**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Soldato
Hi DJMK4 - how did you get on with this?

Just as I was starting to think I had a good phone that I was going to keep for a long time, it would appear that the latest in a long line of glitches since I got this phone is that it will now decide whether it wants to charge or not, and if it does, it will decide how fast it will charge.

Last week there was one or two instances where I plugged in overnight to find it still sitting at around the same percentage in the morning.

Yesterday I really hammered it through the day so when I got home I decided to top it up as I anticipated using it again in the evening to play some music. After 45 minutes of being on charge, it went from 25-28%. Pathetic. I plugged it back in again and left it for half an hour and it went up to 42% (after it had dropped once more to 26%).

So it was again 26% when I plugged it in at bed time and left it charging overnight, verifying that it was plugged in correctly and charging, and yet in the morning it had only managed to reach 90% after 8 hours of charging.

So essentially, I am left with a phone at (a) I don't know if it will charge at all when I plug it in and leave it, (b) if it does charge, I don't know how far it will charge and (c) I cannot rely on fast charging it for a quick boost because a sizeable percentage of the time it refuses to fast charge (or charge at all).

I have already cleaned the charging port and fairly recently did a factory reset so I'm running out of options of things I can do myself.

So... I bought the thing through mobiles.co.uk - so I have no idea what my warranty rights are, the phone is about 14 months old... although frankly the idea of a free iPhone XR through work is getting ever more tempting :(

Charging wise. I think it's ok. Rapid charging is hit and miss. And it does sometimes charge slow.

I have an issue with earphones using the USB-c port though. If I move the phone slightly it activates a feature on my phone interuppting the audio. Something which I had on a previous phone..

The USB-C charge ports are really flimsey . Using it for audio is a pain.. may try get some Bluetooth earphones but Im not a fan of Bluetooth due to quality loss disconnections and also battery drain

Soldato
Charging wise. I think it's ok. Rapid charging is hit and miss. And it does sometimes charge slow.

I have an issue with earphones using the USB-c port though. If I move the phone slightly it activates a feature on my phone interuppting the audio. Something which I had on a previous phone..

The USB-C charge ports are really flimsey . Using it for audio is a pain.. may try get some Bluetooth earphones but Im not a fan of Bluetooth due to quality loss disconnections and also battery drain

Please star this thread if you haven't already https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/115708451
I have had this issue since I first got this phone, I have had 3 Pixel 2xl's, 4 Google Adaptors & 1 HTC adaptor. Nothing sorts it.

Associate
Well I cleaned my charging port again yesterday. Got a bit more debris out again. Used a small cable tie and cut the end with scissors so it was sharp and it worked well. Charged ok last night. Will see how it goes. Would really rather not replace this phone if I can help it.

Edit: Spoke too soon - jinxed myself well and truly. It sitting here now on 25%, saying “Charging rapidly” and has been for the last 20 minutes. :(

Last edited:
Associate
Reporting back on the charging issue, I actually believe it might be the stock charger (or the cable but I don’t have another to test it). For some reason I can get it to cut out quite easily if plugged in one way but its fine the other way. However, I did try a USB-C laptop charger and it does click in much more securely and I can’t get that to cut out so I suspect it might be that. If it is then I’m relieved.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
Anyone on Three check if WiFi calling now works with latest Feb update? It works on pixel 3 so was just curious.

Thanks.
I can't tell you that but I know my Three app does not work. I uninstalled it and cleared cache and still didn't work after reinstalling it. Used the live chat thing that popped up and the bloke told me a lot of Three services for down for maintenance at the moment :confused:

Soldato
I can't tell you that but I know my Three app does not work. I uninstalled it and cleared cache and still didn't work after reinstalling it. Used the live chat thing that popped up and the bloke told me a lot of Three services for down for maintenance at the moment :confused:

are you on the latest Feb update mate? if so and the P2 supports Wifi Calling you should be able to find the option for in the Phone app, switch it on, then switch Aeroplane mode on and switch wifi on (manually) and Wifi Calling should work ;)

Associate
Looks like I have the dreaded USB c port problem. I have to wiggle it around to get it to charge. Absolute joke.
Are all USB c ports like this or just on this phone.

Associate
Looks like I have the dreaded USB c port problem. I have to wiggle it around to get it to charge. Absolute joke.
Are all USB c ports like this or just on this phone.

I think my original charging cable has a problem, as it only charges when in one way and I brought home a laptop charger (USB-C) and that actually works better...

You may, as I've previously said, need to clean the port. I would recommend getting a small and thin plastic cable tie, and cutting the end with scissors to make a sharp end, and then getting it in there and getting all of the fluff and debris out.

I also STILL have the problem of slow cold charging, making getting a quick top up impossible.

On another note, how do people find the GPS on these phones, in particular, as a pedestrian to trying to navigate a heavily built up city? Mine was hopeless yesterday in Manchester, regularly losing the GPS signal and sending me around in circles. I am now wondering, how do other phones perform in this respect?

I am getting to the end of my tether. My girlfriend is after a new phone to replace her S7 and spotted a P2XL for free and £28 a month, and she does like mine, but I had to be honest and say there are too many issues and compromises to be able to recommend this phone.

If the GPS is a known weak spot of these phones, then it's just going to add fuel to the fire of getting rid. The iPhone is just looking more and more appealing right now. I'm sick of stupid little issues now and its got to the point where I'm even considering taking a hit and ending my contract early. I know I will never buy another Pixel device unless they get a decent manufacturer to start building them.

Edit: I'd just like to hear from people who have moved on from the Pixel 2 / 2XL and what you got and how you've found it afterwards, if you're willing to share. In the interests of not de-railing the thread, I'm happy for you to PM me, if anyone is willing to share. Thanks.

Last edited:
Associate
Cloud flare dns is broke on this update. I just had to turn it off as it said could not connect in the settings.
Weird, WhatsApp works but cannot use chrome or anything else .
This was on mobile data, I think it was so working whilst on WiFi.

Back
Top Bottom