**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Soldato
I've started noticing a few odd issues with my Pixel 2. A couple of times when I switch off my phone for travel, I struggle to get it to switch on again. I eventually managed an hour after arriving at my destination and holding the power button for what must have been close to a full minute. Once booted, the button works as expected.

2nd thing today, the phone shutdown with approx 6% battery remaining. I plugged it into the charger and switched back on and counting up from 2% to 9% took less than a minute. A percent every few seconds I would say. I know it's got fast charge but surely not that quick?

Soldato
Oh and forgot to mention I too noticed the charge cable was quite loose in the port. Decided to dig away at it with a cable tie cut down to a good point. Surprised how much compressed fluff actually came out of it considering it looked quite clean. Hopefully it will feel more snug.

Associate
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Weirdly my phone was complete cack for the first year but currently working better than it ever has so quite the opposite.

Cleaning the charging port is a good idea though I've not had any problems charging since I did that (bar the cold charging issue)

Associate
So, after my phone yet again unlocked itself in my pocket, I've reached the end of my tether with it.

I do wonder if its due to me catching the fingerprint reader with my finger while my hand is in my pocket, so I have had the idea. As my phone is always in my right hand pocket, I've disabled the fingerprint for my right hand, and am now going to use my left hand finger to unlock it. I'm sure it'll be annoying as h*ll till I get used to it but I figure that if this doesn't stop it then there really is some kind of serious issue with this phone. I've got the phone set to lock instantly when the screen goes off, turned off the squeeze assistant thing when the screen has turned off and turned off the OK Google thing (its useless anyway).

I'll report back to see if it works.

I really really hope the next Pixel does away with the fingerprint and goes to a FaceID type system but I'm sure I'm going to be disappointed.

Soldato
I do wonder if its due to me catching the fingerprint reader with my finger while my hand is in my pocket
Surely this isn't an issue with the phone. I've done that before so I just don't walk with my hands in my pockets or if I do I make sure not to touch the area with the sensor.

Just seems a bit ott to blame the phone for doing it's job!

Soldato
I tried to turn off ok Google on my phone as it seems to be getting more false activations. It still does it when the screen is off so obviously still listening.

I had more battery woes the other day. Battery dropped from 100% to 20% over 8-9 hrs. Screen on time was approx 1hr 20 mins. This was on WiFi only and airplane mode active.
Checking app usage had chrome at 2% at the top with 34 minutes usage.
The next day I had 7hrs 50 minutes of SOT with the phone disconnected from the charger for 18hrs and about 12% remaining.

Associate
Surely this isn't an issue with the phone. I've done that before so I just don't walk with my hands in my pockets or if I do I make sure not to touch the area with the sensor.

Just seems a bit ott to blame the phone for doing it's job!

I don't know for sure if that's what's causing it, but it seems by far the most likely scenario.

Its not OTT to blame the phone though, it should have a mechanism to prevent this sort of thing, such as the OnePlus' pocket mode.

I can easily live with this workaround though. It's honestly one of the few gripes I have left about this phone as am otherwise very happy with it, just took a very long time to get to this stage...

Associate
Well I can confirm that it has to have been me accidentally unlocking the phone, as I have now lived with it for a month with my fingerprint from my right hand deleted and it has never unlocked since. Only 5% of the time is it inconvenient not to have my right index finger registered now that I'm used to it. I still hope the 4 / 4XL has FaceID type system instead though but I wont hold my breath :)

Associate
What are the screens like on the newer versions, I am thinking of getting from Argos but remember how trash the screens where when this device came out?

Associate
What are the screens like on the newer versions, I am thinking of getting from Argos but remember how trash the screens where when this device came out?

They're still LG panels at the end of the day but I find the complaints a bit laughable to be honest, I have 2XL and my GF has an S9+ and her screen is better but the 2XL screen still looks pretty good even so, in my opinion. Not classing leading, no, but definitely good enough for the vast majority of the population.

Associate
They're still LG panels at the end of the day but I find the complaints a bit laughable to be honest, I have 2XL and my GF has an S9+ and her screen is better but the 2XL screen still looks pretty good even so, in my opinion. Not classing leading, no, but definitely good enough for the vast majority of the population.
Cheers

I did have one when they first came out & the screen was grainy & very bad blue tint.

I wondered if both had been eliminated in the later built models.

Associate
Cheers

I did have one when they first came out & the screen was grainy & very bad blue tint.

I wondered if both had been eliminated in the later built models.

I mean mine had a bit of blue tint when I first got it, but I either can't see it anymore or its resolved on its own (or maybe using the saturated profile helps to eliminate it). If I look REALLY closely I can see a little bit of paper like grain on whites but I really have to look hard to see it and I have pretty good eyes.

Actually my main complaint about the screen is just how dull the colours were in the standard profile and even though I've tried to get used to this, I just don't like it! The side effect being photos end up looking over-saturated on the screen but fine on any other display.

Weirdly, the standard colour profile is for me far too dull when using the UI but when viewing photos its about perfect. Obviously all this isn't a deal breaker for me but better to try and be honest about these things.

Associate
Is blue tint normal on the Pixel 2 (non XL)?

I've just bought one from Argos. The screen appears very "shimmery" when displaying a white background. Holding the screen perfectly still and perpendicular to my eye it looks fine but tilting it in any direction causes causes a blue tint to move across the screen.

I knew the Pixel 2 XL had screen problems but I read these were not supposed to affect the non XL version. Looking at some youtube videos it looks similar but not as dark a blue shift.

Focussing on the centre of the screen and using a protractor if I angle the top of the phone towards me I start seeing a blue band at the bottom from around 10 degrees off perpendicular. Even before reaching this angle the colour doesn't feel stable.

Reading ebooks is doing my head in as the white background is forever shifting between blues and whites depending on where I focus on the screen or if the phone moves relative to my head.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
It was only an issue on the 2XL as far as I remember. smaller one's screen was made by a different company IIRC.

Associate
It was only an issue on the 2XL as far as I remember. smaller one's screen was made by a different company IIRC.
That's what I thought too. The big ones are made by LG and the small ones by Samsung.

I'm trying to work out if what I'm seeing is a normal thing for OLEDs or if I've just got a duff one before deciding whether to take it back for an exchange or refund. I really like the rest of the phone.

Associate
That's what I thought too. The big ones are made by LG and the small ones by Samsung.

I'm trying to work out if what I'm seeing is a normal thing for OLEDs or if I've just got a duff one before deciding whether to take it back for an exchange or refund. I really like the rest of the phone.

The smaller one is AMOLED though isn't it. The XL is P-OLED

Associate
I got a replacement Pixel 2 today and it exhibits exactly the same problem. The screen is visibly tinted blue when viewed off axis.

I'm not sure what to think. Am I just overly sensitive and all of them do this? I can't find any complaints by Pixel 2 owners.

Back
Top Bottom