from, the harm it causes, and enjoy it.

I ate a meat pie just now and it was lovely.

But.... yeah, we don’t need meat.

Soldato
100% plant diet is a nutrient deficient diet even when supplemented, even nasher claims his doctor sees these deficiencies, you telling me is is lying?
people are saying it's healthy yet no mention of these foods are high in oxalate's, phytic acid, nitrates and lectins.

go check out these vegan doctors who promote this nonsense they look terrible, thin a rake and malnourished and this diet is healthy!
veganism has been advertised hard for the past 18 month's or so with no long term evidence that it health promoting. smoking was the thing in the 40's and 50's and look how that turned out!

Caporegime
To be fair, veganism is still very much a new diet choice, we don't have any conclusive proof whether its long term healthy or not. And most of the vegan food is as processed as non vegan food.

Eating anything mass produced be it veg or meat is selfish, they both have an impact to the environment, just because one is less than the other its still impacting the planet. Neither are sustainable in the long term.

Only if you eat processed garbage. I dont; know any vegetarian or vegan that eats any pre-processed mass produced junk.

IU certainly don;t switch from processed meat to processed faker meat on my veggie days. I use tons of beans, lentils, fresh vegetables, nuts, seeds

Caporegime
@ d.p have been eating things with gluten in before the plant diet just fine, and to suggest soy can cause those problems is a bit of a stretch..
who are these millions of healthy vegans, those stick thin people in india?
the fact you need to supplement on that diet suggests it's flawed.

There are millions living in Europe, North America, Australia.

You also seem to be confusing thin with unhealthy. Humans are supposed to be thin, lean and athletic.

Caporegime
You have zero 1st hand knowledge or experience on the subject matter, shown no evidence to back up your claim and yet you tell me about my selfish desires...

You are also just postulation an anecdote. Whether I or other posters live by a vegan lifestyle for several years doesn't change the level of evidence.

Instead we can actually look at broad scientific studies and meta-analysis:

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/6/6/2131/htm
Vegetarian diets confer protection against cardiovascular diseases, cardiometabolic risk factors, some cancers and total mortality. Compared to lacto-ovo-vegetarian diets, vegan diets seem to offer additional protection for obesity, hypertension, type-2 diabetes, and cardiovascular mortality.

The same finding are found time and time again.

For the record, I am not proclaiming that we should all be vegan but the world would be a far better place if everyone limited meat consumption to one or twice a week. that in itself completely avoid any concerns over vitamin deficiencies

Caporegime
Only if you eat processed garbage. I dont; know any vegetarian or vegan that eats any pre-processed mass produced junk.

IU certainly don;t switch from processed meat to processed faker meat on my veggie days. I use tons of beans, lentils, fresh vegetables, nuts, seeds

Yo some of those fake "meats" are lit.

Soldato
You are also just postulation an anecdote. Whether I or other posters live by a vegan lifestyle for several years doesn't change the level of evidence.

Instead we can actually look at broad scientific studies and meta-analysis:

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/6/6/2131/htm

The same finding are found time and time again.

For the record, I am not proclaiming that we should all be vegan but the world would be a far better place if everyone limited meat consumption to one or twice a week. that in itself completely avoid any concerns over vitamin deficiencies

i agree the world would be a better place sans mass food production, plant or animal. you can find scientific studies to back any bias you like, plenty out there...
even in this thread nasher claims his doctor 'sees a number of "vegans" and vitamin/nutrition deficiency related problems are pretty common in them'

i agree a little meat consumption say from your local farmer butcher would be a far better option.

Back
Top Bottom