Nice pongs and gorgeous whiffs. The Aftershave thread!

Soldato
Anyone else a fan of Jo Malone scents? Their Oud and Bergemot smells divine but I cannot fathom the price tag. Managed to find a clone from a brand called 'Jenny Glow' and despite smelling exactly the same the performance is terrible.

Permabanned
Tried DHP original vs the intense at the same time in a store. They ONLY had the DHP bottle as a tester, but not one for sale!! It will probably end up in the bin or something.

Funnily enough, I preferred the Intense tbh, after the plastic/lipstick smell had died down after a few mins.

BOTH lasted equally as long as the other, I was smelling each wrist during the course of the day, and the longevity was identical.

I get it now, the DHP original does smell a bit "old" and the Intense VERY similar, but just that little bit fresher, so Intense for me all the way I think.

Soldato
I really like Spice bomb, it's the best Winter fragrance I've had. I was bought Bvlgari Man in Black for Christmas which smells very very similar but sits closer to the skin so is much safer in closed environments. I find 3 sprays of Spicebomb hits the nose of everyone in a 6 foot radius sometimes!

Associate
Anyone else a fan of Jo Malone scents? Their Oud and Bergemot smells divine but I cannot fathom the price tag. Managed to find a clone from a brand called 'Jenny Glow' and despite smelling exactly the same the performance is terrible.
My gf started dragging me into JM and I've ended up collecting a few of their scents too. The Oud & Bergamot is, as you say, lovely. I'm also a fan of Wood Sage & Sea Salt. Can't say the price seems any more imposing than some of the others in this thread though?

Associate
Have got into this recently via my brother, having never really thought about it before. Started my collection yesterday with:
  • Creed Aventus - shockingly expensive but fab
  • Sauvage (EDT) - love the darkness and subtlety of this one
  • Tom Ford Grey Vetiver - have to confess I thought this was slightly 'effeminate' initially compared to the others, but it's a real grower
Really liking Armani's Acqua di Gio Profumo too and will pick up a bottle soon.

I've also been given a bottle of CDNI, which apart from metaphorically punching you on the nose when you first put it on, does a pretty good job of replicating Aventus.

Permabanned
I always wonder about pet food and after shave. Pet food is often made to smell palatable to the pet owner when the pet might well prefer the smell of semi rotten meat, and men's opinion on what smells good in an aftershave may not match what the female finds attractive. Of course, some may well be wanting to attract another male.... ;) Pheromones are a complex subject! I like women who smell of the crisp new bank notes that they have stuffed their handbag with these days. Anything else is a bonus.

Soldato
If any of you want some guidance on men's perfume then check out Jeremy Fragrance on YT.

Recently acquired Bleu De Chanel Parfum....simply outstanding.
Its a very rich, dark, and deep fragrance. Smells incredible. My only downside was it didn’t project very long. But it stays on/close to the skin for a very long time

V_R

V_R

Soldato
If any of you want some guidance on men's perfume then check out Jeremy Fragrance on YT.

Lol. No. The guys a narcissistic idiot. There are far better YouTubers to watch. Mr Smelly or Gents Scents off the top of my head .

Associate
I asked my wife to pick up some more Eau Sauvage when she was in Oz recently and she came back with Sauvage. The first is a gentleman's classic, the second is a a 19 year old's alcopop.
Your opinion of course and therefore it obviously isn't right or wrong - this whole fragrance thing is very individual and much a case of what appeals to one might repulse another.

My brother is a big fan of Bleu de Chanel, but personally - and feel free to call me a philistine as I know a lot of people love it - to me the smell was reminiscent of 1970's talcum powder ... each to their own

Associate
Lol. No. The guys a narcissistic idiot. There are far better YouTubers to watch. Mr Smelly or Gents Scents off the top of my head .

That's your opinion and I have to disagree.

Dan aka Mr Smelly for me is incredibly boring, no charisma on screen whatsoever and lacks the product knowledge that Jeremy has.

He also has TM Amen in his top 10 :(

Associate
Its a very rich, dark, and deep fragrance. Smells incredible. My only downside was it didn’t project very long. But it stays on/close to the skin for a very long time

Longevity for me on clothes is far greater than on skin. Projection could be better but still Ok.

If you read some of the reviews on Fragantica you would be mistaken into thinking they were reviewing a £4.99 parfum!

Man of Honour
I asked my wife to pick up some more Eau Sauvage when she was in Oz recently and she came back with Sauvage. The first is a gentleman's classic, the second is a a 19 year old's alcopop.
The modern Eau Sauvage was changed about ten years ago. It's still lovely but not as nice as the original. But it's far nicer than Sauvage.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
That's your opinion and I have to disagree.

Dan aka Mr Smelly for me is incredibly boring, no charisma on screen whatsoever and lacks the product knowledge that Jeremy has.

He also has TM Amen in his top 10 :(

He does like a lot more of the retro stuff I'll give you that. As I said, it was off the top of my head. FragMental is also good.

With regards to Jeremy, he doesn't have a clue about 'product knowledge' - https://youtu.be/mrzshzxyI-A?t=37 - he can't tell the difference between a wood and a flower. :p

Also there's this:

Last edited:
Associate
I am not a fan of his 'project' and he is under a lot of fire for it with the stupid prices being touted.

Jeremy reviewing fragrances with the obligatory spin and pressup is what I love and he does best.

Soldato

I bought a bottle of Eau Sauvage EDP (The olive coloured one) and it's up there with Bois Du Portugal for classy scents.

I do like Sauvage EDP though, not so much the EDT.

Back
Top Bottom