*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
A quick Google appears to show that they consume 6.5W (max) and that the switch can supply 12W per port. If that’s correct you could have four of them connected.

Associate
Bear in mind that the consumption of devices depends on load and they can also use more during boot. For example one of my UAP-AC-PROs is currently 7.4W and another is 3.5W due to load differences and above we see one using 2.48W.

I've seen people caught out with under specifying power or using higher power standard POE devices on lower standard and then had failures during boot due to the higher consumption at those times or when under greater load.

Having said that, the UAP-AC-LRs will be fine on that switch as its ports are specified as 802.3af delivering up to 15.4W per port and that's the same standard specified for the UAP-AC-LR even though in practice it will use less.

Soldato
A quick Google appears to show that they consume 6.5W (max) and that the switch can supply 12W per port. If that’s correct you could have four of them connected.
I have the US-8-150W, I have a UAP - AC - PRO runnning on POE+ and the port is showing 2.48w and my Cloudkey is also on POE+ consuming 4.14w

You should have no problems at all.
Thanks gents

Soldato
Hi all - read quite a bit of this thread but realised, having not done anything networking related for about 10 years I'm a bit out of date and some of this discussion is going way over my head.

I'm looking to improve wireless coverage, mainly for a laptop, Fire TV devices and iPhone/iPad in my 2-storey 1960's house (with thick walls). I struggle to get reliable signal at even moderate distances from a centrally placed router on 2.4Ghz and 5GHz bands. I wired the house with Cat5e into almost every room (not bathrooms!) and it all comes back to a rack with a patch-panel and a Netgear JGS524E in a cupboard in my office above the stairs, fairly central to the house. This is where the Netgear RT-N56U router lives and broadcasts from. Internet connection is via one of those Openreach HG612's that I've connected to the router via the Cat5e cabling in the hallway next to my phone line. I only get about 35mbps down with my FTTC, but it's as good as I can get for now.

Most seem to recommend for best coverage to look at Ubiquiti APs, but I'm trying to understand how I would deploy one for most benefit, rather than upgrading/replacing the router for one with better coverage (does that even exist?). I obviously want to spend as little as possible to make the upgrade. Will the Ubiquiti APs work well across 2 floors or am I looking at 2 (which obviously increases cost!)? Which AP would be right for this kind of deployment? A lot of discussion here on the merits of each!

Soldato
Hi all - read quite a bit of this thread but realised, having not done anything networking related for about 10 years I'm a bit out of date and some of this discussion is going way over my head.

I'm looking to improve wireless coverage, mainly for a laptop, Fire TV devices and iPhone/iPad in my 2-storey 1960's house (with thick walls). I struggle to get reliable signal at even moderate distances from a centrally placed router on 2.4Ghz and 5GHz bands. I wired the house with Cat5e into almost every room (not bathrooms!) and it all comes back to a rack with a patch-panel and a Netgear JGS524E in a cupboard in my office above the stairs, fairly central to the house. This is where the Netgear RT-N56U router lives and broadcasts from. Internet connection is via one of those Openreach HG612's that I've connected to the router via the Cat5e cabling in the hallway next to my phone line. I only get about 35mbps down with my FTTC, but it's as good as I can get for now.

Most seem to recommend for best coverage to look at Ubiquiti APs, but I'm trying to understand how I would deploy one for most benefit, rather than upgrading/replacing the router for one with better coverage (does that even exist?). I obviously want to spend as little as possible to make the upgrade. Will the Ubiquiti APs work well across 2 floors or am I looking at 2 (which obviously increases cost!)? Which AP would be right for this kind of deployment? A lot of discussion here on the merits of each!

If your current Wifi Router is already placed pretty centrally putting a AP in the same spot won't magically make things massively better as all WiFi equipment are regulated the same.

The cheap way to improve your WiFi is to put one AP upstairs and keep the Router WiFi enabled downstairs, a Lite would be perfectly fine. The best way is to buy 2 and turn the WiFi off on your Router.

Most Ubiquiti AP's are way overkill for home use thus Lite's and LR's are the most commonly used.

Last edited:
Soldato
If your current Wifi Router is already placed pretty centrally putting a AP in the same spot won't magically make things massively better as all WiFi equipment are regulated the same.

The cheap way to improve your WiFi is to put one AP upstairs and keep the Router WiFi enabled downstairs, a Lite would be perfectly fine. The best way is to buy 2 and turn the WiFi off on your Router.

Most Ubiquiti AP's are way overkill for home use thus Lite's and LR's are the most commonly used.

I agree completely with this. If the site has a number of AC wireless devices the UAP-HD-Nano or AP-AC-HD will give significantly better 5GHz performance than the other Access Points in the range because of the 4x4 MuMiMo antennae setup. If the site is primarily 2.4GHz or there are very few AC devices then any AP will do.

Soldato
How would one compare to a AP-AC-Pro?

The AP-AC-Pro can only do 3x3 AC if there are only 3x3 AC clients connected to it. The instant a 1x1 or 2x2 client joins the access point it drops to the same speed as the slowest client in the Access Point.

The AP-AC-Pro can only serve one client at a time (even though it seems to have lots of clients attached simultaneously, only one is ever passing data at a time). The 4x4 HD access points drop to 2x2 as a worst case scenario and process 1 4x4 client, 2 2x2 clients, a 3x3 and 1x1 client or 4 1x1 clients simultaneously, because of the MuMiMo antennae. So, on paper, with mainly 2x2 and 1x1 clients, the UAP-HD-Nano would be significantly faster than the AP-AC-Pro, but it depends on the client mix.

Man of Honour
How secure is the in built remote site L2TP VPN?

The AP-AC-Pro can only do 3x3 AC if there are only 3x3 AC clients connected to it. The instant a 1x1 or 2x2 client joins the access point it drops to the same speed as the slowest client in the Access Point.

The AP-AC-Pro can only serve one client at a time (even though it seems to have lots of clients attached simultaneously, only one is ever passing data at a time). The 4x4 HD access points drop to 2x2 as a worst case scenario and process 1 4x4 client, 2 2x2 clients, a 3x3 and 1x1 client or 4 1x1 clients simultaneously, because of the MuMiMo antennae. So, on paper, with mainly 2x2 and 1x1 clients, the UAP-HD-Nano would be significantly faster than the AP-AC-Pro, but it depends on the client mix.

Cheers.

Soldato

I agree completely with this. If the site has a number of AC wireless devices the UAP-HD-Nano or AP-AC-HD will give significantly better 5GHz performance than the other Access Points in the range because of the 4x4 MuMiMo antennae setup. If the site is primarily 2.4GHz or there are very few AC devices then any AP will do.

Thank you both for the advice, that's helpful. Perhaps I'll try one UAP-AC-LITE or UAP-LR and then make a decision on whether it's worth moving to two. Guess I'll have to plan the placement as carefully as I can around the ethernet wall ports I have. Most of my devices are probably 5GHz capable, but I assume that the signal is less likely to penetrate as far and so I may as well stick with 2.4GHz for reliability, given none of the wireless devices are high performance things (web browsing or casual streaming). My PCs and main 4K smart TV are all wired into the gigabit network; I'm not an animal!

EDIT: Price differences weren't a lot - ordered a UAP-AC-LR and we'll see how it does.

Last edited:
Soldato
Unless you're really lucky, the 2.4GHz band is generally very congested and you generally only have 11 or 13 options open to you which actually means 3 or 4 channels you can use. The 5GHz band allows you to select from a much wider range of options and tends to be much less cluttered. You are, of course, correct that the 5GHz signal barely penetrates walls so if you want strong 5GHz performance you almost need a low power access point in every room.

It's very worthwhile doing a site survey with the WiFiMan app that UBNT now do. And if you have the HD type 4x4 access points they have automatic band selection so they actually choose the best band based on current conditions.

Soldato
Thanks - I edited my post to reflect the choice I made on UAP-AC-LR, which of course will support 5GHz. I'll be sure to check back and note my findings on both bands. My current router also supports 5GHz and I expect the new AP to provide similar results based on what has been discussed (i.e. not great penetration). I thinking placement is going to be the most important factor and of course now I have 2 devices to broadcast. I'll use WiFiMan to decide where the best placement is likely to be and maybe even which band to use my devices on...thanks for the tip!

Soldato
It's very worthwhile doing a site survey with the WiFiMan app that UBNT now do. And if you have the HD type 4x4 access points they have automatic band selection so they actually choose the best band based on current conditions.
How do you do that? I only see options for a speedtest and discovery on mine.

I went with 2 x Lites as I figured it's best to have a few lower powered/range APs than have one more powerful that doesn't quite reach every part of the house (or garden). I can always add on another lite and tune them to try and prevent overlapping too much.

Soldato
I think the app only has all the features on Android, not iOS.

I figured the same with the Lites but then the cost difference was actually not much so I figured I could try an LR and maybe add another AP later.

Soldato
How do you do that? I only see options for a speedtest and discovery on mine.

I went with 2 x Lites as I figured it's best to have a few lower powered/range APs than have one more powerful that doesn't quite reach every part of the house (or garden). I can always add on another lite and tune them to try and prevent overlapping too much.

Sorry - Ignore that. I’m talking crap.;)

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Talking of 'channels' is there no way the controller can automatically adjust channels or is it just the HD type 4x4 units?

Back
Top Bottom