What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
I'm entirely with Raymond Lin here

I value my time, I drop TV shows like a stone if they are a pile of crap. But I can count on one hand the amount of movies I didn't watch until the very end because they were ****, and even then I watched to the halfway mark.

I challenge you with
'The counsellor'
or however they spelled it.
Awful film with a large generally great cast.
Took me three sittings but eventually made my way through it.
Utterly awful.

Associate
Dumbo (2019) - 4/10

The elephant is really cute and there are some scenes which are quite emotional, but after the initial flight, there’s little amazement or awe to see.

Visually it looks very good but overall, I found it a cold and dark experience, especially when it shifted from the family run circus to the corporation style theme park with its art deco design and stereotypical villains.

There isn’t much fun or joy to be had in this story of abandonment and change, and the acting isn’t particularly great either.

Associate
I challenge you with
'The counsellor'
or however they spelled it.
Awful film with a large generally great cast.
Took me three sittings but eventually made my way through it.
Utterly awful.

I agree - it's an overly convoluted story of a simple plot which is basically a drug deal gone wrong. Lots of style but little substance – the lavish sets, big stars and tons of irrelevant facts make it a slog rather than entertaining or tense. 3/10

Soldato
Watched Mirage on Netflix the other day.

Decent film if you can get around the fact its dubbed in English as its a Spanish made film.
Best tip is to just not concentrate too much on the mouths. The dubbed voices fit the characters so it's not too distracting.

Very similar to the film Frequency in that its about changing events in the past that affect the current timeline.

Soldato
The possession of hannah grace 6/10

Had very low expectations of this, but was actually a pretty decent little low budget horror film. Pretty creepy and atmospheric with a few jump scares thrown in. Worth a watch if you like this type of film.

Man of Honour
Dumbo (2019) - 4/10

The elephant is really cute and there are some scenes which are quite emotional, but after the initial flight, there’s little amazement or awe to see.

Visually it looks very good but overall, I found it a cold and dark experience, especially when it shifted from the family run circus to the corporation style theme park with its art deco design and stereotypical villains.

There isn’t much fun or joy to be had in this story of abandonment and change, and the acting isn’t particularly great either.
The original is an utterly miserable experience - I’m not expecting the remake to be any jollier!

Caporegime
Dumbo (2019) - 4/10

My wife was in tears, personally I got very little from it emotionally, and I'm usually a sucker for animals in jeopardy.

Usual Burton stuff, style over substance, characters with no real depth and Danny Elfman being used overbearingly to try to do the emotional heavy lifting for him.

The boy barely registered and the girl was really dreadful.

I would maybe stretch to 5/10 for the visuals but that's being generous.

Last edited:
Associate
The Predator

This is one of the worst films I have ever sat through and I've sat through Independence Day.
Yeah, it has enough gore to make children feel more adult, enough military uniforms to be a recruitment tool for Sn1p0r f0rc3 or spank bank for men who love men in uniform.

However, it's a real crap film. Plot is naff, editing is all over the place and glaring inconsistencies abound. I'm not going to put spoilers in as I cannot be bothered, being on a phone. Just steer clear.

Absolute tosh.

PS: really, it is.

PPS: yay, on a computer and I feel like venting my spleen.

Okay, the whole premise of a good alien trying to stop man's doom with a transformer and the bad alien trying to become autistic is bloody insane. I mean, wha? Exploitation at its finest. "Hey, lets bang an aspie kid in" (apparently the director's mate likes to bang kids as well, his scene was removed), show how genius he is and patronise the film watchers and people with a quite evidently debilitating condition world over. However, "hey, guise, these people are genius amirite?" Jesus, damn and Hellfire damnation, how can somebody be such a knuckle-dragger and be given responsibility?

What a waste of time, money and electricity. I'd rather the efforts have been made to direct a sequel to his famously nuanced Rambo on the Titanic.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This is one of the worst films I have ever sat through and I've sat through Independence Day.
Yeah, it has enough gore to make children feel more adult, enough military uniforms to be a recruitment tool for Sn1p0r f0rc3 or spank bank for men who love men in uniform.

However, it's a real crap film. Plot is naff, editing is all over the place and glaring inconsistencies abound. I'm not going to put spoilers in as I cannot be bothered, being on a phone. Just steer clear.

Absolute tosh.

PS: really, it is.

PPS: yay, on a computer and I feel like venting my spleen.

Okay, the whole premise of a good alien trying to stop man's doom with a transformer and the bad alien trying to become autistic is bloody insane. I mean, wha? Exploitation at its finest. "Hey, lets bang an aspie kid in" (apparently the director's mate likes to bang kids as well, his scene was removed), show how genius he is and patronise the film watchers and people with a quite evidently debilitating condition world over. However, "hey, guise, these people are genius amirite?" Jesus, damn and Hellfire damnation, how can somebody be such a knuckle-dragger and be given responsibility?

What a waste of time, money and electricity. I'd rather the efforts have been made to direct a sequel to his famously nuanced Rambo on the Titanic.

That's all very well, but I have no idea what film you are on about

Soldato
Kill Bill 1 and 2.
Amazingly I don't think I'd ever really watched them before, but must have been in the right frame of mind because I enjoyed them!

My wife is hassling me to see Dumbo at the cinema but I'm not much of a Tim Burton fan and I suspect it will just be a miserable experience.

Associate
I’ve merged your posts, reducing your count by 12 posts. Please don’t spam, or you risk a ban.

;)

Thanks Ted, I'll be sure to tell Dougal to consiildate 17.2 hours of 'What film did you watch last night' filems into one singlular post.. heaven forbid this increases the old post count.

Anyways check out Bohemian Rhapsody - simply wow 10/10 say no more :D

Soldato
The Predator

This is one of the worst films I have ever sat through and I've sat through Independence Day....

If you are referring to the 1995 Independence Day, then I assume you haven't seen the sequel, Resurgence; and if you were referring to Resurgence, then I feel your pain.

The Predator does look woefully bad though.

Associate
Get Out - 7/10

Enjoyed where it went. The side story with the friend felt slightly out of place which I think was detrimental to the flow of the film. Other than that, a decent film with an interesting premise.

Associate
If you are referring to the 1995 Independence Day, then I assume you haven't seen the sequel, Resurgence; and if you were referring to Resurgence, then I feel your pain.

The Predator does look woefully bad though.
I was referring to the '95 Independance Day. I have zero,aybe less than zero, intentions of watching the sequel.

Please, be merciful on yourself and swerve The Predator. Even my wife thought it was naff and she watches an astounding amount of nonsense.

However, I liked Aquaman as it had giant, fire-chucking battle crabs. So, I cannot say much...

Associate
Love, Death & Robots on Netflix.

Definitely a good 8/10 from me and something worth checking out as most of the stories are only 10 - 15 minutes and quite amazing!

Soldato
Get Out - 7/10

Enjoyed where it went. The side story with the friend felt slightly out of place which I think was detrimental to the flow of the film. Other than that, a decent film with an interesting premise.

I really liked the juxtaposition between the comedic element of the friend and the main story.

I went to see Us last night and it's also excellent and has a similar vibe. Mr Peele is a very exciting director.

Caporegime
The Dirt - Netflix

7/10

I enjoyed this a lot more than Bohemian Rhapsody, even though the music isn't as good (not really a fan of glam metal). It seems to have gotten withering reviews but their lifestyle's made for more interesting drama.

As I'm not as familiar with Motley Crue I wasn't really bothered how accurate the portrayal of the band members was.

Back
Top Bottom