Road Cycling

Associate
Think my PWM is dead. Boohoo! Powertap warranty is 2 years. I bought it Jan 31st 2017. Typical. :rolleyes:

Replaced battery a month ago (CR2032) and then it seemed to die again last week. No biggie, I thought some water ingres from a couple of wet rides and possibly a duff battery. Didn't get around to replacing it monday night as didn't think I had a battery but found one. No water found in unit. Still wasn't alive yesterday so assumed the battery I'd dug out of my saddlebag was duff, grabbed some new ones last night from the local shop (6 Kodak CR2032 for 50p! Bargain!) but still no life from it this morning.

Time to get an expensive quote from Powertap to service! Also means removing it and having to dig out some other chainrings before able to send it away, also if I'm sending it away seems silly not to get them to replace the worn rings on it. So looking at £200+ cost at least. Gah! Part of me hopes they offer me a discount on some pedals rather than a replacement.
now you got me worried! i just bought a secondhand set from ebay. going to find out this weekend when i get it fitted!!

Soldato

One sided, not compatible with my cranks and wrong length! ;)

Appreciate the input though. To be fair the 4iiii and Stages single sided crankarm are the route I would take for the turbo bike as that's running 105/5800.

The Diverge being Specialized 'OSBB' and using the Praxis BB (a kind of PF30) makes options limited. The ideal solution to it, I would go for on the 'new' bike (ideally going Specialized Tarmac) and I would say my budget wouldn't stretch as far as buying two of them...! ;)

To be fair I really want a Tarmac disc, but when the Canyon Aeroad CF SL Disc is £1800 the Tarmac frame at ~£3000 is never really an unappealing price (the Canyon also includes integrated bars & stem!).

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/tools/bike-comparison/#biketype=1&bike1=4430&bike2=4239 - only 200g penalty for the Ultegra Di2 CF SL over the DA Di2 CF SLX. Different wheels though, maybe those cometes are super light and the DT's super heavy?

2 mornings of destroyed fence panels is not helping my new bike fund...

now you got me worried! i just bought a secondhand set from ebay. going to find out this weekend when i get it fitted!!
Should've posted in here about it and I'd have given my input! Can still provide if you want, you know I have an opinion on most things...! ;)

Great PWM but very limited/flawed in a few fundamental ways... There's also a reason Powertap are the only people who've produced one, then various reasons they've removed it from retail outlets and moved to a direct to consumer model (which is showing as out of stock on their website). Also why very few of the Powertap registered/partnered repair centres only repair hubs & pedals... To me it really feels like they've phased it out.

Last edited:
Associate
yea, tbh i bought it because i need to replace my chainrings not because i need a dual sided power meter. I was going to get a left-side power meter but then this set came up. I actually dont have high hope for the reliability just because i see FSA printed every where on the product. lol. we will see.....weekend soon enough!

Soldato
Derren Midson anyone from here? Got a random follow request.

yea, tbh i bought it because i need to replace my chainrings not because i need a dual sided power meter. I was going to get a left-side power meter but then this set came up. I actually dont have high hope for the reliability just because i see FSA printed every where on the product. lol. we will see.....weekend soon enough!

What did you pay for it? I've found mine accurate and reliable. Main pointer which I think has helped mine the last 2 years - smearing waterproof grease around the internal of the battery housing. It's really stopped moisture getting in there, which if you read around forums is one of the major design flaws & faults people find kills their units. For the £650 I paid for mine, I'd say it was overpriced and there where better options (crank arm). The revised £350-400 is a damn good price. For a 'do everything, every weather' bike like mine the FSA rings have not worn well, my Strava gear shows they've done nearly 7000 miles and at a guess I'll have shifting issues before 10k. Battery life is nowhere near '200 hours' as quoted, so stock up on a supply of those. I've been using the cheapy 'buy as 10 for a few quid' Panasonic's and found they last appox 2 months (700-800 miles-ish).

In other news, had a close pass last night while towing the chariot. Busy road but totally clear when the coffin dodger overtook while leaning on his horn. Dread to think how close he was to my 1.5 year old behind in the chariot! So ignorant and stupid! :mad:

Last edited:
Soldato
@Roady my Rapha bibs arrived today, M and they seem a good fit but have a different strap setup to what I’m used to - that seems fairly tight on my shoulders but still has some stretch to it - does that sound normal or an indication I should go for the L size?

Soldato
The straps on the Core are very different to most. They feel much wider, but I found they seem to sit 'flatter' and not bunch up like the other thinner type mesh fabrics. I like them, they seem to stretch and support well, without bunching or feeling tight.

Do some squats with them in to get a feel for it without sweating in them. Or just sit on your bike/turbo. You don't need to move around & sweat from pedalling to get an idea for how the straps will behave - ideally the straps won't be moving as you pedal anyway!

Welcome to the cameltoe of chamois! :D ;)

Associate
Derren Midson anyone from here? Got a random follow request.

What did you pay for it? I've found mine accurate and reliable. Main pointer which I think has helped mine the last 2 years - smearing waterproof grease around the internal of the battery housing. It's really stopped moisture getting in there, which if you read around forums is one of the major design flaws & faults people find kills their units. For the £650 I paid for mine, I'd say it was overpriced and there where better options (crank arm). The revised £350-400 is a damn good price. For a 'do everything, every weather' bike like mine the FSA rings have not worn well, my Strava gear shows they've done nearly 7000 miles and at a guess I'll have shifting issues before 10k. Battery life is nowhere near '200 hours' as quoted, so stock up on a supply of those. I've been using the cheapy 'buy as 10 for a few quid' Panasonic's and found they last appox 2 months (700-800 miles-ish).

In other news, had a close pass last night while towing the chariot. Busy road but totally clear when the coffin dodger overtook while leaning on his horn. Dread to think how close he was to my 1.5 year old behind in the chariot! So ignorant and stupid! :mad:
i paid 230 for mine. It was used but wear is minimal. all the teeth and the coating are mostly in good shape. the seller included a few spare batteries and mentioend the battery is indeed abit pants. Thanks for all the tips by the way! :D

I'm putting this on my commuter bike which i do 20 miles per day but i only do 2 days a week on my own bike. I use the TFL (Boris bike) bikes for other days, or take the train if it's too wet. the chainrings should last me decent amount of time. Plus im planning to even the wears between inner and outer ring to maximise the service life lol.

Soldato
Any reason you're not considering pedal based power meter options Roady?

Pedal mechanisms wear out quicker than chainrings. I also have no current requirement to transfer it between bikes... But good call, if they offer me a discount on a set of P1 or P2 then that would also suit with future bike scenario!

i paid 230 for mine. It was used but wear is minimal. all the teeth and the coating are mostly in good shape. the seller included a few spare batteries and mentioend the battery is indeed abit pants. Thanks for all the tips by the way! :D

I'm putting this on my commuter bike which i do 20 miles per day but i only do 2 days a week on my own bike. I use the TFL (Boris bike) bikes for other days, or take the train if it's too wet. the chainrings should last me decent amount of time. Plus im planning to even the wears between inner and outer ring to maximise the service life lol.
Good price! It is very much 'fit & forget', being very reliable. Something I read said it does it's own zero offsets when coasting but when mine has drifted out I've never been able to get it to self-zero. But then it might be doing it as I've found it so consistent I've only needed to manual-zero every month/6 weeks or so, usually only noticing it with wide temperature shifts (cold mornings & sunny afternoons).

I've ridden mine all weathers and it's really taken some abuse with my commuting (several junctions & stop-start). I would say the FSA rings have worn better than the FSA rings on a Gossamer crankset which came on a Giant Defy 2015. I've kept on top of my chain wear to hopefully prolong chainring life. I've mostly used SRAM PC1130 chains and at £14 a pop I consider them a consumable - regularly changing before they've done 3000 miles. Now my rings are quite worn I've played with the idea of changing them, but they've not got 'bad' enough yet to get a quote for it. I've heard replacement rings cost ~£200 and the calibration can only be done by Powertap service centres when changing them, which I'm guesstimating as costing £50-100. So at the moment I've got a decision on spending £250-300 minimum to get mine working - hopefully within that service cost them being able to diagnose and repair whatever fault mine has.

It's been a great little unit, but at £650 and the ~£200 chainring every 3-4 year cost I would warn people away from them. Dual sided cranks and pedals may cost more initially, but longer term will cost less. A lower cost at £350 new (think that's the deal price Powertap where selling them for directly?) and £200 every 3-4 years they're much more feasible and I would say reliable and accurate enough. Part of me was hoping Powertap would continue to revise them, coming out with a crank spider option where you could use your own rings. Think Quarq pretty much have that nailed now though, so would be tough to compete. With the delay releasing the P2 (and with it really having nothing new) and them never doing a P1S upgrade (as they promised) Powertap have been very quiet the last few years. Also seemingly pulling the C1 from their lineup & considering they're one of the original affordable powermeter companies, they might be struggling. Owned by Saris though (who also own CycleOps) so still one of the main American player in several accessory markets.

Wow that's really good, and you get brakes as well... dammit... I love that blue black fade!
You don't get brakes, just frame, integrated cockpit & seatpost.

Yeah it's Movistar team colours, which I'm not a fan of the team, but the bikes look fantastic! ;) :cool:

Soldato
I'd have been going nuts which I'm sure you were. People are so stupid and oblivious to the danger the present.

Soldato
my bad, I scrolled through and got to the rim brake version which does! Still a very good deal!
Pffft, nobody rides rim brakes any more! ;) :D :lol:

I'd have been going nuts which I'm sure you were. People are so stupid and oblivious to the danger the present.
Lets just say it's good that my camera doesn't pick up audio very well. Was also much gesturing and arm waving of course!

Soldato
To be fair I really want a Tarmac disc, but when the Canyon Aeroad CF SL Disc is £1800 the Tarmac frame at ~£3000 is never really an unappealing price (the Canyon also includes integrated bars & stem!).

I realllllllllly like the look of the blue fade on the 7.0 but they don't do it on the 8.0 which does in fact have a lovely silver but I can MyO an Orbea to be quite similar.

I'm not sold on my new bars as yet, they slipped when I tested them against a speed bump even though I set them to 5nm....will mess about until I find a happy position.

Back
Top Bottom