What have you done to your car today?

Man of Honour
Second service in the Jetta this year, 17k miles covered since mid November :eek:

Washed the Jetta and the Mini.

Stared at the pile of new bits to fit the MX5, decided can't be bothered to do any more today

Soldato
Added a baffle to the exhaust. Probably lost some midrange HP but it makes having a conversation in the car possible again. Much cheaper than shelling out for a new system at this stage. Road side sound test was very positive, looking at a 20db drop using a handheld sound meter 1m a 45' (same one before/after).

Caporegime
You still got the BananaSaab-stra @andy_mk3 ?

Also this oil filter removal tool works excellently for undoing and re-torquing filters and housings. I've used it where other types of tool have failed, including chain wrenches, strap wrenches, oil filter sockets, hammers & screwdrivers, and similar but flat-legged rotary tools. Ignore the stupid review.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BERGEN-ADJUSTABLE-Filter-Wrench-Remover/dp/B01FFR6W72

Soldato
Added a baffle to the exhaust. Probably lost some midrange HP but it makes having a conversation in the car possible again. Much cheaper than shelling out for a new system at this stage. Road side sound test was very positive, looking at a 20db drop using a handheld sound meter 1m a 45' (same one before/after).

conversations are for wussies as my s2000 with a hks single exit would say... :D

Soldato
conversations are for wussies as my s2000 with a hks single exit would say... :D

99% of the time it is just me in the car, but when I can't have a conversation with myself you know it's too loud :D

cosb_001.jpg

Redneck engineering, concept has worked great for noise loss but power has dropped slightly, might look at widening the fins to allow more flow on mk2

cosb_002.jpg

Straightest bit of exhaust closest to the rear of the car after the resonators

cosb_003.jpg

Snug fit thanks to the kink in the exhaust, no movement/vibration so far. Not welded in

Caporegime
No chance.

I'm not saying its a handling machine, I've had nice handling cars before, MX5's, one of which had sticky tyres and coilovers, the T-Sport with coilovers and Pilot Sports was a bit of a weapon too!

This doesn't come anywhere near them, I'm just saying I was surprised. I was expecting it to be completely hopeless, but its not.

Its a million times better than say, the Octavia, despite the Octavia being considerably smaller and lighter, but its not as good as my friends '06 A4 S-Line. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
One day Acme will buy a decent car and experience some power and handling and stop thinking his rust buckets are actually good.

Nice.

I don't recall comparing any car I've owned to a brand new M2 or whatever, but even when I try to be objective its good to see people can still find time to be dicks.

That said my £1000 Volvo goes faster, accelerates harder, and handles better than your truck. :p

Soldato
One day Acme will buy a decent car and experience some power and handling and stop thinking his rust buckets are actually good.

What exactly makes a P2 Volvo S60 T5 a rust bucket and what prevents it from being a "good" car? I'd readily agree with you on most of his other cars but from what I've seen with this one there is nothing really wrong with it, and as a base car the P2 T5s are perfectly decent cars with above-par performance.

Back
Top Bottom