Mazda 3 MPS owners here?

Soldato
EDIT: Bought something, jump straight to the post here... https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32095223/

I remember from when I owned my mk1 3MPS Aero a few years ago there were a bunch here who had the same and there was a fair bit of love for the car. I had to sell when baby came along, put up with a lifeless 1.8 civic for a year shared with my wife and then got the Megane Sport R26 a few months back .

Thing is i'm just not enjoying it remotely as much as I did my mk1 3MPS. I honestly don't know the reason, I think it's just a bunch of little niggles like in cabin vibration on the fittings, the god awful stereo/speakers, the rattly windows...none of which I had in the MPS or maybe just wasn't aware of.

I know on paper the MPS has more torque and BHP but it's marginally more than the R26, however the meg feels slower than i'd expected it to be or how I remember the MPS being.

It's got to the point the other day I started looking at getting another MPS. However I have about £8.5k to spend to this puts me in mk2 territory.

I'm not entirely sold on the looks of the mk2 over the mk1...I know, probably in a minority here, I like the sleeper'ish appeal of the mk1.

So, who here still has one or had one and if buying right now, would you go for a well looked after mk1 Aero or go for the mk2?

EDIT: Anyone want to buy an R26 ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a Mk2.

Money bags are required for a Mk2. Or not... Get on the MPS Facebook groups, there are a few for sale. One especially good example which is 9k but has every mod under the sun and is kept pristine by the owner.

Soldato
OP
I have a Mk2.

Money bags are required for a Mk2. Or not... Get on the MPS Facebook groups, there are a few for sale. One especially good example which is 9k but has every mod under the sun and is kept pristine by the owner.

Anyone chance you could link me to the one thats for sale? I'm not on facebook but assume I can see it regardless?

The upkeep on the aero wasn't that bad, just the oddly sized tyres cost me a bit.

Soldato
Think you have got the wrong end of the stick with the R26, they are meant to be a more track focused car, and as for the the rattles ect, I am not sure what you expect from buying a Renault, they are all the same

Soldato
OP
Think you have got the wrong end of the stick with the R26, they are meant to be a more track focused car, and as for the the rattles ect, I am not sure what you expect from buying a Renault, they are all the same

Yeah, I just liked the look of them when hunting around a few months back and people generally speak highly of them. I've had a few B road blasts but just not feeling it :(

I've previously had a Clio 172 and it wasn't remotely as rattly as the R26, my brother in law also had a regular Clio and it felt much better put together, doesn't really make sense.

Soldato
Has it had any performance mods or remap? Might feel a bit better then, wont help with the rattles though lol. I have mk3 rs Meg, and they are much better put together, if you are looking at a 9k budget for a mazda I would definitely have a look at the mk3 cup spec cars

Soldato
OP
Has it had any performance mods or remap? Might feel a bit better then, wont help with the rattles though lol. I have mk3 rs Meg, and they are much better put together, if you are looking at a 9k budget for a mazda I would definitely have a look at the mk3 cup spec cars

Nothing mod wise, only 1 previous owner and I have all the receipts from day one, nothing in there to suggest any upgrades.

Had a brief look at the mk3 on ebay/AT but at my budget not a lot of choice.

Soldato
Anyone chance you could link me to the one thats for sale? I'm not on facebook but assume I can see it regardless?

The upkeep on the aero wasn't that bad, just the oddly sized tyres cost me a bit.
Closed groups mate sorry. You won't see them. Send me a trust. Get a facebook account and we can get you connected to them

Soldato
OP
Closed groups mate sorry. You won't see them. Send me a trust. Get a facebook account and we can get you connected to them

Well I do have a 12 year old account, just haven't used it since last October. Might have to log back on just for the MPS groups, think I was still on a few tbh.

The 3MPS you mentioned for sale, not a white 10 plate mk2 is it?

Soldato
Just asked as there is fairly heavily modded white mk2 on ebay right now.

I'll get on there later on and take a look, thanks for the heads up.
Just seen that one.
Looks like a bargin but a few things leap out at me.
No way is a BNRs4 turbod MPs running just 300bhp. Would be more like 350+...

No information on who mapped it.

Soldato
OP
Just seen that one.
Looks like a bargin but a few things leap out at me.
No way is a BNRs4 turbod MPs running just 300bhp. Would be more like 350+...

No information on who mapped it.

The other thing that puts me off is that it was up for sale a few months back when I was looking and got the R26. I'm fairly sure it had exactly the same photos as well. It's either been sold and someone is quickly trying to get rid or the original seller has been constantly relisting.

Associate
That white one on ebay with Bnr seem to have everything ticked in terms of mods to be "reliable", as for the low quoted power figure. Maybe it hasn't been dynoed to confirmed how much it's actually making and as for whoever tuned it, if going by his listing its done via cobb accessport which mean it may have been tuned by Justin who is the only guy in the UK recommended or perhaps by any of the recommended guys from US.

Soldato
I use to have a mk1 aero, and now have an R26.

My MPS was modified slightly to 300bhp and 320lb/ft. I managed a 14.0 1/4 @ 100mph. My R26 is stock apart from an exhaust.

I got rid of the MPS because it was too expensive to run, the gearbox lunched itself and it was too noisy on the motorway. I miss it though.

Pros of MPS:

- Very quick, even without mods. Feels way more powerful than the spec suggests.
- Great seating position.
- Didn't have many rattles.
- Sounded awesome with an aftermarket exhaust.
- Stealthy.
- Bose stereo was 'ok'.
- Comfy seats.
- Big boot and enough space in the back for people.
- Standard equipment.
- Steering was nice.
- Rare (especially Aero).
- Good looking car.
- Generally reliable.

Cons of MPS:

- MPG (23mpg urban. 31mpg motorway).
- Tax (£500).
- Known for lunching 2nd gear syncros (mine did). $$$ to fix.
- Standard suspension very crashy.
- Noisy at speed. Poor sound insulation.
- Plastic fantastic.
- Expensive maintenance (timing chain etc).
- Eats suspension parts for breakfast.
- Short gearing meant relatively high RPM on the motorway.
- Relatively small tank (230-250 miles).
- Wasn't that great handling wise (can be fixed).
- Awkward, expensive standard tyre size. (215/45/18).
- Turbos smoke and break.

Pros of R26:

- Better ride.
- Better sound insulation.
- Better MPG (26mpg town. 36mpg motorway).
- Tax is nearly half the price.
- Big fuel tank.
- Longer gearing means quieter motorway journeys.
- Handling is awesome.
- Feels lively.
- Good brakes.
- Interior storage is good.

Cons of R26:

- Longer gearing makes it not quite as exciting to row through the gears.
- Long gear throw.
- Doesn't feel very quick in the mid-range.
- Seating position is 'ok'.
- Renault build quality of that era is awful. Really awful.
- Plastic fantastic.
- Standard stereo is woeful.
- No space in the back.
- Small, awkward boot.
- Fair few common faults (electrical and mechanical).
- Uninspiring engine/exhaust noise, even when modified.
- Air con is not great and the motor is noisy.
- Ugly.
- DMF is heavy and spoils the engine 'livelyness'. Also pulling away the first few times when cold can be frustrating.
- Doors are ******* massive and the door handles are in the wrong place, made of plastic, and break.
- Awkward, expensive standard tyre size. (235/40/18).

Soldato
I asked that eBay seller OP.

It was mapped by Justin, he stopped at around the 300-310 bhp figure as he was happy with it and knew it wasn't taxing any of the mods.

So yea... That's a bargain, really is.

Soldato
I use to have a mk1 aero, and now have an R26.

My MPS was modified slightly to 300bhp and 320lb/ft. I managed a 14.0 1/4 @ 100mph. My R26 is stock apart from an exhaust.

I got rid of the MPS because it was too expensive to run, the gearbox lunched itself and it was too noisy on the motorway. I miss it though.

Pros of MPS:

- Very quick, even without mods. Feels way more powerful than the spec suggests.
- Great seating position.
- Didn't have many rattles.
- Sounded awesome with an aftermarket exhaust.
- Stealthy.
- Bose stereo was 'ok'.
- Comfy seats.
- Big boot and enough space in the back for people.
- Standard equipment.
- Steering was nice.
- Rare (especially Aero).
- Good looking car.
- Generally reliable.

Cons of MPS:

- MPG (23mpg urban. 31mpg motorway).
- Tax (£500).
- Known for lunching 2nd gear syncros (mine did). $$$ to fix.
- Standard suspension very crashy.
- Noisy at speed. Poor sound insulation.
- Plastic fantastic.
- Expensive maintenance (timing chain etc).
- Eats suspension parts for breakfast.
- Short gearing meant relatively high RPM on the motorway.
- Relatively small tank (230-250 miles).
- Wasn't that great handling wise (can be fixed).
- Awkward, expensive standard tyre size. (215/45/18).
- Turbos smoke and break.

Pros of R26:

- Better ride.
- Better sound insulation.
- Better MPG (26mpg town. 36mpg motorway).
- Tax is nearly half the price.
- Big fuel tank.
- Longer gearing means quieter motorway journeys.
- Handling is awesome.
- Feels lively.
- Good brakes.
- Interior storage is good.

Cons of R26:

- Longer gearing makes it not quite as exciting to row through the gears.
- Long gear throw.
- Doesn't feel very quick in the mid-range.
- Seating position is 'ok'.
- Renault build quality of that era is awful. Really awful.
- Plastic fantastic.
- Standard stereo is woeful.
- No space in the back.
- Small, awkward boot.
- Fair few common faults (electrical and mechanical).
- Uninspiring engine/exhaust noise, even when modified.
- Air con is not great and the motor is noisy.
- Ugly.
- DMF is heavy and spoils the engine 'livelyness'. Also pulling away the first few times when cold can be frustrating.
- Doors are ******* massive and the door handles are in the wrong place, made of plastic, and break.
- Awkward, expensive standard tyre size. (235/40/18).
Near enough all your cons for the MK1 are fixed in the MK2. Apart from mpg lol

Soldato
I didn't realise the tax on these was so high. £500+ is insane:eek: Pretty sure I was paying less for my M3, although that was a decade ago.

Back
Top Bottom