Energy Suppliers

Associate
I've checked on FU website and based on my current usage, they would want me to pay and extra £15 per month compared to what I'm on now. I guess the question is, Do I have to pay them the exit fees rather than should I.

Soldato
I need some advice regarding switching suppliers for both gas and electric.

I moved home at the end of November 2018 and went from First Utility to British Gas (new properties supplier). The plan was to go back to First Utility using the home move option so I started this but found out (near end of December) that they could not supply the electric due to the property not being registered on a database so the move was put on hold until British Gas could update this and give me the MPAN for the address. They did this but turns out it was the wrong one. I didn't know this until I called First Utility for an update sometime early January and was told I need to get British Gas to give me the correct MPAN and update the database. Now it's the end of February and as I've been busy with holidays and other things, I haven't contacted British Gas for the correct MPAN so currently my home move with First Utility is on hold. I don't owe them money for any gas or electric usage as I was always in credit with them and had a refund when I left, but my tariff with them had £30 per fuel exit fee.

My questions are:

Do I need to do anything or shall I just leave it and stay with British Gas/look for cheaper tariff (not first utility)?
Do I call British Gas to get the MPAN and go back to First Utility to see what they can offer?
Do I call First Utility to pay the exit fee and stay with British Gas? First Utility haven't contacted me for this so do I really need to pay this exit fee?

MPAN = Meter Point Administration Number

Is it a new build property?. If not its very rare to find a supply with no mpan and a shipperless gas supply. Regarding the exit fee i would say thats down to company t and c's but i would be amazed if they thought it enforceable given they dont supply you currently. Ombudsman would have a field day with them.

Any questions re swapping feel free to ask. Changes of supplier process, regulation etc was my bread and butter for a long time.

Soldato
It sounds like you are already living in the property and taken the supply rather than about to move.

If there is an exit fee on the tariff then you will have signed up to a fixed rate tariff when you first contacted BG after you moved in and you would need to pay any exit fees to leave.

When you first contacted them did you discuss different tariffs?

Associate
Is it a new build property?. If not its very rare to find a supply with no mpan and a shipperless gas supply. Regarding the exit fee i would say thats down to company t and c's but i would be amazed if they thought it enforceable given they dont supply you currently. Ombudsman would have a field day with them.

Any questions re swapping feel free to ask. Changes of supplier process, regulation etc was my bread and butter for a long time.

It's roughly 3 years old now. The gas was fine but I couldn't move the gas supply as first utility only do duel fuel, not one or the other.

I've had no contact from Fu chasing me on the home move and I don't owe them money for what that supplied me at my old house.

It sounds like you are already living in the property and taken the supply rather than about to move.

If there is an exit fee on the tariff then you will have signed up to a fixed rate tariff when you first contacted BG after you moved in and you would need to pay any exit fees to leave.

When you first contacted them did you discuss different tariffs?

Yes I'm living in the new property now. When I contacted British gas on the day we moved in, they put me on the temporary December tariff and there is no exit fee on this with bg, I checked that, so I can move from without paying anything.

My issue is with fu and their exit fee. They don't supply me now and the home move with them is still technically on hold

Soldato
It's roughly 3 years old now. The gas was fine but I couldn't move the gas supply as first utility only do duel fuel, not one or the other.

I've had no contact from Fu chasing me on the home move and I don't owe them money for what that supplied me at my old house.

Yes I'm living in the new property now. When I contacted British gas on the day we moved in, they put me on the temporary December tariff and there is no exit fee on this with bg, I checked that, so I can move from without paying anything.

My issue is with fu and their exit fee. They don't supply me now and the home move with them is still technically on hold
For how long have they not supplied you?

Soldato
So the exit fee is from your old contact with FU from before you moved and you tried to take your current tariff with you? That makes sense and I get where you are now.

The switch back to FU should have been done within about 3 weeks, but BG have obviously messed it up.

I think you need to pay it if you don’t take your supply back to FU as you have essentially breached it early.

You have 2 options, chase BG to sort it out and complete the switch or stay where you are and continue to pay BG and pay the exit fees to FU.

Either way you need to do something, if BG don’t sort it out you can get the ombudsman involved.

Associate
For how long have they not supplied you?

Since I moved on the 30th November.

So the exit fee is from your old contact with FU from before you moved and you tried to take your current tariff with you? That makes sense and I get where you are now.

The switch back to FU should have been done within about 3 weeks, but BG have obviously messed it up.

I think you need to pay it if you don’t take your supply back to FU as you have essentially breached it early.

You have 2 options, chase BG to sort it out and complete the switch or stay where you are and continue to pay BG and pay the exit fees to FU.

Either way you need to do something, if BG don’t sort it out you can get the ombudsman involved.

Yes, the exit fee is from FU when I was at my previous address. It should have been done yes but FU couldn't find my address on their database so the switch could not go through until it had been added by BG to the database. FU is coming up more expensive than BG for tariffs so ideally I now don't want to switch. I may see if they can offer me something to stay with them that will cover the cost of the exit fee.

Soldato
When did they do that? I had an email last week today they are keeping prices as they are for now.
28 feb

"We just wanted to pop by and keep you in the loop about what’s happening with energy prices. We’ve just dropped our gas prices in some areas of the UK because wholesale gas costs have fallen since December.

Since you only buy electricity from us, the price of your energy won’t change this time, but we wanted to let you know.

You might remember that we lowered our electricity prices in December. While the cost of generating electricity has fallen since then, some other electricity costs have increased, like the amount charged by the grid to connect to your home. This means we’re keeping our electricity prices the same for now"

Soldato
Does this still work if you're a returning customer?
12 month gap needed. From the Ts and Cs:

• 17.2.4. Referrers must be existing Bulb members. Recruits must not have already signed up to Bulb or be an existing member, already on supply with Bulb, or a member of Bulb in the preceding 12 months, under any email address or alias.

Back
Top Bottom