**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Associate
Already got it - not noticed any differences though.

My only real bugbear left with this phone now is it still seems to wake up in my pocket and start pressing things, unless I'm doing something wrong.

Associate
AND.... I spoke too soon.... Google photos now refuses to display all my photos. I went for a walk at lunch time and took a bunch of pictures, but now only 4 of them appear on Google Photos (I took 16 photos). They are there as I can see them in QuickPic. Cleared the cache, restarted, but no, it resolutely refuses to display them. *sigh*

Soldato
So.after getting my pixel 2xl in Oct 2018. I am very gentle with the phone and especially around the.charge port as I know they can be flimsey

Well it seems that.the charge port is possibly coming loose. It feels wobbley and loose

Can I do anything about this? I have not moved it agressivly, not yanked it. I hate these charge ports as it feels like they are not secure inside and question the soldering joints.

Soldato
So.after getting my pixel 2xl in Oct 2018. I am very gentle with the phone and especially around the.charge port as I know they can be flimsey

Well it seems that.the charge port is possibly coming loose. It feels wobbley and loose

Can I do anything about this? I have not moved it agressivly, not yanked it. I hate these charge ports as it feels like they are not secure inside and question the soldering joints.

I'm super careful with all my phones and twice now the only part that's been problematic is the charge port (that's a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and a Note 4). To that end, I moved over to wireless charging and haven't looked back. For the Pixel 2 XL I use one of those small USB-C to wireless antennae that fits neatly in a spigen slim case. I have a wireless desk charger at work and at the bedside, and even now fitted one in the car, which we use for my Wife's iPhone X and my phones.. My charge port is obviously seeing no real use and it's keep the dust out as well!

Associate

You could use one of those magnetic chargers. Once plugged into the phone, you done have to remove it. I have never used one so can't vouch for how well they work/charge the battery.

Associate
Ahh cool thanks I will check that out :)

Yes you can do something about your charging port. Clean it. Get a very fine needle like a sewing needle and scrape all the fluff and junk out of it and it'll be good as new.

Weird but completely harmless bug is now occasionally when I unlock a little white circle is on the screen where the search bar is and it fades out after a couple of seconds. Anyone else seen this?

Soldato
Mine is going to be RMA'd if I cannot resolve an issue with cleaning the port carefully .

As of today (nothing has happened) I can charge but plugging in the supplied usb-c to 3.5mm headphone jack there is no audio..

Plug in charger it works fine. Have ruled out a new pair of earphones

This is the last time I'm going to purchase a phone without a dedicated 3.5mm or dedicated audio jack if I can help it

Soldato
Maybe take a look at Bluetooth options? I wouldn't be surprised if the headphone jack is gone in 2 or 3 years.

Possibly will do for now however have heard reported loss of quality, connection and battery drain on bluetooth.

It's the only real gripe I have with the phone so far. Rest is fine

Last edited:
Associate
Mine is going to be RMA'd if I cannot resolve an issue with cleaning the port carefully .

As of today (nothing has happened) I can charge but plugging in the supplied usb-c to 3.5mm headphone jack there is no audio..

Plug in charger it works fine. Have ruled out a new pair of earphones

This is the last time I'm going to purchase a phone without a dedicated 3.5mm or dedicated audio jack if I can help it

Hi DJMK4 - how did you get on with this?

Just as I was starting to think I had a good phone that I was going to keep for a long time, it would appear that the latest in a long line of glitches since I got this phone is that it will now decide whether it wants to charge or not, and if it does, it will decide how fast it will charge.

Last week there was one or two instances where I plugged in overnight to find it still sitting at around the same percentage in the morning.

Yesterday I really hammered it through the day so when I got home I decided to top it up as I anticipated using it again in the evening to play some music. After 45 minutes of being on charge, it went from 25-28%. Pathetic. I plugged it back in again and left it for half an hour and it went up to 42% (after it had dropped once more to 26%).

So it was again 26% when I plugged it in at bed time and left it charging overnight, verifying that it was plugged in correctly and charging, and yet in the morning it had only managed to reach 90% after 8 hours of charging.

So essentially, I am left with a phone at (a) I don't know if it will charge at all when I plug it in and leave it, (b) if it does charge, I don't know how far it will charge and (c) I cannot rely on fast charging it for a quick boost because a sizeable percentage of the time it refuses to fast charge (or charge at all).

I have already cleaned the charging port and fairly recently did a factory reset so I'm running out of options of things I can do myself.

So... I bought the thing through mobiles.co.uk - so I have no idea what my warranty rights are, the phone is about 14 months old... although frankly the idea of a free iPhone XR through work is getting ever more tempting :(

Back
Top Bottom