1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radeon VII

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by DragonQ, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Darujhistan

Mobster

And you'll get that extra £20-£30 back when you resell, I always buy a primo card, and I always get a great return on it. I got £93 for a Sapphire 380 Nitro in September, which I paid £164 2 1/2 years earlier.

2. Panos

Capodecina

All cards are that spartan today, only exception the Vega Nitro coming with scaffolding. Long gone the days of BFG supplying tshirts also.

Also you cannot use those power cables these days as all cards burn more power and need the proper ones coming from the PSU. As for adapters, dvi is dead.

3. lordhawkwind

Associate

Don't flame me but if anyone is still interested in either a Gigabyte or MSI Vega VII they are still available on another website that is right next door to Bolton Wanderers stadium. Both are available for £699. Just saying. I got my Vega 64 there on launch day.

4. DrBombcrater

Hitman

That would be the ATI that sold out to AMD just before the disastrous 2900XT came out? That ATI?

5. nashathedog

Sgarrista

It would of been to have got the little connector caps and pcie protector after all it is a pricey card. Mine's a Sapphire and apart from the foam and plastic bag the gpu was in all it has is a generic how to install your gpu leaflet.

6. L-Digital82

Associate

They can keep their pcie guard and driver cd for an extra £150 thanks

7. ltron

Wise Guy

What about their many successes and the fact that they managed to exceed Nvidia's market share at times?

8. Sargatanas2511

Mobster

Everyone has successes and follies. Nvidia, AMD(ATi), Intel, IBM, Samsung, ARM. Anyone who has ever designed a chip to do anything have had their crackers and their crap.

That said I don't feel the Radeon VII is crap, it's just runoff from professional cards AMD are trying to make money back on. It doess that pretty well just not amazingly.

9. Harlequin

Mobster

The deal to merge AMD and Nvidia fell apart due to a clash of ego`s between Hector Ruiz and Jen-Hsun

10. wombooga

Associate

Found the same - really happy - I suspect the reviews would have been different had the press been using the latest driver rather than the botched press ones - looking forward to seeing further reviews as the drivers mature. I'll be buying another of these for another machine in the coming days.

In terms of performance, I was seeing 66fps in World of Tanks on Vega 64, now seeing 100fps (a huge jump and that's with GTA V running in the background!). I'm very happy with the price/performance of the Sapphire card and it'll only get better. I'm using a stock 1800x with 16gb of DDR4 for reference.

ETA - I'm running 3440x1440

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  11. Darujhistan

Mobster

It'll be a better card than the 2080 in time, they botched the launch as per usual though.

12. bru

Soldato

13. wombooga

Associate

14. Bodom

Gangster

Not a good launch from AMD bad drivers for all the reviews hardly any supply and OCUK still got stock left... I guess the only good thing is it looks like people aren't willing to pay £800 for them.

15. easyrider

Caporegime

Crap cooler too....uses a heat pad on the gpu die as the metal heat sink leaves gaps ....

All on a 700 quid plus card...

Way to go AMD:rolleyes:

16. Doogles

Mobster

AIB is always the way to go, leave it a month for the drivers to get fixed and those to come in with a price drop and people will be buying them, maybe that was the plan so they don't sell out :D
    TBH with pricing on cards the most I'd want is a used 1080ti.

17. Gerard

Caporegime

That's more down to the hbm, it's really no different to a regular gpu using thermal pads on the ram. You may as well levy the same complaint against any gddr GPU that has thermal pads, which would be all of them. There's been minimal if any difference between using the pad or Tim for Radeon 7.

18. hyperseven

Soldato

did the ref V56 and 64 use a thermal pad for the package then :confused:

19. Davedree

Mobster

No they used Tim, but there were 3 different variations of Vega dies all with different heights.

20. Gerard

Caporegime

No they did however use quite a lot of thermal paste which seemed to be very crusty when reviewers took it off. This pad they are using has better thermal conductivity than TIM so i don't see why that's a complaint at all.