• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Associate
@ kelt tried those settings m8 but once again when I reboot or turn off the PC it keeps on checking memory and keeps on rebooting.

I've tried a slight overclock and it looks like a decent processor temps are staying pretty low, can't get the ram back up to 800mhz in the DRAM Frequency.

5x98jp.png

20f83mb.png

2pocl5y.png

Associate
Right I've been at it now for several hours and I've come to the conclusion I have 2 default sticks no matter what I try to do with any voltages the system will go in to a constant reboot every time I reboot the PC. I have just stuck 3 x 2GB OCZ (OCZ3G1333LV2G) and 3 x 2GB (CMX6GX3M3A1600C9) left it on default 1.5 volts and the PC will reboot perfectly fine when I shut it down it will boot up perfectly fine.

It is now showing 12GB & 11.5GB usable in Windows something I couldn't get 6 x2GB of the Corsair RAM to do.

Soldato
Right I've been at it now for several hours and I've come to the conclusion I have 2 default sticks no matter what I try to do with any voltages the system will go in to a constant reboot every time I reboot the PC. I have just stuck 3 x 2GB OCZ (OCZ3G1333LV2G) and 3 x 2GB (CMX6GX3M3A1600C9) left it on default 1.5 volts and the PC will reboot perfectly fine when I shut it down it will boot up perfectly fine.

It is now showing 12GB & 11.5GB usable in Windows something I couldn't get 6 x2GB of the Corsair RAM to do.

Glad you sorted it, Memtest will confirm (if you need to) any dodgy sticks.

Associate
@ kelt tried those settings m8 but once again when I reboot or turn off the PC it keeps on checking memory and keeps on rebooting.

I've tried a slight overclock and it looks like a decent processor temps are staying pretty low, can't get the ram back up to 800mhz in the DRAM Frequency.

5x98jp.png

20f83mb.png

2pocl5y.png

That NB frequency is pretty low, mine for instance is at 3100mhz. You could try 2800mhz with 700mhz on the DRAM frequency.

Soldato
I was wondering if could give me some advice.

I currently have 6GB OCZ ram in my x58 system and just managed to get it stable to 4.0ghz ( soon 4.4 just need to find stable settings) running with 1080ti and its struggling in some games, I suspect its the Ram 6GB is not enough, the game i get most problem with is BFV. My issue choosing ram and how much ram.

I was going to go for 4x8gb and just use 3 of the sticks, I had these in mind

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...annel-kit-tpkd316g1600hc11dc01-my-034-tg.html

But that would mean spending £160 on ram for such a old system and not worth spending that kind of money on such a old system.

I have two choice now, take the risk and buy mish mash ram. I cant get 2x8gb kingston ram and 1x8gb corsair vengeance ram but I am worried it might not work and that is still going to cost me £90.

or

I can buy 12gb triple channel kit 4GBx3 kit someone has, but is 12gb enough for gaming? I have read you can run flex mode where you can install a 4th stick of rum but have that in single channel and the other sticks in triple channel. If 12GB is enough then I wont bother with anything else as I will upgrading to threadripper soon as ryzen 3000 cpu are released.

So what would be best to do?

any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks all

Soldato
I was wondering if could give me some advice.

I currently have 6GB OCZ ram in my x58 system and just managed to get it stable to 4.0ghz ( soon 4.4 just need to find stable settings) running with 1080ti and its struggling in some games, I suspect its the Ram 6GB is not enough, the game i get most problem with is BFV. My issue choosing ram and how much ram.

I was going to go for 4x8gb and just use 3 of the sticks, I had these in mind

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...annel-kit-tpkd316g1600hc11dc01-my-034-tg.html

But that would mean spending £160 on ram for such a old system and not worth spending that kind of money on such a old system.

I have two choice now, take the risk and buy mish mash ram. I cant get 2x8gb kingston ram and 1x8gb corsair vengeance ram but I am worried it might not work and that is still going to cost me £90.

or

I can buy 12gb triple channel kit 4GBx3 kit someone has, but is 12gb enough for gaming? I have read you can run flex mode where you can install a 4th stick of rum but have that in single channel and the other sticks in triple channel. If 12GB is enough then I wont bother with anything else as I will upgrading to threadripper soon as ryzen 3000 cpu are released.

So what would be best to do?

any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks all

I upgraded from 12Gb to 24GB, mainly because I could and I got the RAM s/h so was cheap and wanted to see if I could run 6 x 4GB sticks (I can).

Blessed if I can tell the difference.

12GB should be fine, I never had any problems before I increased the size.

Soldato
16gb here, I’ve always run in Flex mode since I built the system. 4x4Gb Corsair. I tried triple channel at first with 12gb to see if there was much of a performance difference between three or four channels being populated but there wasn’t much difference as far as I could tell, not in daily use running a number of tasks. Never benched it to get pinpoint figures, wasn’t really interested.

Soldato
Thank you gents for the advice, appreciate it.

I found a really cheap quad channel pack 4x4gb, and will just use 3sticks for a total of 12GB.

16gb here, I’ve always run in Flex mode since I built the system. 4x4Gb Corsair. I tried triple channel at first with 12gb to see if there was much of a performance difference between three or four channels being populated but there wasn’t much difference as far as I could tell, not in daily use running a number of tasks. Never benched it to get pinpoint figures, wasn’t really interested.

I may give this a try if I find 12GB is not enough, its good to know someone is running the configuration.

I cant believe this old system is performing so well for being 10 years old. :)

Thanks all

Soldato
Thank you gents for the advice, appreciate it.

I found a really cheap quad channel pack 4x4gb, and will just use 3sticks for a total of 12GB.

I may give this a try if I find 12GB is not enough, its good to know someone is running the configuration.

I cant believe this old system is performing so well for being 10 years old. :)

Thanks all

Just stick the four sticks in (check the manual for the correct slots).

I ran 4 x 4Gb without any issues until I bought the final 2 sticks.

Vir

Vir

Associate
I'm going to be honest, I had an overclocked X5670 @ 4Ghz and it was struggling to feed my 980 ti. I can imagine it will have an even harder time for your 1080ti. So if I were you I'd think about if you want to invest in this system more money. Do some testing with MSI afterburner and see the usage numbers for yourself and ofcourse also the memory usage, I can imagine 6gb is not near enough.

Associate
I ran dual channel 2400mhz ram on mine (2x8gb) sticks running around 2100mhz iirc, but my system benched higher with 6x4GB Kingston boggo 1600mhz ram with non impressive timings.

I'd imagine that 1080ti will be bottlenecked by the CPU though as mine was slightly bottlenecked playing pubg for minimum FPS with a 1070ti. As others have said, might be time to look at upgrading the bare bones components at some point.

Soldato
Just because X58 supports triple channel RAM doesn't mean you have to use that feature. If it was a choice between 12 GiB of triple channel or 16 GiB of dual channel, the latter would be better for most people. Basically if your use case isn't bottlenecked by memory bandwidth, just get however much RAM you think you need.

Back
Top Bottom