Sri Lanka massacres

Soldato
I see the point of religion many years ago - a way to keep the lower echelons of society in check ie work hard and you will be rewarded in your heaven etc. To some extent i see it of use today, i use religion as a moral compass, don't kill etc. But is there really a need in this day and age for believing that sky pixie invited life and the Universe etc?

What would happen if all religion became outlawed? Would the world be peaceful in years to come, or would we trigger more violence?

@Yas would you give up your religion if it led to world peace?

The problem is, and I dont know who said this first, is that history shows that if people do not believe in <Something> they do dont end up believing in <Nothing> they end up believing in <Anything>

Societies do actually work better if there is an underlying belief structure, and it doesn't actually matter if the beliefs actually make any sense. This seems to be so fundamental to Human culture that it might actually be hardwired into our genetic make up somehow. :/

Soldato
Islam is not about absolute power and to think that is at best silly. Of course there are Muslims out there that will use Islam as a tool for power but normally it’s nothing to do with power rather living with each other peacefully. Which I will point out majority of Muslims do so with ease.

I would suggest that the Sunni and Shia conflict affects the majority of Muslims, so when you say that they live peacefully with ease, from my experience of living in Islamic countries for the past 18 years (Saudi, Oman, Kuwait, Iraq, UAE) that tends to apply to only their own sect. When that internal conflict erupts, as happened in Iraq, your particular branch of Islam becomes a very definite reason for violence much in the same way that Catholics/Protestants have done in Northern Ireland.

Caporegime
Don't worry folks, Trump has got this covered:

Capture.png

:rolleyes:

Soldato
The attack at Shangri La hotel was carried out by suicide bomber Zahran Hashim, while Abu Mohammad has been identified as the attacker at the Batticalao church.

ode2AoC.jpg

It's the same in every single ******* thread.

1. We have a terror attack somewhere in the world.
  2. The usual apologists jump up and down saying "You can't blame Islam, no news has come through yet"
  3. News comes through
  4. The apologists then try to dig up past Christian attacks
  5. End up having to go far back as the crusades
  6. The thread becomes a Derpfest and the apologists do more and more crazy mental gymnastics as they post
  7. Thread is locked

We then have another terror attack and whole thing starts again, seeya guys i'm done and i've saved myself hours or reading and posting

Last edited:
Soldato
It's the same in every single ******* thread.

1. We have a terror attack somewhere in the world.
  2. The usual apologists jump up and down saying "You can't blame Islam, no news has come through yet"
  3. News comes through
  4. The apologists then try to dig up past Christian attacks
  5. End up having to go far back as the crusades
  6. The thread becomes a Derpfest and the apologists do more and more crazy mental gymnastics as they post
  7. Thread is locked

We then have another terror attack and whole thing starts again, seeya guys i'm done and i've saved myself hours or reading and posting
:D There was me thinking you enjoyed the whole rigmarole! ;)

Soldato
What's wrong with them? They're religious. They too are practising their faith.

Religion is utterly amoral and almost(*) all religions are extremely political, highly authoritarian and extremely geared towards obtaining power. The Abrahamic religions are the worst for that and Islam is the worst of the Abrahamic religions for that. Islam was created specifically for the purpose of obtaining and maintaining absolute power by fear and violence (and was and is very successful at that). The idea that it's incomprehensible that there are Muslims who are practicing their faith in the way it was created for and for the reason it was created for is weird. There are plenty of Muslims who impose their own morality on their religion and are decent people, but that's in spite of their religion and not because of it. Christianity is about as power-hungry, but it was created for the purpose of obtaining and maintaining absolute power by more subtle political manipulation. Same goal, different methods and there's a lot of crossover.

* I'm being generous by including the word "almost", allowing for the possibility of some minor religion or religions that aren't like that. Aboriginal Australian ones, maybe. If their mythologies are a religion.
Quoted for what is imho sensible reasoning. I'm with you on that and just shake my head... ps I come from a 'religous' family.

Soldato
Read it. Then say it back to yourself slowly.
The only part I don't really know what he's referencing is the 138 million people. But heartfelt condolences and offering to help, isn't that what he's supposed to do? And what all other western nations have done?

Soldato
The only part I don't really know what he's referencing is the 138 million people. But heartfelt condolences and offering to help, isn't that what he's supposed to do? And what all other western nations have done?

The irony being that he/the west support, train and sell weapons to the regime that exports this terrorism.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Maajid Nawaz makes an interesting point re: the coverage of this stuff, immediately after the Christ Church attacks public figures/media orgs don't seem to have any issue calling out the far right ideology behind them, though SJWs seem to also want to shut down any critics of Islamists too.

Now with these attacks the same public figures/media orgs are a bit less direct in their criticism:

Associate
Don't worry folks, Trump has got this covered:

Capture.png

:rolleyes:

Did he edit his tweet, as the tweet on his page does not say what you posted or i cannot find it on his page, just wondered if it was fake news or was trump doing his usual add a typo so loads of people that hate him repost it and in the end he gets his message across to a wider audience :).

Also what is to hate about that tweet of all things typo or not, its a pretty standard response to such things with an offer to help.

[url]https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1119923840161857536[/URL]

trump-tweet.png

Soldato
Did he edit his tweet, as the tweet on his page does not say what you posted or i cannot find it on his page, just wondered if it was fake news or was trump doing his usual add a typo so loads of people that hate him repost it and in the end he gets his message across to a wider audience :).

Also what is to hate about that tweet of all things typo or not, its a pretty standard response to such things with an offer to help.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1119923840161857536

trump-tweet.png
That's pretty much my point. A typo, whoopy ****, the sentiment is what matters at the end of the day.

Back
Top Bottom