1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radeon VII

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by DragonQ, Jan 9, 2019.

1. ltron

Wise Guy

What about their many successes and the fact that they managed to exceed Nvidia's market share at times?

2. Sargatanas2511

Mobster

Everyone has successes and follies. Nvidia, AMD(ATi), Intel, IBM, Samsung, ARM. Anyone who has ever designed a chip to do anything have had their crackers and their crap.

That said I don't feel the Radeon VII is crap, it's just runoff from professional cards AMD are trying to make money back on. It doess that pretty well just not amazingly.

3. Harlequin

Mobster

The deal to merge AMD and Nvidia fell apart due to a clash of ego`s between Hector Ruiz and Jen-Hsun

4. wombooga

Associate

Found the same - really happy - I suspect the reviews would have been different had the press been using the latest driver rather than the botched press ones - looking forward to seeing further reviews as the drivers mature. I'll be buying another of these for another machine in the coming days.

In terms of performance, I was seeing 66fps in World of Tanks on Vega 64, now seeing 100fps (a huge jump and that's with GTA V running in the background!). I'm very happy with the price/performance of the Sapphire card and it'll only get better. I'm using a stock 1800x with 16gb of DDR4 for reference.

ETA - I'm running 3440x1440

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  5. Darujhistan

Mobster

It'll be a better card than the 2080 in time, they botched the launch as per usual though.

6. bru

Soldato

7. wombooga

Associate

8. Bodom

Gangster

Not a good launch from AMD bad drivers for all the reviews hardly any supply and OCUK still got stock left... I guess the only good thing is it looks like people aren't willing to pay £800 for them.

9. easyrider

Caporegime

Crap cooler too....uses a heat pad on the gpu die as the metal heat sink leaves gaps ....

All on a 700 quid plus card...

Way to go AMD:rolleyes:

10. Doogles

Mobster

AIB is always the way to go, leave it a month for the drivers to get fixed and those to come in with a price drop and people will be buying them, maybe that was the plan so they don't sell out :D
    TBH with pricing on cards the most I'd want is a used 1080ti.

11. Gerard

Caporegime

That's more down to the hbm, it's really no different to a regular gpu using thermal pads on the ram. You may as well levy the same complaint against any gddr GPU that has thermal pads, which would be all of them. There's been minimal if any difference between using the pad or Tim for Radeon 7.

12. hyperseven

Soldato

did the ref V56 and 64 use a thermal pad for the package then :confused:

13. Davedree

Mobster

No they used Tim, but there were 3 different variations of Vega dies all with different heights.

14. Gerard

Caporegime

No they did however use quite a lot of thermal paste which seemed to be very crusty when reviewers took it off. This pad they are using has better thermal conductivity than TIM so i don't see why that's a complaint at all.

15. shankly1985

Capodecina

Sorry if already posted, not been keeping up with this thread.

16. Martini1991

Caporegime

I'm about 10 games in to this review.
    Doesn't exactly paint a positive picture for the Vega 7. Consistently behind the GTX 2080.

At £500, this would be a cracking release, at £650-£800 it's just not happening for me.

17. shankly1985

Capodecina

Tbh I dont care about the 2080 performance. for me its all about the VEGA 64 vs V7 and it just isn't there for me either at this price. I would be happy paying £550

I want the performance uplift I got coming from R9 290 to VEGA 64

Baby on the way I can not do stupid buying haaa but I do want the VEGA 7 :D

18. Davedree

Mobster

Coming from an lc64 I don't think i'm missing out either.

19. shankly1985

Capodecina

It really does depend what review you look at when viewing these GPUs. I take videos all day over graphs like Hardware Unboxed Youtube channel I like the channel but dont agree with their reporting of benchmarks.

Take these runs for example. Note also just how much better AMD frame times are in these games and this is something you can see alot in most games.

This youtube channel is fast becoming one of my favourite I love the detail they go into at the end of each run. You really get to see how the GPUs perform.

20. Krono5

Wise Guy

Not seen this posted yet. A far more positive review even using the press drivers.

I've also heard of people hitting 2000 clock speed so after a few weeks/months of driver updates it's looking like it may be favourable to the 2080.