• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon VII

Soldato
Here in DK the 8gb rx 580 cost about the same as the rx 590. Roughly 20-30 pounds between the cheapest rx 580 and the sapphire nitro 590. I know which one i would pick.

And you'll get that extra £20-£30 back when you resell, I always buy a primo card, and I always get a great return on it. I got £93 for a Sapphire 380 Nitro in September, which I paid £164 2 1/2 years earlier.

Soldato
Just opened the retail box - and there is the card, and a small quick install guide. That's it. No adapters, cables, driver CD etc. Very bare bones? I got power cable adapters, video adaptors and a driver cd etc with 980ti. Is this how all cards are now?

All cards are that spartan today, only exception the Vega Nitro coming with scaffolding. Long gone the days of BFG supplying tshirts also.

Also you cannot use those power cables these days as all cards burn more power and need the proper ones coming from the PSU. As for adapters, dvi is dead.

Associate
Don't flame me but if anyone is still interested in either a Gigabyte or MSI Vega VII they are still available on another website that is right next door to Bolton Wanderers stadium. Both are available for £699. Just saying. I got my Vega 64 there on launch day.

Permabanned
Just opened the retail box - and there is the card, and a small quick install guide. That's it. No adapters, cables, driver CD etc. Very bare bones? I got power cable adapters, video adaptors and a driver cd etc with 980ti. Is this how all cards are now?

possibly

i dont require any cables, as my PSU does it all for me (and monitor of course)

Yep mines the same but it does have a driver CD. I guess that's what gigabyte are charging the extra £150 for :D

It would have been to have got the little connector caps and pcie protector after all it is a pricey card. Mine's a Sapphire and apart from the foam and plastic bag the gpu was in all it has is a generic how to install your gpu leaflet.

Soldato
What about their many successes and the fact that they managed to exceed Nvidia's market share at times?

Everyone has successes and follies. Nvidia, AMD(ATi), Intel, IBM, Samsung, ARM. Anyone who has ever designed a chip to do anything have had their crackers and their crap.

That said I don't feel the Radeon VII is crap, it's just runoff from professional cards AMD are trying to make money back on. It doess that pretty well just not amazingly.

Associate
The Radeon VII is glorious, I have no idea why so many reviews have complained about the noise. Under normal gaming use, mines has been very quiet. I'm thrilled, it seems to perform 20-30% faster than my Red Devil Vega 64, looks amazing too (https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-radeon-vii-owners-thread.18845346/page-4#post-32494613)

Found the same - really happy - I suspect the reviews would have been different had the press been using the latest driver rather than the botched press ones - looking forward to seeing further reviews as the drivers mature. I'll be buying another of these for another machine in the coming days.

In terms of performance, I was seeing 66fps in World of Tanks on Vega 64, now seeing 100fps (a huge jump and that's with GTA V running in the background!). I'm very happy with the price/performance of the Sapphire card and it'll only get better. I'm using a stock 1800x with 16gb of DDR4 for reference.

ETA - I'm running 3440x1440

Last edited:
Associate
Not a good launch from AMD bad drivers for all the reviews hardly any supply and OCUK still got stock left... I guess the only good thing is it looks like people aren't willing to pay £800 for them.

Soldato
Crap cooler too....uses a heat pad on the gpu die as the metal heat sink leaves gaps ....

All on a 700 quid plus card...

Way to go AMD:rolleyes:
AIB is always the way to go, leave it a month for the drivers to get fixed and those to come in with a price drop and people will be buying them, maybe that was the plan so they don't sell out :D
TBH with pricing on cards the most I'd want is a used 1080ti.

Caporegime
Crap cooler too....uses a heat pad on the gpu die as the metal heat sink leaves gaps ....

All on a 700 quid plus card...

Way to go AMD:rolleyes:

That's more down to the hbm, it's really no different to a regular gpu using thermal pads on the ram. You may as well levy the same complaint against any gddr GPU that has thermal pads, which would be all of them. There's been minimal if any difference between using the pad or Tim for Radeon 7.

Soldato
That's more down to the hbm, it's really no different to a regular gpu using thermal pads on the ram. You may as well levy the same complaint against any gddr GPU that has thermal pads, which would be all of them. There's been minimal if any difference between using the pad or Tim for Radeon 7.
did the ref V56 and 64 use a thermal pad for the package then :confused:

Caporegime
did the ref V56 and 64 use a thermal pad for the package then :confused:

No they did however use quite a lot of thermal paste which seemed to be very crusty when reviewers took it off. This pad they are using has better thermal conductivity than TIM so i don't see why that's a complaint at all.

Back
Top Bottom