Plant based burgers and lab grown meat

Soldato
No, you continuously fail to understand. The land can't be used for crops, but the land doesn't support animals either.

Really? I could have sworn caribou, for instance, were native to the Arctic and thrive just fine there.

The animals have to be supported with additional food stuffs that comes from arable land that could be used to produce protein for humans.

Umm.. no. Farmers may choose to supplement the diets of their animals, but they don't have to.

Again, follow the money.

Caporegime
Really? I could have sworn caribou, for instance, were native to the Arctic and thrive just fine there.

And who exactly is intensively farming caribou in the Artic? This is completely irreverent.

Umm.. no. Farmers may choose to supplement the diets of their animals, but they don't have to.

Again, follow the money.
No, the animals will die of starvation. What exactly are you not getting? 55-65% of all the world crops are used only to feed animals. That is just a basic fact, there is no discussion to be had, there is no debate.

You say follow the money, but that is exactly the point. Crops are highly profitable. What is the biggest market for crops? Not humans, but animals. Animals consume near twice the crop yields than humans

Caporegime
so it's just a load of nonsense then..

No, it is a fact that supports the claim.

There is a huge difference between being a vegan and simply reducing the amount of animals needlessly reared. Western diets can reduce meat consumption by 4-5x and without issue, thus freeing up millions of square miles of arable land and massively reducing the environmental impact and combating global warming.

Soldato
And who exactly is intensively farming caribou in the Artic? This is completely irreverent.

Now you're shifting the argument. I was talking about ordinary farming, not intensive farming. You might have noted earlier mentions of the Australian Outback and the American plains and the South Downs, for examples. Yes, I know you have the zeal of a new convert but you should take a moment to stop and think.

Soldato
I was talking about ordinary farming, not intensive farming.
can you repeat the relevance of that, ordinary farming, to meeting the worlds nutritional needs, animals are able to survive on the meagre food resources (artic/desert/tundra), but they are not of useful quantity/density for mankind ?

Soldato
remarked today .. those pesky peas get everywhere

Water, sugar, cocoa butter¹, cocoa mass¹, glucose syrup, coconut oil, glucose fructose syrup, pea protein, flavourings, emulsifiers (sunflower lecithin, E471), exhausted vanilla bean pieces, stabilisers (E412, E410, E407), salt, colour (E160a). May contain: milk. ¹Rainforest Alliance Certified™ Chocolate couverture containing vegetable fats in addition to cocoa butter
For allergens, including Cereals containing Gluten,

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/magnum-vegan-classic/756858-683216-683217
they, honestly, don't call it ice-cream, unlike Carte D'or

Soldato
OP
I hope BK bring the Impossible burger over here, would love to give that one a go. Great news that they're rolling it out nationwide Stateside.

Associate
I tried one of these plant based burgers at Honest Burgers in Holborn. I believe their plant based burger was from Beyond Meat. It tasted quite nice. Maybe about 1/3 to 1/2 way to the real thing. A lot better than anything I'd tried previously.

Soldato
I'm looking forward to wider availability of these alternatives.

I've always been a big meat eater but the last few years I've ended up mostly pescetarian (but no squid/octopus)...I've started to find the idea of intelligent animals quite distasteful.

Think I've just been turned soft by having a food animal (rabbit) as a pet :p

Soldato
I'm looking forward to wider availability of these alternatives.

I've always been a big meat eater but the last few years I've ended up mostly pescetarian (but no squid/octopus)...I've started to find the idea of intelligent animals quite distasteful.

Think I've just been turned soft by having a food animal (rabbit) as a pet :p

looks like the vegan propaganda machine is working on you :p

Soldato
OP
As Beyond Meat makes IPO history, Ikea unveils meatless meatballs and Burger King rolls out the Impossible Whopper nationwide, here’s a look at the increasingly compelling case for giving up meat and dairy forever

a 2018 study of 40,000 farms in 119 countries published in the journal Science, cutting out your consumption of meat and dairy might be the single most effective step you can take to reduce your negative environmental impact on the Earth. One reason: We get just 18% of our calories and 37% of our protein from meat and dairy, but livestock suck up 83% of our farmland and generate 60% of the agricultural greenhouse gas.

“A vegan diet is probably the single biggest way to reduce your impact on planet Earth, not just greenhouse gases, but global acidification, eutrophication, land use and water use,” lead study researcher Joseph Poore of the University of Oxford told the Guardian. “It is far bigger than cutting down on your flights or buying an electric car.”

Interesting they seem to think going meatless is more effective at reducing your poluting impact on the earth than stopping your combustion vehicle usage.

Associate
I had the burger at Flipside in Farringdon and that was good but not comparable to a meat burger but I would eat it again.

All for trying these things as I want to cut down my meat consumption but it has to taste and feel good.

Soldato
me and the missus went to our local honest burger, had a burger, chips and shake thing out of curiosity.

The shake was a bit tasteless but the burger I thought tasted almost the same as a McDonald's cheeseburger. Not bad at all! Although it did ruthlessly repeat on us both that evening.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Tried a beyond burger while at the CHI conference in Glasgow last week - it was very good. So good that it's encouraged me to seek out and prepare more meat free alternative meals for myself and my family.

Back
Top Bottom