Mazda 3 MPS owners here?

Associate
doesn't disconnecting the SWAS stop the limiting?
As far as I know its electronically done from the ECU. Many tuners I believe prefer to not increase the torque limit in 1st & 2nd because the car will just wheel spin which potentially makes removing the limiter pointless and also the pistons & rods etc can't handle heavy boost pressure at low rpm. Hence most MPS owners tend to just keep it in safe region and then when going 3rd onwards only go flat out after 3k rpm.
Recommended way to tune the car is using Cobb accessport or versatuner.
Recommended tuners are Justin in the UK but he is not going to be taking anymore new customers after this month, so that leaves going to get a tune from America which most people recommend:
Stratified
Freektune
Few others which I can't remember on top of my head.

Associate
try unclipping the swas plug under the steering column... you might be surprised... But, yeah, it just makes the wheels loose traction quicker if you can't modulate your right foot ;)

10min job and can just plug it back in if you don't like it.

Shame Justin is stopping, but it's understandable that his family should come first - I used him and Cobb on my 6. Haven't Cobb changed their tuning requirements/software-access a year or so ago, so you can't just get the software with the Cobb unit? Basically sounded like Versa looked a better option, despite not being able to reuse on a different car.

Soldato
Please don't spread that information about SWAS on here.

It disables far more than the traction limiters. All the safety features are killed off. Just use Versatuner and tick a box.... Only real way to sort it.

Associate
well, sure... SWAS itself is part of the safety system, so of course it will impact other systems. I'm just replying to the prior comment "1st and 2nd gear are torque limited to reduce torque steer, this can't be changed even with a tune" - and explaining that it should be possibly to remove that limiter... (at a cost)

Assuming it's not got ditch-finder tyres then do you need TC and DSC on a fwd car? partially a joke...

Soldato
well, sure... SWAS itself is part of the safety system, so of course it will impact other systems. I'm just replying to the prior comment "1st and 2nd gear are torque limited to reduce torque steer, this can't be changed even with a tune" - and explaining that it should be possibly to remove that limiter... (at a cost)

Assuming it's not got ditch-finder tyres then do you need TC and DSC on a fwd car? partially a joke...
You may not need them. But some who have zero driving skills do require them or end up in a ditch.
Why would Mazda spend the R&D getting them into the car...

Do it correctly via versaVersa or don't touch SWAS at all. If you can't afford versatuner, then sell the MPS and buy a Corsa VXR ;)

Associate
I had a MkII 3 MPS (2010 plate) in black mica for almost four years (31K miles to 64K miles) til I sold it in April this year and I miss it sooooooo much. :( It was my first taste of a turbo hot hatch and I loved it to pieces. I didn't mod it as it cost enough to run, but it performed flawlessly and had no turbo smoke (did the extended idle test before selling) or chain rattle.

My wife had a MkVII Fiesta ST with the Mountune MP215 Stage 1 package (+ their catback and sound symposer delete) which she sold in August 2018 after buying a 2015 Hyundai i30 1.4l in preparation for our first child. She was also sad to see the MPS go as it meant no more boosting shenanigans.

I really hope Mazda can pull another 3 MPS out of the bag, seeing as they have that new 2.5l turbo engine in North America & Australia.

Last edited:
Associate
How's it going with the Mk2 MPS, to any owners on the thread? I'm thinking of getting one as a second car. Glad I read this thread, as the one I am looking at has 63k miles..!

Heart over head, picked up a 2009 plate mk2 at the weekend, 36k miles on it, fairly well looked after, FMSH and all the gubbins.

How's your experience with the car so far?

Associate
How's it going with the Mk2 MPS, to any owners on the thread? I'm thinking of getting one as a second car. Glad I read this thread, as the one I am looking at has 63k miles..!
The usual things to look out for when inspecting is:
Blue smoke
Chain rattle
Usual service history
Rust etc
If car been modified or de-modified there should be some indications hardware or even a Cobb Accessport present
Driving experience as long as you don't put your foot down on gas until you've gone past 3k rpm then you should be fine, the experience when turbo kicks in is very punchy like old turbo cars which is great.
My car has 89k miles still on stock turbo, the car will need the clutch&flywheel done somepoint which I'm planning to get it done sometime next month provided when the SMF is available again.

Garages most people recommend for work is CJ Performance in Mansfield and some people recommend C&F Automotive can't remember where they are based.
Remaps do not go near any UK tuning garages as not many of them aren't familiar with the MPS platform go with E-tune via using Cobb Accessport or Versatune. Google is your friend to find E-tuners.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Only done about 2.5k miles since I bought it but as a daily driver it's great. My commute is only a few miles but spend a lot of that stuck in traffic so the creature comforts are good. Heated seats and windscreen have been a godsend through the winter.

It's easy to drive economically but the power is there and delivers well when you want it.

One thing that seems to get overlooked is just how damn good the stock BOSE stereo system is, good range of sound and punchy bass due to the sub in the boot...again as standard. Bluetooth automatically pairs to my phone within 30 seconds of sitting down and then plays spotify which is controlled via steering wheel controls, so that's nice :)

Absolutely zero regrets, nice low mileage example that won't go up a lot so with regularly services and a bit of looking after, hope it won't lose too much value.

Soldato
Only done about 2.5k miles since I bought it but as a daily driver it's great. My commute is only a few miles but spend a lot of that stuck in traffic so the creature comforts are good. Heated seats and windscreen have been a godsend through the winter.

It's easy to drive economically but the power is there and delivers well when you want it.

One thing that seems to get overlooked is just how damn good the stock BOSE stereo system is, good range of sound and punchy bass due to the sub in the boot...again as standard. Bluetooth automatically pairs to my phone within 30 seconds of sitting down and then plays spotify which is controlled via steering wheel controls, so that's nice :)

Absolutely zero regrets, nice low mileage example that won't go up a lot so with regularly services and a bit of looking after, hope it won't lose too much value.
How did you get your Bluetooth working for Spotify? Mines only working for phone calls

Soldato
OP
How did you get your Bluetooth working for Spotify? Mines only working for phone calls

I did the initial pairing so it saved my phone then needed to wait until I saw a musical note icon on the right of the info screen. Then press the Aux button and it'll play audio from your phone.

Now I get in the car with phone Bluetooth on, it auto pairs and resumes Spotify from wherever it last stopped. The caveat here is that spofity needs to be in my recent apps list or I need to manually start it.

Let me know how you get on.

Associate
One thing that seems to get overlooked is just how damn good the stock BOSE stereo system is

For an audio system available in a car from the factory, that BOSE system is excellent! The Audiopilot function is superb, not only adjusting volume as you drive but also boosting certain mid-range frequencies that the engine/exhaust sound can drown out.
The Sony system in the Fiesta ST which my wife had was terrible, even compared to a bog standard Hyundai i30 haha!

Soldato
For an audio system available in a car from the factory, that BOSE system is excellent! The Audiopilot function is superb, not only adjusting volume as you drive but also boosting certain mid-range frequencies that the engine/exhaust sound can drown out.
The Sony system in the Fiesta ST which my wife had was terrible, even compared to a bog standard Hyundai i30 haha!
Audio pilot?

How gaha I owned this car for two years... Yet never known these things

Soldato
OP
Yeah audio pilot is pretty good, I think it's enabled as default though...so you should have been using it, even without realising :)

In terms of things I only found out about after having the car a while was the adaptive headlights, never had that in a car before and didn't even know it was a thing. Was driving dark country lanes by my mums in the middle of worcestershire and was shocked when my headlights were moving with my steering. For a 2009 car, I think it was quite ahead in terms of "toys".

Associate
Aaah, the good old AFS (Adaptive Front-lighting System). Being a dweeb, I read up about all the snazzy features of the car prior to purchase so know a lot of the abbreviations ( well, remember a lot of them :( ).

Associate
I'm used to having to start Spotify manually in my car, so that isn't a problem. Although I have an iPod that stays in the car so I don't use Spotify much anyway. Still thinking about what to get to be honest, lots of options out there (Legacy Spec B or GT, EP3, Forester STi, R32, GTI) and it is only to have the occasional practicality of a tailgate. Would be nice to have something a bit different to a RWD V8, and I don't want a boring old Mondeo diesel estate. The outrageousness of the MPS appeals, some of the other hot hatches may be a bit more 'precise' but that's not the aim here.

Associate
The outrageousness of the MPS appeals, some of the other hot hatches may be a bit more 'precise' but that's not the aim here.

Agreed, the 3 MPS is a nutjob compared to more mainstream hot hatches!

I just re-read my initial post in this thread where I said my car was bone stock. Tell a lie, I did have a Corksport OE replacement REM in my MPS. It sharpened up handling in corners, all but eliminated wheel hop, and brought some extra engine NVH into the cabin which is no bad thing in my book!

Damn it, I loved that car... *sobs quietly at keyboard*

Back
Top Bottom