• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Soldato
Just because X58 supports triple channel RAM doesn't mean you have to use that feature. If it was a choice between 12 GiB of triple channel or 16 GiB of dual channel, the latter would be better for most people. Basically if your use case isn't bottlenecked by memory bandwidth, just get however much RAM you think you need.

Or what about triple channel, 24gb? Picked up for about £110

Soldato
Nice. I thought about doing that a few years ago when I upgraded from 2x3 GiB but decided I didn't need more than 16 GiB anyway. Ah, the days when 16 GiB of RAM was under £50.

Soldato
I'm going to be honest, I had an overclocked X5670 @ 4Ghz and it was struggling to feed my 980 ti. I can imagine it will have an even harder time for your 1080ti. So if I were you I'd think about if you want to invest in this system more money. Do some testing with MSI afterburner and see the usage numbers for yourself and ofcourse also the memory usage, I can imagine 6gb is not near enough.

What games did it struggle with?

I'm running a 1070 (so similar to a 980Ti) with a 3440x1440 monitor and EVERY single modern game I run, I am GPU bound (if it gets bound).

Not a one comes close to stressing the X5650 @ 4.4, not even close.

The only game I've seen where the usage across 12 threads approached 50-60% (and I wouldn't call that stressed out by any measure) was Assassins Creed Origins and by a lot of accounts that is due the Denuvo DRM it has.

I sometimes wish it would get CPU bound...that would give me an excuse to snag a juicy 3850X when they get released!

Soldato
Just what i was worried about, no one single answer that is correct and it leaves me with choices, i hate choices sometimes:D

To to clarify, i will be upgrading this system to a new AMD threadripper 3000 series cpu when they get released and so I thought I should breath some life into this system to keep me tided over till its launch in 6-7 months time. I did not want to spend £100 on ram just not worth it. I already have 16gb dd4 and ryzen 2700x but have decided to get rid of the system for now and save the money towards threadripper and save myself almost £500, if this current system did not perform well then i would have kept the ryzen. This X58 one does nearly everything i need.

I play at 4k and my tv only does 60hz and testing bf5 i seem to get mostly 60f with bf5 and nearly every other game i play has been above 60 frames. I know 60hz gaming is meh but my tv does not like frames above that, i get bad screen tearing so have to enable V sync. After some extensive testing it seem just my problem is RAM. Looking back now, it would have been better to buy 2x8gb and add an extra stick later but that would have still been nearly £100 on ram, did not want to spend more than £50 on this old system. So found 4gbx4 matched set for £45 which for me was just in budget. No point spending on this old system. I can always run them in 3x4gb in triple channel and 1x4gb in single channel in flexi mode, from my understanding it wont take much of a hit and could always add another 2 sticks if needed and save myself £60 from buying 3x8gb sticks.

Or I would run 3x4gb kingston and 3x2gb ocz i got now, but a problem I have is that the last stick wont fit because the cpu fan is in the way.

I am hoping i can get away with 12gb till new stuff is out, Lets see what happens, if not I will add that extra 4gb and hope it will tide me over in flexi mode.

I can get 4.4ghz but I need to put in 1.4v on the cpu and scared it might be much, what you guys think worh it? I thinking cpu are so cheap might be worth the risk just worried this old system will explode and kill my 1080ti lol. Another issue is that I ONLY have 1 cpu fan in push configuration and that is one of those sharkoon low noise 1000rpm fans.

but thanks for all the help everyone, i appreciate the feedback.

Last edited:
Soldato

I'm running a 1070 (so similar to a 980Ti) with a 3440x1440 monitor and EVERY single modern game I run, I am GPU bound (if it gets bound).

The only game I've seen where the usage across 12 threads approached 50-60% (and I wouldn't call that stressed out by any measure) was Assassins Creed Origins and by a lot of accounts that is due the Denuvo DRM it has.

I sometimes wish it would get CPU bound...that would give me an excuse to snag a juicy 3850X when they get released!
IMO the best way to know if you have a CPU bottleneck is actually to look at GPU usage rather than CPU usage. Assuming you're not using a frame limiter or VSync, it should be at around 100%. There are some (older) games where I see a single core riding at 80-90% and GPU usage is well below 100% even at max settings.

Associate
Have you checked your game settings in Bf5, as that could be limiting your FPS?
I had to paly around with mine and I now get anything between 80 and 130 (depending on map - I am same resolution as you, 1080Ti & X5675 CPU)

Soldato
after many hours of overclocking, i have managed to get 4.4ghz but need 1.438v-1.44 volts in the bios of a Gigabyte UD5 rev1. My temps after running prime95 cpu torture are about 87C I assume this is too hot for the chip 24-7. The NB frequency is 3200mhhz had to drop from 3800mhz default. QPI/Vtt is 1.295. The issue is that the system feels more sluggish than no overclock but its much faster in games, benching ect. Since both temps and volts are quite high I have decided on a new chip.

I have two choices, either I buy X5650 again FOR £12 and try for 4.4 with hopefully in the 1.35-1.4v range or buy X5670/X5680 and get better silicon lottery. They are both roughly £35-£40 so, i could buy 3-4 x5650 for 1 x5680.

good new the 16gb ram work just fine:D

So what should I purchase?

Associate
Hi guys wondering if you can help me I am struggling to get into my bios on my gigabyte x58a-ud3r it won't post press del like I always do never had a problem before

Now I run it at @4.2 but it crashed and lock the machine so I reset it and it failed to boost so it cycled 3 time and then reset the overclock

Now for the life of me I can't get into bios to reapply my overclock Now I've had this chip 2 year and this happens normally 1 or 2 times a month it would do this and I would just reapply It through bios

But I can't get into bios things I've tried cleared bios with the button at the back under usb I've taken the batter out for 8 hours I've used ever usb port I have on the machine

The del button works the pc work and boots fine it's just @3.0 and it's awful ha please help me I think maybe the boards on its way out

Need it to last till June going to get new ryzen cpu and new and gpu

I am trying to get hold of a ps2 keyboard to try see if I can get into bios with that

Thanks for reading

Soldato
does f12 work? could be corrupted bios, i would try PS/2 keyboard and if not try f12 to go into boot order mode and boot of usb ans try update the BIOS to either older or new bios.

did you unplug the machine from mains during these 8 hours, on my board it would mess up the overclock and do some weird thing where no output to screen but it not crash, new gfx did not work, neither did new pci slot. Bios reset would not work by pressing that button on the back, neither removing battery, i had to remove battery and unplug it from mains and leave like that for few hours.

Last edited:
Associate
i did turned power supply of at switch when i removed the battery ill try f12 later and let you know i updated to latest bios and still same ive tried 2 bios versions now using @BIOS ive read everthing i can find on the net hopfully i can buy a ps2 keyboard soon thanks for you help

Associate
Was the keyboard I tried another cheap usb keyboard from work and stright in no problem

My keyboard works fine once into windows just won't boot into bios well all fixed I'll just have to use this cheap one to load the bios when needed save me some money on new pc now

Thank you for all your help

Soldato
Was the keyboard I tried another cheap usb keyboard from work and stright in no problem

My keyboard works fine once into windows just won't boot into bios well all fixed I'll just have to use this cheap one to load the bios when needed save me some money on new pc now

Thank you for all your help

Glad it worked out in the end.:)

Stu

Stu

Soldato

I'm also running a 1070 at 3440x1440 and find the gfx card remains the bottleneck.

Search back through the thread... I recall doing some calculations and determined that a 1080Ti should be fine; however, there will always be some games that are heavily CPU dependent that will result in a CPU bottleneck, but these are in the minority... a lot depends on whether one of your favourite games is on this list.

Associate
Any legs in this ref the x58 platforms mysteriously losing performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PBZyyU8Xx0

Or is it the spectre microcode patching at work as suggested in a number of comments, what is the experience of current x58 users, noticed anything? I used to have one these beasts at 4.4ghz much earlier in the thread and was about to buy a dell workstation as a workhorse until I saw the above.

Back
Top Bottom